SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Cichlids??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cichlids??

I know this is probably the totally wrong place to ask this question, but I thought... what the heck. LOL...

Anyways, I was lookin to set up a fish tank and have about 4-6 Cichlids. I have set up a tank before (55g, 10g, and 20g) However, nothing ever with Cichlids. The ones I want say to grow anywhere between 4-6 inches. Here is one of them:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/answers...cle_3754.shtml

Anyways, question is... what size tank would you recommend? I don't want something gigantic

Thanks... btw, if you know of any links to help me out... would appreciate it... thanks!
    Andrew Tatum
    FinHeaven & Co - Get Drenched With Finformation
    The FinHeaven & Co Forums

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I suggest going for tank that is at least four feet long, that is the size I have. You should be able to fit about 20-25 community fish of varying sizes in that. And cichlids do grow quite big but if that is all you will be keeping then you will get at least 15 in the tank!

Beware though, make sure that you get them as babies if not they can be vicious. Another problem with cichlids is that if you have two males of the same species then the bigger one will be dominant and stunt the growth of the other male.

They are good community fish though as long as you get the right combination and avoid placing them in a tank with fish with tails that are easily bitten, such as guppies, go for barbs/small sharks/angel fish etc.!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an aquarium a few years ago but didn't have any "Lab's" in it. But mabe these links can be of some help:

http://www.internettrash.com/users/c...ichlidfaq.html
    Group 3. Lake Victoria and Lake Malawi Cichlids

www.aquahobby.com/gallery/glabido.html
    Here are some comments from people that own Electric Yellow Labidos

www.fishindex.com/fishboard/
    FishIndex.com forum

Good luck!