SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<Help>Beginner Question</Help>

I am totally don't know about XML. I just heard that It can help me to change the language of web,
    For example, If Chinese people login in my page, I can direct change my web in chinese language form, If Japanase people login in, I can change to Japanase language form. Default is English.
    Is it correct?
    If can then how I start it? How can I write it? Using what software to write it? Or it just like Javascript or VBscript? I can combine it with HTML or JSP? can Anyone give me some example? I download some introduction but I still don't know how to start it.

Thank

PS: I hope got 1 example source code of changing language, like
    International Yahoo! can change to Yahoo Asia Pacific or Yahoo Europe. Actually It is take up the value from database? or How they do it?
    Last edited by dian_wjd; Apr 24, 2005 at 17:23.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You forgot to close your Help tag. Your post doesn't validate.

Anyway. You can do things like language changing with PHP, VBScript, anything -- with or without XML. XML doesn't actually give you any additional functionality, it simply gives you an organized way of transmitting and storing data/information/whatever that's standard.

Everything has standards. CD, DVD, etc. all have standards, though some conflict.. ie. DVD+R and DVD-R are different satndards standards. are fighting for market share. When CD's came out, Sony had a disk format that wasn't public (ie. they were the only people who were capable of making the disk), and it was better. Faster, cleaner, less loss, more space, etc.. Unfortunately, they didn't take off.

XML gives you a way of standardizing your output. Let's look at an application like TimeStamp. It has an option to output to XML. That means that if I have a program that can parse that XML feed into an invoice, then anyone who uses TimeStamp can send me their XML file and I'll be able to read it in a nicely styled (and mainly: consistant) format. If everyone just outputted a Word document or PDF document, then they'd all be different.

XML is also useful if more than one company/application agrees on a single standard (like the case of XHTML, for the most part). If a competitor to TimeStamp were to have an "Export to XML" function, and it outputted the exact same XML schema, then I (with my application to parse the TimeStamp XML file) would be able to accept XML documents from either applications. This is where the real power comes in.

To summarize, XML is good for.
    - Consistancy
    - Standardizing across the market
    - Keeping data organized.

It doesn't add any functionality, though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank for someonewhois tell me about that. Actually I hope that I got I example of changing lauguage, for example click 1 button the interface language will be in English or click another 1 button the interface language will be Chinese. All the value is in database. Actually my database connection need to define in xml file or html file?
    Thank. This is my school assignment...