SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Critique of a recruiter website

I created this website for a client, www.infoteam-inc.com The site is basically a search engine for jobs and candidates in the Houston, Texas area.

How can I improve the design of the site to attract and keep visitors?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just took a quick looksie around, this is a nice site, clean and easy to use from what I gathered. I do have a few comments.

Personally I think the "HOT" clipart is a bit tacky and I'd rather see a plain text comment on the popularity of the link myself.

I also think there needs a bit more actual content, as in information. The written word is a wonderful thing and it can do much more than a picture can. One place I'd really like to know more is in the "About info Team"

The "Resume Showcase" table might look better if you had maybe two columns for the links. It seems to large and empty as it is now. To much empty space I think.
    Raven Bren
    NS 4.75, 800x600-1024x768, T1 cable, Win "98

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

infoteam-inc.com

I like it. Looks good, loads fast (I'm on 28.8 dial-up) and easy to navigate. Need to promote the dash in domain name logo as most won't remember if it's not visable on site. Other than that its a very professional looking site.
    My settings:
    Win 98
    IE 5.0
    1024x768 (looks good in 800x600 and 640x480 too-BrowserSizer-Free download )
    Text size-medium

Good luck,
    Mike
    WebBizWiz.com -$5 hosting, $15 domains & $99 design!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with Raven-Bren about the "HOT" images. They look a little tacky - especially when the tag is on every link. I would try selecting a few links to really target visitors to those places.

Also, the body font throughout the site is really boring. Personally, I hate times new roman with a passion. Try using a more upbeat font but just make sure that it is applicable to all browsers. Arial is a very widely used font but it still looks really good.

Have you considered using CSS for the links? I noticed you changed the color of the links on the front page but on other pages (such as "Business Links") it is still that plain blue. Try spicing it up a bit. You'd be surprised at how much better it will look.

I love your color scheme. I think you've done a wonderful job, and it truly looks very professional-looking. Good work!
    "I don't believe in people I don't know.
    Strangers are just friends I haven't met."
    ~Inspection 12 (Jacksonville natives, wahoo!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    specs: 1024x768x24bit using a 56k modem
    browsers used: IE5.5 & NS6

uhm, I've no problems with the website, actually it loaded pretty fast on my 56k modem, layout was very user friendly and the search (main part) worked well with both Internet Explorer and Netscape.

The only suggestion I can think of is to touch up the main logo, not to much, just enough to make it stand out a little. Also, I agree with raven about the hot.gif's, to me it loses the professional look you have going in your website.

I didn't know what the 'mamma searc'h at the bottom of the webpage was supposed to search for, at first I thought it was an ad banner the way you had it tucked away like that, heh.

Overall, very good job.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of site

It's all been said b4.
    -Logo needs enlarged
    -Get rid of the "Hot"
    apart from that the site is perfectly functional, fast loading and easy on the eye.
    It does what it was designed for
    Good Job

Russ

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site,
    but like the others, I don't like the HOT sign.
    and the logo, maybe instead of that kinda font, use a sans serif font like arial or verdana or somethig like that. At least if you really wanna bevel it, it wouldn't look so "sharp".

The rest of the site is pretty good, keep it up!
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I viewed your site with more than common interest as I am an IT Recruiter.

First impressions were:

First gut instinct was that I saw nothing visually appealing to attract me to the site. It just seemed bland and colorless like a million others. There is absolutely no reason that a search/information portal can't be visually appealing. Look at Cnet.

Every job you listed had a hot graphic on it. As a recruiter, I know that all jobs can't be hot so you immediately lost credibility with me. In addition, the hot graphics simply looked (no other way to say it) tacky and dated.

No distinctive logo. As an example, I just viewed your site pretty extensively only a few minutes ago and for the life of me, I can't remember the site name.

Confidentiality or privacy statement. Given the nature of this site's business, it's one of the first things I looked for. There is no way I would send you my resume without this issue being addressed. If there was any mention of it, I couldn't find it. It should be there and it should stand out.

Non-discriminatory statement. You might want to investigate whether a statement is needed stating that this company/site does not discriminate in regard to sex, age, religion, national origin, etc.

Information on site owners. Did not provide enough information to give me warm fuzzies about providing confidential information such as my resume.

News. There is just so much of it that nothing stands out. I doubt that it will be used without something to get the visitors attention. Perhaps you could add blurbs on the top 3 stories for the week or something similar to entice visitors to read more.

I too found the font used difficult to read.

The biggest positive is that you have a good layout and the site is easy to navigate. I liked your use of navigation links at the top of the page but the graphics seemed a bit fuzzy to me.

With some minor changes, this site could be excellent. The main ingredient it lacks is pizzaz. It looks professional but that's not enough. It needs to be more visually appealing. This is personal preference, but I would use brighter colors and come up with a standout logo.
    Last edited by allie; Jun 15, 2001 at 06:29.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site good work! loads fast

The 'hot" is a little tackie tho, also the content to make people keep coming back for you could be more resources in Houston ie: links or where they can get some helpful information on jobs in your area.

keep up the great work

Sincerely,
    Donna Dimor
    Business Development/ Chief Administration Officer
    http://www.1nameonly.com
    ddimor@1nameonly.com
    Keynames: Simplify Your URL's www.1nameonly.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the great comments!

Raven_Bren: I agree with everything you said.

Webbizwiz: Do you think the logo should have the domain as part of it? Or should the domain name be the logo?

gymaholic7: I’ve always heard that fonts like Times New Roman were easier to read because of the serifs. Arial is sans serif of, course. Now I am confused.

Neil: I agree the logo needs major improvement. The ‘mamma search’ is displayed by my hitbox code.

russ567: Thanks.

Xharine: I agree that the logo should be a different font. The client chose Times New Roman for the logo long before I met him. I have gently tried to persuade him to have a new logo developed.

Allie: I agree with everything you said, especially about adding a privacy statement.

Frapacinno: Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing i did when your page loaded was scrolled down till the blue bar was at the top of the page, Because there was to mutch white space (nothing there) Each feature page only has the logo above it, and that is good.. do the same for the front page. apart from that its pretty good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I'm also from Houston
    You are the third person I found on SitePoint that lives in the same city as I do!

Anyway, about the site review...
    [list=1][*]- When you first enter the site, the welcome screen can become very handy.[*]- I like all of the graphics except for the "HOT" graphic which doesn't fit in with site (IMHO).[*]- In the New Jobs and Jobs Showcase areas on your homepage, some of the letters are squished together.[*]- Replace the "HOT" graphic with a star or checkmark and put it in another column or something to make it easier to pick out the good/recommended jobs.[/list=1]

I give out of 5 's
    + Kevin Marinas - kmarinas86@roadfly.org
    + My personal website: http://www30.brinkster.com/kmarinas/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things....

.:1:. Keep the site all one font.
    .:2:. Put a space at the bottom of the links in the "Features" box.
    .:3:. Make the phone numbers smaller.
    .:4:. Add more content on the left side.
    .:5:. Remove the "hot" images and the "mamma" search box...or at least move the search box to the left side...

Good luck with the site!
    Jonathan Malm

---------------------------
    jonathanmalm@yahoo.com