SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Syntax of date, time, or timestamp value not valid (was "need help here")

greetings...

i have a problrms with sql..can somebody help me?

i try to insert timestamp into my table but can't.

my code:

insert into tstest(ts) values ('2005-04-22 15:46:28.130257')

error:

Syntax of date, time, or timestamp value not valid. Cause . . . . . : The string representation of a date, time, or timestamp value does not conform to the syntax for the specified or implied data type and format. *N is either the character string constant that is not valid or the column or host variable that contained the string. If the name is *N, then the value is an expression specified in the statement. If the string was found in a host variable, the host variable number is 1. Recovery . . . : Ensure that the date, time, or timestamp value conforms to the syntax for the data type it represents. Try the request again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't need to insert anything into a timestamp field, the database server will do this for you

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, if ts column is of TIMESTAMP datatype, it's not neccessary to insert milliseconds because TIMESTAMP values stored in 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS' format. Check 11.1.2. Overview of Date and Time Types

TIMESTAMP[(M)]

A timestamp. The range is '1970-01-01 00:00:00' to partway through the year 2037.
    A TIMESTAMP column is useful for recording the date and time of an INSERT or UPDATE operation. The first TIMESTAMP column in a table is automatically set to the date and time of the most recent operation if you don't assign it a value yourself. You can also set any TIMESTAMP column to the current date and time by assigning it a NULL value.
    From MySQL 4.1 on, TIMESTAMP is returned as a string with the format 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS'. .............
    Thus your INSERT statement works fine on MySQL 4.1, it may cause an error on MySQL 4.0 or below. Try to remove milliseconds