User Tag List

Thread: DVD question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DVD question.

Hi,

I am probably going to buy a DVD pretty soon. I was looking at DVD's off of amazon.com and I noticed how some of them say they can play CDR's and VCD's.

Does that mean that I could download a full movie off of the internet, burn it to a CD, and then play it on my DVD player? If that is true, what format would the movie have to be in for it to work?

Thanks!

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DVD question.

Originally posted by Chris Roane
    Does that mean that I could download a full movie off of the internet, burn it to a CD, and then play it on my DVD player? If that is true, what format would the movie have to be in for it to work?
    Sort of. VCD format is used mainly in Asia, you might want to check http://www.flexion.org/video/VideoCD/1.html for a bit better description.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I had read somewhere that some DVD players can play .avi files off of a CDR disk. Has anyone else heard this?

Thanks for the information hmahonen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Video CD format is a special format on its own. It uses an MPEG-1 based compression algorithm.

You need burner software that is specifically able to burn in the VCD format.

By the way, I'd like to warn against illegally copying any movies (obtained from the internet). The only use I have for VCD technology is video I have produced.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 13, 2001 at 02:38.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you are probably right about that.

One of the things I was wanting to do was download my most favorite music videos and burn them onto a CD. I am assuming that isn't illegal since most of the bands distribute the videos for free on the Internet.

I am kind of having second thoughts on whether I need a DVD player or not. The last one I had was useful a few times, but it wasn't worth the $200 I paid for it. I am probably just going to invest in a really good cd burner instead.

Thanks for all your help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for a movie enthusiast such as me, with a growing movie collection and a fantastic Dolby Digital/dts sound system, a DVD player is mandatory...

I hope you're not still buying VHS... (j/k)
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol.....I actually don't usually buy movies. I usually just end up renting them, except there are a few of them that I want to buy.

It is just that a DVD player costs quite a bit. I might just end up getting a new DVD player instead of a VCR, but we will see. Hell, what probably is going to happen is I will end up getting both. I am already going to get a new tv soon, so we will see.

Man, I always end up changing my mind. But what can I say? I'm a teenager.

How much would a good Dolby Digital/dts sound system cost?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you ask. Here's 2 threads (topics) about home threatre:
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=25464
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=25211

You can get a good quality DD/DTS receiver/amp from $500 to $2800 (US$). The speakers could be from $500 to $8000.

It really depends on your budget. You could, if you wanted to, spend a quarter of a million on just an amp and receiver/preamp.

DVD players all (I think all) have low quality Dolby Digital decoders built-in, in case you already have a receiver/amp and it has no digital input.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dvds

DVD's are great. I have a Sony. which company makes the best DVD?
    one is backfire, three is gunplay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: dvds

Originally posted by mmj
    DVD players all (I think all) have low quality Dolby Digital decoders built-in
    Not all have DD decoders built in. Infact I would hazard a guess at about 40% of DVD players dont have onboard decoding. I would say however all DVD players have the ability to output a DD stream to be processed by an external amp/reciever. If they dont, whats the use in having DD on DVD's?

Originally posted by Kalashnikova
    DVD's are great. I have a Sony. which company makes the best DVD?
    Good question. I have been researching DVD players and the technology behind them for the last 18 months or so and the brands that have stood out to me have been...

Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic, Denon (there high-end stuff), Marantz and Arcam.

There are tons more good brands but these are by far the best I have had the pleasure of watching. The Arcam DV88 delivers an awesome picture and the sound detail was amazing. If only I had a spare $3000 AUD.
    Last edited by micmar; Jun 13, 2001 at 22:49.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a DVD player yesturday at Wal-Mart for $100. It said it could play DVD/VCD/SVCD/Mp3 discs. I for forget the exact name of the brand, but it started with an "A". What is SVCD?

I am probably going to go ahead and get one of those. I am not really looking for a high end DVD player, but a decent one that will do its job. It almost costs as low as the vcr I am getting (about $70) which is kind of interesting.

There was this other DVD player there (Sanyo) that cost $150 that looked pretty cool and was pretty compact and I am assing that it was a better DVD player, and the same goes for the Sony they had, except it wasn't nearly as small as the Sanyo. If I feel like wasting $50 more dollars, I will probably get that one of those

I will let you know what I do. I am probably going to get a DVD player today (along with a burner) at best buy, if not wal-mart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I wouldnt touch Sanyo, I would much rather spend my money on the Sony. You cant really compare the two for quality, sony is way out in front.
    Also if you can see them in action before you by i strongly suggest you do. $100 is a bit of bargain for a DVD player but it will be wasted if the quality isnt any good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. I will do that if I can before I buy any of the DVD players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: dvds

Originally posted by micmar
    Not all have DD decoders built in. Infact I would hazard a guess at about 40% of DVD players dont have onboard decoding.
    I've just had a bit of a look around, and I realise that there are a few systems now without DD decoders. All models I have seen have had them, so I was surprised. Dolby Digital is the standard sound format for DVD, and with a DD decoder most people would be listening sans-sound. I'd be surprised if the figure was as high as 40% though. Most people that own a consumer DVD player would have no dolby digital receiver lying around.

Well, I learn something every day

By the way, I am well aware of the fact that many DVD players have a "dts" logo on the front, however they contain no dts decoder. The dts logo is simply just "dts digital out" which means in other words "this player does not recognise dts signal - you'll need an external dts decoder".
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 16, 2001 at 04:12.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Re: dvds

Originally posted by mmj

I'd be surprised if the figure was as high as 40% though.
    You might be right 40% maybe a little high but it is up around that.

By the way, I am well aware of the fact that many DVD players have a "dts" logo on the front, however they contain no dts decoder. The dts logo is simply just "dts digital out" which means in other words "this player does not recognise dts signal - you'll need an external dts decoder".
    Many companies try and fool unaware customers by putting the Dolby digital and DTS logos on the front of their players. If you are in the market for a DVD player and you want a DD and DTS decoder built into the unit, dont just go by the logo on the player, make sure you check that the decoders are onboard. Almost every DVD player has DD or DTS digital out but not all decode them onboard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any dts titles? I'm only new to DVD, but I have one dts title sofar: Gladiator. I haven't seen many dts titles in Australia at all really. "Saving Private Ryan" is a very important dts movie (spielberg did the whole dts revolution) - I've seen a dts version of this one available too.

Also, my Denon manual recommends a setting of +10 db on the LFE channel for dts movie material (and +0 for music material). I'm satisfied at this and I understand why it is required, but I haven't seen this information anywhere else. Could it be that users without Denon receivers miss out on this vital information? Could it mean that the LFE output on other dts receivers is optimised for movies only?
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 16, 2001 at 04:31.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    Do you have any dts titles? I'm only new to DVD, but I have one dts title sofar: Gladiator. I haven't seen many dts titles in Australia at all really. "Saving Private Ryan" is a very important dts movie (spielberg did the whole dts revolution) - I've seen a dts version of this one available too.
    There are not many DTS titles around at the moment although (and please dont flame me) it is the better audio format in my opinion. I am SURE it will start to take off soon. You will find that most of the DVD titles around at the moment are music titles, like the eagles - hell freezes over DVD. (which is a ripper BTW)
    I have seen that The Mummy - Ultimate Edition is done in DD and DTS and is due to be released july 18. Should be one to watch for.

Also, my Denon manual recommends a setting of +10 db on the LFE channel for dts movie material (and +0 for music material). I'm satisfied at this and I understand why it is required, but I haven't seen this information anywhere else. Could it be that users without Denon receivers miss out on this vital information? Could it mean that the LFE output on other dts receivers is optimised for movies only?
    Firstly I dont think other recievers are missing out on any information, however I have found the Denon amps to have very accurate LFE management abilities and to take advantage of this they give the suggestions you mentioned.

Personally I think Denon are fantastic amps for movie material and their audio is very good too, although if I was going to buy a purely audio amp I would look at a more audio specific brand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by micmar

although (and please dont flame me) it is the better audio format in my opinion.
    I know what you mean

I've seen a great many flame wars on this particular topic in various audio forums.

dts is better. I agree with you. Some mixes don't take full advantage of the technology but I've found that any movie released with a dts mix has a superior sound design.

By the way I just wrote an essay on new film sound technologies for Cinema Studies - dealing with what audiences expect from film sound mixes today, and how this is different to sound in real life.

Also, I notice that the American standard calls for either a PCM, DD or DTS track on each DVD video, but elsewhere in the world the standard REQUIRES a DD or PCM track, meaning that a DTS track would have to share. Therefore you cannot really get a DVD movie with only a dts track here, it will always have DD or PCM as well. Just an observation.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj

Also, I notice that the American standard calls for either a PCM, DD or DTS track on each DVD video, but elsewhere in the world the standard REQUIRES a DD or PCM track, meaning that a DTS track would have to share. Therefore you cannot really get a DVD movie with only a dts track here, it will always have DD or PCM as well. Just an observation.
    Yeah your right there, i have noticed that they always have either PCM or DD on the DTS titles.

Also, for finding out about new DTS titles that are available or coming out soon, I have found that www.ezydvd.com.au is a good source for this sort of info. They even have a section devoted to DTS titles, you should check it out. They are an online DVD store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I got a burner and a DVD player a few days ago.

I went ahead and got the $!00 Apex DVD player.

I've figured out how to burn VCD with it and play them on my DVD player, however, there are a few problems.

What I did was I took a few music videos that I liked, encoded them into the MPEG1 format and burned them onto a CDR. They play on the DVD player and the video quality is VHS quality (which is what I had expected), but every few minutes there is a pause in the audio and it is really annoying and ruins the whole video.

I am not sure if it is my DVD player that is doing it, or if it is the encoding process that is screwing it up (all the music videos play fine on my comp fine). I have a feeling it is my DVD player, but I am not sure. I am going to go to Wal-Mart and try to play a the VCD on another DVD player and see how it plays. If it plays the way I want it to play, then I will probably take back the DVD player.

I am also going to test how SVCD CD's play. I am hoping they play better on my DVD player.

My DVD player plays DVD's pretty good, or that is the impression I got from a DVD movie I had rented. I don't have a TV that has svideo hookups, so that is something I had to consider when looking at the quality. I plan on getting a 25 inch, stereo tv with svideo hookup for $250 when I get my next paycheck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured out the problem I was having with VCDs. I wasn't doing it correctly. Anyway, I found a software package called "Nero" and it works great for burning VCDs.

I decided to keep the cheap DVD player. It works fine. The choppiness in the one VCD I created was due to the fact that I wasn't creating them right.

Anyway, thanks for everyones help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Nero for all my burning needs. The HP software that came with my burner, was (I think) a stripped down version of adaptec software without any features. It almost always failed.

With Nero, I've never had a failure. I was unaware I could burn VCD with it, but I may give it a go, if I ever get my video to digitise!
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO nero is by far the better package to use for burning anything.
    CD creator (now made by Roxio) has gotten steadily worse since it was taken over from Adaptec. Be wary that with version 5 of CD creator the install routine can actually nuke a windows 2000 system. They are working on a new patch (as the first one failed to solve the problem) but to be safe I would go with nero for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, easy cd creator came with my cd burner and it keeps on telling me that I don't have a compatible burner hooked up. It made me so mad because you expect the software that your burner came with to work with your burner.