SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

problem using makecert.exe to self signed ssl cert

I have a self-signed ssl certificate so that we can encrypt traffic to and from our intranet site. Every time a user goes to the site it gives a warning saying

"The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site."

I'd like to setup my certificate so that it doesn't come up with this warning so that everyone doesn't panic whenever they see this message. Is this possible since my site is just pointed to an ip address internally?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using makecert to create a web-site SSL certificate? I was under the impression that the tool generates certificates for code signing. I know that MS has a tool to generate certificates called selfssl.exe which is in IIS Resource Kit that can be used to create slef signed certificates.

As for the warning, your users will always get the warning frankly because the certificate is not trusted - it was not signed by a CA that they (or their browser) trust. But they can install your certificate and declare it as trusted. From that point on they won't get the warning. For SSL sites the name on the certificate must be the same as your hostname. I don't know if you can issue certificate on IP address. You should assign a hostname to your web and generate the certificate for that name.
    Martin Pernecky