SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

PLEASE READ IF YOU'RE NOT ON 4.1 YET: the current production version of MySQL is 5.1

Edit:

mysql 5.1 was released in April 2008 and is now the current production version

please note that 4.1, which supports subqueries and a number of other useful features, went into production status in october 2004

if you post a question, and you're not on 4.1 yet, please say so

please don't waste anyone's time who might want to help you, and who takes the time to formulate a solution, if you cannot implement that solution

AtDhVaAnNkCsE (thanks in advance)

Last edited by DaveMaxwell; Jul 9, 2009 at 07:33.
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Evangelist hessodreamy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps this thread should be reworded as it's not entirely clear whether we're supposed to be on 5.0 or 4.1

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    would you like to suggest a rewording?

the point about the 4.1 was to prevent other people answering a question from wasting time writing a query with subqueries

while 5.0 is the current production version (and 5.1 not far away), very few web hosts are at that level (heck, many of them are still on 3.23), so 4.1 should be the minimum that you can be on without mentioning which version you're on for the purpose of asking a question

so the point of this sticky is to get people to tell what version they're on, if they aren't on at least 4.1

how would you reword the subject?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just ask people to post the version they're using regardless and make this sticky the reason why it's a good idea to post the version you're using?
    Blog: http://coffeebear.net/
    In the city fields, Contemplating cherry-trees...
    Strangers are like friends ~ Issa

SitePoint Evangelist hessodreamy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The post read to me like you had taken a previous post saying
    "current production version is 4.1. Please read if you're not on 4.1",
    and changed a line or 2 to make it applicable to 5.0, but read to me like the post had been incompletely edited.
    "current production version is 5.0. Please read if you're not on 4.1",

If 4.1 is the version level we are to assume on the forum, what does it matter what the current production version is? Why mention 5.0 at all?

I was slightly confused upon reading, but the post has been there for a year with no one else commenting. My suggestion would be, if a revision is at all necessary, and if we do wish to mention that 5.0 is the current production version:

"Please read if you're not on at least 4.1"

mysql 5.0 was released in october 2005 and is now the current production version. However many web hosts do not support this version.

mysql 4.1, which supports subqueries and a number of other useful features, went into production status in october 2004 and most commonly supported. So 4.1 should be the minimum that you can be on without mentioning which version you're on for the purpose of asking a question

If you post a question, and you're not on 4.1 yet, please say so

Please don't waste anyone's time who might want to help you, and who takes the time to formulate a solution, if you cannot implement that solution
    Probably too wordy. Maybe no one else finds the post confusing as it is. I do have a habit of missing the point to a truly amazing degree