User Tag List

Hybrid View

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post your Questions here...

Feel free to post your community building questions here, however please refer any support questions to the appropriate software's own support team.

These forums are about Building Community in general not about the individual software packages to do so. However I would like to talk about the different type of communities and the software in general.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to learn the importance of communication/connection between the web site developers and the visitors in order to build a good community. How close should the connection be? I mean, is answering e-mails enough or does having conversations with the visitors via ICQ help building a better community.

Thanks
    pff | I am not what I am

'Does he exist in the same way as I exist?'
    'You do not exist Winston,' said O'Brien.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by pff
    I'd like to learn the importance of communication/connection between the web site developers and the visitors in order to build a good community. How close should the connection be? I mean, is answering e-mails enough or does having conversations with the visitors via ICQ help building a better community.

Thanks
    This really depends on the community. For a small community, if you are accessible by instant message or online chat, it will give your members the reassurance they need to participate. However as you grow you will find it more difficult to maintain this sort of contact with your member base.

As you grow, it gets to a point where direct contact will overwhelm you. However if you can implement Private Messaging in your community software similar to how UBB and vBulletin does it, then you can still provide this direct contact without it distracting you from your work.

Private Message will allow your members to get a fairly quick answer without leaving the site or loading their email program. It gives the piece of mind knowing that you won't constantly get interrupted by ICQ or AIM.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also useful as your site grows to create a sort of 'hierarchy' (as Sitepoint does with its advisors and mentors). You may not be able to communicate regularly with all your members, but if you find a select group of loyal members to work with you and represent the site, it can be just as good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the start it's easy to maintain contact with your members. Later, you should "hire" some people to do the support. It is very important that you have a good communication going between you and the support staff.
    Frank Quist - Personal Site