SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've talked about premium membership for things like 30-second-search, more private messaging -- I think that this could potentially add another level to the paid membership, too.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post In which Cory discourses on premium membership.

SitePoint is invaluable to me. As I've stated somewhat less directly in other threads, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable sum of money (five dollars per month, fifty per year, or something on that scale) for premium membership.

However, I do not advocate doing what Web Hosting Talk does, and displaying a little "Premium Member" badge underneath the names of those who have paid. Just because you're willing to pay for extra features does not mean that you are a better member.
    Last edited by cfm; Apr 24, 2005 at 06:56. Reason: Clarified "a fair bit of money."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, Cory. Neowin has a premium membership and it shows up, and people abuse it. Ie. I ask a simple question, I get an answer that I know is wrong (like, it's completely out there) he goes "I'm a premium member, you're supposed to respect us. Punk." and then I was lucky enough to get about 30 other normal members flaming the guy.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if it was on a feature by feature basis? So no distinct membership levels, but if you want more PM storage, you can pay to upgrade, or if you want faster searches, you can pay to upgrade, etc.

Would that be of interest to anyone?
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather (and I'm pretty it'd make more money) an all or none package deal. At the very least, if you do split it up, there should be a discount if you buy everything (which is waht I'd be doing).

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoph
    Why not charge for signatures and leave them to those who pay for it? With the money you could replace underlying hardware or add more horsepower?! That would help everyone who wants the signature as well as it would help Sitepoint.
    Hmm. That's actually pretty nice. It would be very much like a classifieds ad that follows you around.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charge for Sigs?? Sorry... no way, that's when I leave.

I'm surprised of this recent move, I stood behind all of the recent changes but this one bothers me. We all know a large part of belonging to a community like this, is signatures. I know its just for non signed in users but still....

I'm against it, if anyone is taking a tally.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well again, things seem to be go haywire quicky around here with more and more things disapearing every day... while I understand the problems (trust me I do) dont WE ALL THINK its about time a membership fee was discussed out in the open so these server problems, upgrades etc can be accomplished?

There's been quite a few members suggest it and Im really thinking the time has come..

Maybe there should also be some discussion about some more volunteers around here to help out!

There's a lot of people who want to help either via cash or services ....

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Once we switch to a new server I expect sigs to make a comeback. It's just a resource saving "hack" until Scotty gives us more power.
    Last edited by stymiee; May 12, 2005 at 16:37.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we're receptive to the idea of providing premium forum services to people who pay a fee. The question is--and always has been--what premium features can we offer that people will find worthwhile?

We don't want to take away free features that our community has come to expect, and we don't want to establish a culture of "pays vs. pay-nots" elitism.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory M.
    SitePoint is invaluable to me. As I've stated somewhat less directly in other threads, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable sum of money (five dollars per month, fifty per year, or something on that scale) for premium membership.

However, I do not advocate doing what Web Hosting Talk does, and displaying a little "Premium Member" badge underneath the names of those who have paid. Just because you're willing to pay for extra features does not mean that you are a better member.
    Agreed, I don't like elitism. I'd like a way to support SP, I just wouldn't want anything that drew too much attention to my support. I think it would just alienate new users.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleys
    What if it was on a feature by feature basis? So no distinct membership levels, but if you want more PM storage, you can pay to upgrade, or if you want faster searches, you can pay to upgrade, etc.

Would that be of interest to anyone?
    Yes, I'd pay for faster searches and would use it as I'm hooked on the "today's topics" link. I might suggest making RSS feeds an premium feature if it is possible. I'm all for a monthly fee. I could easily justify it as a monthly business expense, which would make it tax deductible as long as I was getting some "tangible service" in exchange. It just needs to be enough so that the IRS doesn't sneer at my trying to claim it as a business expense.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    Hmm. That's actually pretty nice. It would be very much like a classifieds ad that follows you around.
    Agreed, it would force us to keep up our subscription if we wanted the benefit of the links (e.g. general public seeing our "ads").

Quote Originally Posted by iwinweekly.com
    I'm surprised of this recent move, I stood behind all of the recent changes but this one bothers me. We all know a large part of belonging to a community like this, is signatures. I know its just for non signed in users but still....

I'm against it, if anyone is taking a tally.
    I can understand and actually appreciate this stance. I do think we need to be careful as too how far the fee thing is carried as it could seriously backfire.

SUGGESTED PREMIUM FEATURES:
    Here are some of my suggestions
    1) 10 second search. I'd be more than happy to be able to search more quickly.
    2) larger PM boxes. I wouldn't need it, but I'm sure a lot of users would.
    3) posting listings in marketplace (this would solve lots of problems).
    4) more extensive self promo on bio page.
    5) good Karma.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Kevin BUT, there are those who honestly dont care about more PM stuff (myself for instance) but there are those that do. And then there are those that DO enjoy the siggie thing (come on lets face it a backlink is a backlink!) BUT for the casual user they honestly dont care about this stuff... so they are still free to post, answer etc ... all at no fee. Hence the "free portions" of the site remain as they have always been!

But to those "hard core" people who understand the value a preminum membership is offered. And personally I would offer plan A, B or C because again not all members are alike...

I am starting to think though that EVERY section that allows people to "sell their wares" (IE: sell domains, sell site, contests etc) should have a fee associated with them for NON paying members... this way they either pay a membership fee or they pay a PER ad fee....

now before I get my head ripped off here!

I say this with the thought that posting ads in these sections be a modest fee PER AD.... let's face it, if you charge $9.95 to sell a domain you are SOL. But something like $1 each ad for domains (or per domain), $5 per contest & then maybe $5 per SYS ad you may have an "even" flow between them. Again this would be for NON PAYING members! People who pay for the membership (one of them) should of course have some freedom here..

I would think it would be as easy (I use that term lightly) as this:

Seller Membership Plan:

$15 a month or $150 a year

- allows them to post x amount of ads in any of these mentioned sections without any charge

Poster Membership Plan

$10 a month or $100 a year

- gives them extra PM room and siggies in there posts

Lets face it ... at an average of $125 per yearly membership ..... lets say 5% of the current members sign up (.05 * 72,826 = 3,641) ..... thats $455,163 in per anum income! Dont like my 5%? ... so half it, its STILL almost a 1/4 million a year! And that doesnt include income from the people who DONT sign up for a membership and pay the $1, $5 fees! Im sorry but that HAS to work!

If that doesnt cure some problems I dont know what will!

OH and BTW, I think its GREAT that the "big kids" have shown up to discuss these issues..... had Kevin, Matt and some others had NOT shown up I think the repercusions would have been 10 fold!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm, personally I would not pay a cent for premium membership. Lets face it, a lot of regular members here contribute a lot more than what they get in return.

Plus, out of the suggestions above, none justify the 100 bucks per year for me.

I say reward the good members for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell, I'm staff and I'd probably pay for more PM space and a crawlable sig, heh.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    Hmm, personally I would not pay a cent for premium membership. Lets face it, a lot of regular members here contribute a lot more than what they get in return.

Plus, out of the suggestions above, none justify the 100 bucks per year for me.

I say reward the good members for free.
    Well that idea was just a "base idea" Im sure each membership could and would include other things but at least with the two (or three) membership types you could pick one that suites your needs..

and honestly Egor .... where can you find a place to have a "classified ad" along with many MANY backlinks to your sites for $8.33 a month? Really, think about it ... thats DIRT CHEAP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another suggestion. Most of the time, SitePoint has a banner ad running at the top of forum pages. Maybe they could more seriously try to generate revenue off of this ad slot and give paid subscriptions banner ad free access. Granted, some more selfish users would simply block the ad using their ad-blocking software, but to some of us the ad free access would still feel like a nice perk. I've never understood why SitePoint hasn't done a better job of monitorizing this top ad slot.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean C
    Kind of a shame. Good posters should get their link there as a reward
    It's a good thing. Sig links skew the results, they're irrelevant and promote spamming. It's best to obtain links a more legit way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkham
    It's a good thing. Sig links skew the results, they're irrelevant and promote spamming. It's best to obtain links a more legit way.
    So, lets see countless forums all over the web make their sigs visible to bots and countless participants take advantage of this across the Internet to prop up their link count, yet we are going to hold ourselves to a "higher" standard and thus penalize ourselves for being "angels"? I don't really see them promoting spamming as much as simply rewarding active participants. Besides which, Google does have ways to address this and doesn't place as much value on forum links as they do other types of links. I expect it is pretty easy for Google to see the difference between the same links spread through a forum countless times and stray links posted for non-promotional reasons.

Per link value of one link from site X to site Y > per link value of scores of links from site X to site Y.

I don't like a lot of spammy search engine tactics either, but I don't see the purpose handicapping myself simply because I don't think it is right the way Google rewards links.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    I don't really see them promoting spamming as much as simply rewarding active participants.
    Rewarding active participants has nothing to do with search results though. (Great side benefit for the sig owner, of course.)

If Google already weighs forum sigs/links less than other links, then that's a different matter. I didn't know they could make that sort of differentiatation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton

and honestly Egor .... where can you find a place to have a "classified ad" along with many MANY backlinks to your sites for $8.33 a month? Really, think about it ... thats DIRT CHEAP!
    I agree with ya Dave; it's definately a good deal, even considering the contributions some of us make to the community.

However, I should've mentioned that I was speaking from my point of view, and only mine. As I don't have any sites that would benefit from traffic, can you see where I was coming from?
    Last edited by mstwntd; May 13, 2005 at 09:09. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkham
    Rewarding active participants has nothing to do with search results though. (Great side benefit for the sig owner, of course.)

If Google already weighs forum sigs/links less than other links, then that's a different matter. I didn't know they could make that sort of differentiatation.

It would be very easy to tell the difference between forum links or even sig links and other types of links. For starters all vBulletin forums have the same basic URI structure (webpage addresses minus domain name). Second if the same link shows up on hundreds or thousands of pages on a single site then these could easily be weighed with a lessor value than a single or infrequent link. Or more drastic still, All links from site 'Y' to site 'X' could be counted only once.

I really look at the way links are counted as a search engine problem, not a forum problem. While I can't prove it, I suspect some of the advertisers that have purchased advertising space on my site found out about me through SitePoint. To me, non-registered users and search engines being able to see my sigs is a really nice perk.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwinweekly.com
    Charge for Sigs?? Sorry... no way, that's when I leave.
    Agreed. I like coming here, but there's very little (and even a smaller chance) that I'd pay for anything here.

Now, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be paid services, but taking away the basic functionality for current users (posting, searching, sigs, avatars, titles etc for current registered members) would drive people away (including me).
    Added functionality on the other hand might make for a good paid service.

I definately agree on dc dalton on charging for "selling" stuff though.
    They're making money off these forums, and it might help with the problems in those sections.

Oh and I'd just like to note I don't toss links into my sig for SE's, I do it so the people browsing my posts would want to go see the sites. I could care less about SE spiders seeing my links.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender1
    Oh and I'd just like to note I don't toss links into my sig for SE's, I do it so the people browsing my posts would want to go see the sites. I could care less about SE spiders seeing my links.
    Same here. The traffic benefits are a million times better than search engine benefits with a sig link anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Same here. The traffic benefits are a million times better than search engine benefits with a sig link anyway
    I agree.

I also agree with the spirit of part of Defender1's last post. I think sigs can provide wonderful insight into poster's. Also, there are many times where non-logged in users would find threads especially those dealing with design/development issues more helpful if they could review the sites members decide to put in their threads. If member 'X' talks about some design or SEO techique, if they saw sigs, non-logged in members could visit the sites member 'X' promotes to see if they really know what they are talking about.

Showing sigs would also help attract new members who are looking for backlinks. I suspect a lot of really good members initially joined because they could get backlinks.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a possible solution ?

hi
    a possible middle ground would be to allow just about a maximum of a couple of links in the signature and restrict the signature to a maximum of one line.
    Of course if a member wanted to change his signature and sort of "rotate" his links on a periodic basis thats not a problem ...

This would also have the nice side effects of :
    1. reducing the load on the servers
    2. reducing the number of external links from every forum page .. making each outgoing link a "bit" more weighty ....

the other way could be to have a one to one correspondence between the "karma" of a poster and the number of sig links he or she is allowed .... This would encourage a lot of people who do help out a lot on the forums .....

saurab
    Accepting Offers: NicheLabs.com - ExploringVOIP.com
    StableJob.com - AboutUniversities.com - Gemstone.co.in
    Assets.co.in - PropertyDealers.org - MortgageFirms.org
    eLearner.org - TravelResorts.info - TourstoAsia.com