SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The look of these forums

A lot of people have asked me why these forums look different than the main SitePoint Community.

The main reason for this is to demonstrate the co-branding capabilities of vBulletin. These capabilities allow us to create separate sub-communities while maintaining one single user database.

Integrating features like this into your community allows you to create diverse public spaces for people to meet in. By creating these spaces you create interest and intrigue.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne, can you alter the look of categories based on where the visitor/member clicked into the forums from?

I posted a "how do I" question at VB because I have visitors that click in from both my domains into my message boards. They overlap in content. The big domain (HS) needs all the forums. The smaller domain (HJ) really is using just two of the forums.

I want the two forums that are attached to HJ to look like HJ....if the visitor clicked in from HJ. Is this possible? Same content...just different graphics so brand the forums?

Otherwise, I feel like I need to work on the graphics of these two forums to be like HJ (and not HS) but with some sort of a visual bridge for the HS gals.

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With vBulletin you can control the look on entry by appending a Styleid to the URL.

This particular style has an ID of 3. So if I wanted to make this a default style on Entry, I would provide a link similar to http://sitepointforums.com/index.php?styleid=3

The way I did these forums is that they are assigned a style themselves. This style overrides any style previously assigned to the user and creates a cohesive look in this sub-site. You can find this option by modifying your forum setup and setting a specific style for it to use.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, If I separated out the two forums that are targeting the HJ website....and put them into a category....Will it still work to have the visitors from HJ click into the category using the style ID and it will follow these visitors while they visit the HJ forums? (And change up the forum jump like it is here to leave out all the other forums except by label them "HS Forums" or something like that?

In other words, Can the style include a change in the forum jump? Or is that in the template change as well? And will this different style follow them as a member to the VB?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This subsite is assigned a specific style. This overrides the user's style. When they return to the Main SitePoint Forums, their chosen style will again assert itself.

When you force a style id on a user by placing it in the link. It will override their style choice everywhere.

Here is the steps that I used to create this sub-site.

1. Created a new forum called "Community Construction Zone".
    2. Set its display order to 0 (zero) because I didn't want it to directly display on the main site.
    3. Create a new style including template set and replacement set.
    4. Assigned that style to the forum.
    5. Created my subforums, setting their display order normally and assigning the same style.
    6. In the template set for these forums, I hard coded the values for the forumjump box so it only shows these forums.
    7. In the template set for my main forums, I put a hardcoded link to these forums.

All told it took me about 2 hours to set up including template changes. The logo is donated by www.pawsitronic.com.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its amazing. And I thought it was a different forum altogether...then I looked at the Location Bar in my browser....

one note though..the annoucements for the Advertising seems out of place..its more directed towards the sitepoint community forums..

is it possible to assign different annoucements for 'mini' commmunities like this?
    Last edited by lynlimz; Jun 16, 2001 at 02:24.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by lynlimz
    Its amazing. And I thought it was a different forum altogether...then I looked at the Location Bar in my browser....

one note though..the annoucements for the Advertising seems out of place..its more directed towards the sitepoint community forums..

is it possible to assign different annoucements for 'mini' commmunities like this?
    It is possible. That is a global forum and will show up in all the different areas among the SitePoint Forums.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OKay, here is what I've decided to do. I need to make sure I'm headed in the right direction....

I created a new style and have added it to two forums in my VB.

These two forums serve the message board as a whole (from HS) but they also are apart of the traffic from HJ.

So....what I did was to select this style in the forums when I edited them in the control panel. (I made a new category just for these two forums....and edited this to also take on the new style.)

But here is where I want to use the style ID in the link and will try to explain:

1. I want visitors to click into this category/two forums from HJ with the style attached so that when they click on the profile/register pages...etc....they will ALL reflect this style for them. (and not be shocked by the differences in the styles)....if they are visitors from HJ I want them to just see the HJ logo/style. If they are HS visitors, I don't mind the change of style in these forums...but want to maintain the HS style throughout for them on the extra pages....

2. On the index.php page of the HJ, I have links to the message board category. But I also have a hack include....for the 5 most recent posts from the forum. THis is great...but I'm now thinking that if someone clicks on the "more...." at the end of each post to take the visitor into the message board/post...the style ID won't follow this link. Can I add the styleID to the hack? (Ack! I am searching here....its the hot3.inc in my HS httpdocs that goes to the HJ index page.)

Thanks for your help, Wayne. I'm very pleased with what I've done so far. The members are thrilled. I added a new set of "folder" icons to reflect the HJ forums and they look great too.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne,

Not sure if you're taking suggestions or comments on the layout, but I have one anyway.

I don't like how the information bar (date, email, pm, www, etc.) is on the top of each post rather than the bottom. Is this something I can change in my preferences?
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here