SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generating Content from Database

Hi, I am in the process of creating a Content Management System to generate content (articles, tutorials etc.) from a database. I am undecided as to which of the two options I have come up with would be best to actually display the content.

I will be entering the information into the database through HTML forms using JSP and an Access database.

Option 1: (seems the common choice)
    Generate the content from the database when the file is requested. Unique ID would be passed through URL visitor clicks to view content (either through the Query String or Path Info). so URL would look something like .../articles.jsp?id=1.

Option 2: (a thought I had)
    When initially entering content details into HTML form, once form submitted, have a JSP script compile it into a static HTML page (by adding form fields to appropriate places in a template). URL would look like .../articlename.html. Info would still be stored in the database so future changes could be made (would require startic HTML page to be automatically re-created after using modify form).

One of the main advantages I can see from using option 2 is that search engines which do not index dynamic content would not have a problem indexing the static pages generated. It would also simplify the URLs for visitors.

It would be great if anyone could give me some suggestions, possible advantages and disadvantages of each. Also, if you have seen something simmilar to option 2 done before, it would be great to know how they did it.
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have created a similar system as your option 2, cept with perl. i used to do option 1, but the former works very well and in future (with jsp or asp or whatever) i will prolly give it a go again depending on what/who it was for etc...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer option 1. Reason being is that it is much easier to keep track of and you do not end up having hundreds of pages taking up valuable space on the server. What you can do in regards to the search engines is to create another field in the database that pulls the meta information along with the page text.
    Bryan F. Hogan
    Director of Internet Development
    HungryWeb Communications, Inc.