User Tag List

Thread: Rating System

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rating System

Hello Guys,

I think we need some kind of rating system on this forum (sell your site), showing the "Trader rating" (or something like that) probably below the user name. I'm pretty sure it can be added. I'm sorry if this is not the right topic for this forum but I wanted to share my thought with you. What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that idea, but i usually tell the trader's "trust" by the post count. I dont doubt people here with a post count of 150+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I agree but still yould be nice I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another related forum (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention it) has it implemented. I guess it is an addon for Vbulletin. JAk, I just added you to my ICQ I'm in FL too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trading Rating is a popular and growing mod fro VB. It would be nice because even new members who have 30 posts could have completed 3-5 successful transactions. We all start somewhere. Also trader rating may help new members feel more at ease about buying here if the system was in place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should we contact the administrators and make a suggestion may be? What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trader Ratings v1.1.0 is what we need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the Trader Ratings hack for vbulletin is very nice, NamePros use it and so should sitepoint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds nice but couldn't folks abuse it by registering multiple accounts or having people they know rate them?

I'm sure it works great for 98% of people that use it, I'd just be worried about that same 2% of scammers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will still be better than now.. I think...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It prevents some of that by only allowing one vote per ip address per 7 days, in addition to only allowing one vote per memeber.

SitePoint Evangelist CapitalWebHost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DNForums uses it as well.

SitePoint Addict photoshopfreak's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think SP should have it, as it gives a clear indication of whether a member is trustworthy...

I wanted to suggest this a few days ago but thought this idea would not be put into effect...

SitePoint Member Aaron Dragushan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea!

- Aaron "low post count and just one transaction so far" Dragushan
    Aaron Dragushan
    http://wondermill.com/
    Professional web forms for your website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hope an adviser or administrator will see this threat. I sent a message to a team leader too. I don't think it will be hard to implement...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another way it could be done is by using the vbulliten rank system that works effectivly on other sites ive seen.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to a more appropriate forum.

This thread has a few replies, but I have yet to see a problem supporting the request for a trader rating system. Threads violating the rules should be reported and the thread will be dealt with and the member violating will be warned.

As has been stated on other occasions, the forums are first and foremost a forum for discussing web development topics, and the marketplace is an add-on or a bonus. If this type of request was agreed, each member would have half a dozen "ratings" for this that and the other. Site Seller rating, Template Seller rating, Domain Buying Rating, Contest Holder rating.

In summary, there seems to be no valid, non-aesthetical reason for this. If there is please post and discuss. But ultimately it seems if any it would be minor, and there are other areas/features/issues of the forum (Sell Your Site included) which we are devoting time to currently and take priority.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morgan
    This thread has a few replies, but I have yet to see a problem supporting the request for a trader rating system.

The vast majority of 'Trader' transactions made through these forums go through without a problem - you can see this for your self by the number of people that repeatedly use the marketplace. On the odd occasion when something does go wrong it is normally a simple communication problem which can be sorted out with a few PMs. When this doesn't work its generally because someone somewhere along the line has gone against our guidelines, in which case the problem should be reported to an Advisor, Team Leader or Administrator, who will deal with the problem accordingly.

I think this system is not only unnecessary, but would create a whole new set of problems in itself - say someone who entered a contest thread and wasn't happy with the fact that they didn't win decided to take it out on the contest holder by leaving a negative rating. This could damage a members reputation for no good reason at all.

As I said, most transactions are without any kind of problem, and the few that do have a problem are usually resolved very quickly anyway. I don't see the need to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.
    Rick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had bad experiences with various rating systems introduced in the past. A rating system based on number of posts is post count. This rating system is good in that it is difficult to abuse - other members cannot abuse the system by giving negative feedback on their competitors. Another rating system we have is reputation, which allows users to give positive and negative feedback on somebody. The reputation system should serve this purpose. However, it is easily abused and it generates a lot of complaints. This is why we have the reputation system turned off in user preferences by default, and we warn people not to enable it if they don't want negative feedback.

It wouldn't be possible for us to create a rating based on successful transactions made, because the transactions do not go through SitePoint (if they did, it would be awesome - we could take a cut!). We are not a party to the transactions which occur here and so we have no way of knowing when a transaction has occurred. So unfortunately it wouldn't be possible for us to chase down people and see if they ended up making a transaction, much less ask for proof of the transaction. So unfortunately we will have to rule out introducing a trader rating system with the marketplace in its current form.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Member Aaron Dragushan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people were just hoping to be able to build reputation so that future transactions would go more smoothly. Rep is built naturally through participation of course, so we'll be fine.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    Aaron Dragushan
    http://wondermill.com/
    Professional web forms for your website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I support this idea...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmj
    ...(if they did, it would be awesome - we could take a cut!).
    Why not do that then?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    Why not do that then?
    My guess, way too much hassle and liability involved with such an endeavor