User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about these forums.

You all making a big deal from PHP, etc. around here,
    but you all know nothing about it. I've asked several questions, but got no answer. Seems you are all newbies
    over here. Reading these stupid tutorials on sitepoint, that
    all you can do, and screaming how good PHP is and JSP
    or Java Servlets sux, give me a break! You say 'yes' simply because all others do, and you affraid to be different! You all have too little brain to understand these things. Answering questions like 'what is .pl extension stands for', attracts lots of newbies, but going into XML parsing with PHP, attracts zero, because you all have no clue about it.
    Oh yeah, don't forget a freedom of speach, dear moderators.
    Or you just want to read good things about SitePoint?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that post is constructive in what way?

There is no need to launch a verbal attack on SitePoint just because your queries on PHP and XML were not answered. You're right in that while simple queries are answered quickly more complex questions than yours sometimes go un-answered - this is unfortunate, but is hardly a reason to start slating SitePoint. The SitePoint mentors and advisors actively aim to ensure every question on these forums gets an answer, but there are some areas (such as PHP and XML) that we just don't have experience in. We're unpaid volunteers, so it is unreasonable to expect us to learn a new technology just to answer your question.

If you want SitePoint and the SitePoint community to improve, stick around, answer questions and help other people. If you don't care, go elsewhere.

I'm sorry your query wasn't answered,

Skunk

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks for reply. I'm not expecting someone to learn PHP+XML
    to answer my question, no. I'm learning PHP+XML myself, but every book I've bought (3 of them) does not have even example of that. I've got an XMLtree from http://downloads.dyomedea.com/php3/generic/xml/ ,but it seems not quite working with XML responses from remote server (not local files). You see,
    if I'll mantion that PHP isn't good enought for even simple XML parsing, I'll be flamed so hard in these forums, people
    will start telling me how great PHP is. Well, if so, help me out on this! I have no problems with SitePoint, it's a great site i think. I'm here from time it was webmaster-resources.com,about 1,5 - 2 y.ago. I wouldn't be here if I didn't like it, right? Anyway, I'll try to finish my script somehow with regexp, or something(horrible!!!). After that I'm done with PHP, and I'll just stick with JSP/Servlets/Perl.
    Yes, now tell me how slow java is.

- John.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to, in some ways, agree with java here. Kevin's tutorial is truly fantastic, but there is an inevitable side-effect of such a tutorial: it produces a whole ton of PHP-heads who don't even really know PHP. I've seen some sickingly sloppy code written by people who read that tutorial and suddenly think they know the language.

I don't even know it, and I've spent countless hours testing things and browsing through the manual.

Now, for many of these newbies, not only do they fail to really grasp PHP, but they also tend to have little programming experience outside of PHP, and as such, they're remarkably biased towards it. I used to be the same way, but when you start to realize how many languages are out there, your horizons are broadened, and all of a sudden some of these anti-PHP things that are being said start to make some real sense.

PHP is a good language -- a great one, even. It's fantastic for specific tasks, and it's easy to use. I won't pretend that it can do as many things as Perl though, or that it can handle complex applications (offline, mostly) the way Java or C can. I also won't pretend it's as easy on newbies as Cold Fusion.

So, to summarize: I agree that we have too many PHP-head newbies who act as if they know what they're talking about around here, but let's not criticize, let's educate. They simply don't know better. I'm sure I say foolish things each day that I'll kick myself for 6 months from now -- as do the majority of the members here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK java my apologies - it seemd I misinterpreted your post as a direct flame against the SitePoint community :{

Have you played around with PHP's built in XML functions? I haven't used them myself but they're based on the standard expat XML parser so they should be similar to the XMl support provided by Perl etc.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.xml.php

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

;-)

No fire!!! ;-)
    I've just came back from B&N store, i've bought PHP - Developers Cookbook, it seems have a nice chapter about PHP/XML. Looking quickly throught the chapter, makes me hope that I'll be able to parse it in PHP. Also I've noticed that there is no real XML-parsing functions in PHP yet. All of them so far based on regexp, etc. It lacks in DOM, or anything like that. I've played with PHP's XML functions, but there is no real help in them. Another problem is that
    my project is past-due, it should be done last friday... ;)
    Anyway, if I'll get it working, Ill post solution here if anyone interested.
    I'm also apologies about my post, which wasnt nice one.
    John.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey java,

I love PHP but I also love java, so I hope that makes you see that not everyone here is for PHP and against everything else. I use an xml class from http://www.phpxml.org/ and it works great even for remotely located xml files, I use to pull news from moreover and you can see it in action at http://www.uniquefocus.com see the news releases on the upper right hand side of the screen. It was really easy to use, read the docs and if you can't get it post back here and I will give you something to start with. How does that sound?
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds great! I'll do research on phpxml.org. Im studying my new book, to see if i can do it.
    Thank you very much!!
    John.

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I read threads like this it makes me proud of the volunteers we have working with SitePoint...

John ('Java'), you post an all out attack on the skill level of 'all' the people in these forums and they still reply to you in a constructive manner...

Everyone is learning, and we're all at different levels. As long as you remain constructive in these forums someone will eventually get around to helping you. If you are above everyone else in terms of your coding abilities that's fantastic, perhaps you can help others.

Another alternative is to email Kevin and he might cover your higher level questions in the Tech Times.

Thanks for contributing, we do appreciate it, just remain positive and you'll get alot more attention.

Cheers.
    Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, i'll try to be nice in the future.