SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you get sick from using a VDU?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, my eyeballs are like steel mate!

11 52.38%
  • Only if I don't take a screen break.

9 42.86%
  • I am pukin' right now! Bleeeeeurgh...

1 4.76%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monitor Sickness

Does anyone else start feeling sick if they do too much screen work?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but my back gets sore. The quality of the chairs provided at this college is appalling.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog · Twitter · Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework · Jokes · Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find my eyes get tired and start to hurt after a few hours of staring at the screen. It seems to only occur at work. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps it's the lighting. I tend to work without a light at home and I don't usually have this problem.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe at home you work with a more comfortable resolution and monitor refresh rate.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to tell if it's the refresh rate. I'm using 1280x1024 on both and it's a 17" at work with a glare screen, 19" at home. I've been blaming it on the lighting, it will temporarily go out sometimes and I like it a lot better that way.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At home I can stay on my computer for a very long time. However, my right wrist becomes sore after a while due to the awkward position of my mouse. My eyes are fine, though. I am usually fine as long as the refresh rate is ~75Hz and up. High resolutions don't bother me, but low refresh rates kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I think the recommended mimimum refrsh rate is around 70-72hz, this is because we may not be able to see the picture refresh 72 times a second, but our brains can if it is around the high 60's and below. If you have ever been unfortunate enough to see a very old bad quality monitor, you would have probably noticed a near instant headache.

When working infront of a monitor for extended periods it is usualy recommended that you look at somthing in the distance for a few min's so it relieves the tension in your retina.

hehe, I sound like a manual :P

Hope this has shed some light.
    .NET Code Monkey

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I read somewhere that the eye can distinguish up to 90 frames per second. However, each of these frames are not in sinch with the monitor, so there will be some dropped frames.

Even so, I can't tell much of a difference above 80 Hz.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "90 frames per second" is a simplification.

It is actually a smoother and more mathematical decay. Persistance of vision begins to decay the instant the flash of light goes away, so the faster the monitor refresh, the better. So, 110 Hz refresh looks a teency teency bit better than 100 Hz, and so on ad infinitum.

Thus, there is a reason for monitors to go faster than 120Hz! For at least a decade, we had all been working on computers with 60 Hz refresh rate, and we didn't complain! Maybe one day we'll become so used to computer monitors and so sensitive that only above 200 Hz will do. Who knows?

My monitor is at 82Hz and in the long term, I find it much nicer than the next resolution up, which can go to only 75 Hz.

The projector at your cinema uses a refresh rate equivalent to 72fps (ie, three flashes for every frame).

If we sit close to the front of the theatre, the "flicker" effect gives us a headache (well, it does me).
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Seer
    I tend to work without a light at home and I don't usually have this problem.
    I was always told that watcing tv and working on the computer in the dark is bad for the eyes, very bad in fact. Any optometrists here?

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 100MHz, I do not really tire sitting in front of my computer for 8 hours on end However, if I drop the refresh rate down to 75MHz the difference is immediately noticable. But then I also use 1152x870 on a 21inch and even then I have font sizes set to be fairly large on all my applications.

The human eye was not evolved to constantly focus on an object one foot away. If you walked around an African savana maintaining that field of focus you would be lion meat before too long

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only get sick if I try playing an fps like quake or something. Then I get totally queasy and nauseous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - y'know it!
    All that spinning around in a simulated 3D space - I have nearly chucked a few times!
    I wonder if people will get sick once we have fully immersive 3D environments???

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you walked around an African savana maintaining that field of focus you would be lion meat before too long
    LOL
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    freakysid - you have a wickedly dry sense of humour!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by z7
    I wonder if people will get sick once we have fully immersive 3D environments???
    They had a big problem with that a few years back when everyone was promoting those 3D games where you wear monitor gogles, the kind that change your view as you turn your head. You don't see them much anymore because people would get all disoriented and start regurgitating their meals everywhere, no joke.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that this kind of motion sickness or disorientation would not be felt by young children, as in their early development they are able to accustom themselves to new concepts a lot more readily.

As the technology improves and our generation grows old and grey, we'll all be left in regurgitation at some of the devices that kids are using.

Example 1: I have never been on a rollercoaster, because I didn't when I was a kid. Because I never went on one as a child, I feel that if I go on one today, it will take a lot more getting used to before I felt comfortable. For children this isn't as much of a problem.

Example 2: http://us.imdb.com/Details?0000012
    When cinemagoers first saw the Lumiere picture "Arrivée d'un train à la Ciotat, L'" (Train arriving at a station) (1895), the adult audience could not cope with the concept of moving pictures on the screen that appeared to come toward them. Running under 1 minute, a number of viewers became sick.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmj, you should have quoted IMDb, what a great plot description:
    Another of the Lumiere Brothers' one-shot films, this time showing a steam train arriving at a station and moving towards the camera It has passed into film folklore for the incident that occurred at its world premiere, when the audience, unfamiliar with the cinema thought the train was really coming right at them, and panicked!
    http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0000012
    We laugh because it seems silly, but I'm sure we would have all panicked too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    Example 1: I have never been on a rollercoaster, because I didn't when I was a kid. Because I never went on one as a child, I feel that if I go on one today, it will take a lot more getting used to before I felt comfortable. For children this isn't as much of a problem.
    i have this same problem man, i had never been on a roller coaster until last summer, i was at the beach with my girlfriend, and she talked me into riding one of the roller coasters. It wasnt just a regular roller coaster either, it was one of those things where you go through loops and corkscrews and all that junk. And then you go back through it backwards. When it was over, my g/f and the 2 other people we were with had to pretty much carry me off the ride because i could barely walk. I would bet that had i gotten used to it when i was younger it would not have been so bad.
    Last edited by bman; Jun 12, 2001 at 08:45.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years of playing videogames have made my eyes evolve so that they dont blink when looking at a monitor! hehehe

I hate rollercoasters, and I've ridden on them since I was little. The whole idea of not being in full control of my own movement just freaked me out, so I avoid them like the plague

Anyone here ever been to an IMax theater? Now those really make you feel dizzy! Its like a huge 3D screen that flies over different landscapes, and the chairs (like in a movie theater, but smaller) rotate and shake. Wheeeee!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    The whole idea of not being in full control of my own movement just freaked me out, so I avoid them like the plague
    So I take it you never ride the bus or fly on a plane or sit in the passenger seat of a car?

Originally posted by Sparkie
    Anyone here ever been to an IMax theater? Now those really make you feel dizzy! Its like a huge 3D screen that flies over different landscapes, and the chairs (like in a movie theater, but smaller) rotate and shake. Wheeeee!
    I've been in five IMAX theaters, although one of them had 3D glasses, none of them had moving chairs. Are you thinking of the rides in amusement parks? Those do have moving chairs and the movie is in 3D (Computer generated graphics, sometimes with 3D glasses too). What fun!

IMAX theaters do make people quesy somethimes since they have 13 story screens! Yikes! I love IMAX theaters, the screen is huge, the sound is amazing, the seats are heavenly and the documentaries are truly outstanding!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMax! A fantastic experience. Unfortunately their shows are all limited to 50 minutes, to prevent permanant neck injury.

Well actually, it's not just neck injury. It's "viewer discomfort". Whatever that means. It can get a bit dizzy in there. The 3d shows, too can hurt the eyes a bit.

dominique, yes I did learn about that in first year cinema studies. It really was groundbreaking stuff. People analyse it nowadays as being a prime example of fanastic film style, but really the Lumiere guys didn't even know of film style. It hadn't been invented. They just took some photographs of a train. It just happens to be a very well constructed shot by modern standards.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw