Thread: Servers?

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Servers?

Hi all,

Does anyone run an actual webserver in a production (or semi-production e.g. playing around) environment?

What hardware/software are you using? Any problems/comments?

I'm putting together a box with some stuff I happened to have lying around (including a legit copy of NT server ). Would be interested to know of others' experiences/recommendations. Unless they're of the "NT is puke - use Linux" variety. Heard that one plenty already
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose I have a semi-production server. I have Apache/PHP/MySQL on this computer to test scripts and do other things (file transfers) as well as an FTP server program.

As far as a personal dedicated server, my old 486 used to be one. It was a nice little FTP server that was faster than you'd think.

At work we have a few spare servers that we use mostly for their hard drives (to move files across the network). We also have some NT servers that manage email, print jobs, users, and various other things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What were you running on your 486?

I've got a 486/66 lying round that I want to do something with. Perhaps something Linux-ish...
    that's me!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a webserver for my site aboutpcs.com and a few other's sites. It's on OpenBSD 2.9 and is connected through the DSL in my basement.

It's a 750MHz Duron with 256MB RAM. It was home-built as a bit of a project for my brother--he did the hardware, I did the software. I think it has a cheap MSI board and two D-Link 100mbps NICs (it also functions as my NAT router ).

As far as software goes, it's got qmail, apache, mod_perl, php, and Samba installed. It works really well; I've only had to restart it once, and that was because someone thought it would be humorous to unplug it.

I'll go ahead and say "NT is puke, run a different OS". But I have a reason: unless you have PCAnywhere or something, you will have a hard time administrating the server. If you want to waste a monitor on that server, that's fine, but you might just be better off getting something like Mandrake's server distro which sets up everything easily--if that's the sort of thing you like.

I also have one 486 whose sole purpose is to get really really high uptimes, and a box similar to my webserver which acts as a remote X and DB server.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by hillsy
    What were you running on your 486?
    Stuff for friends to download...I only had it up a few nights. I used that instead of my main computer because I wanted to see how it could perform, and I wanted to see what kind of speeds I could get if I uploaded to it (off of the same hub). I believe it was around 750 KB per second, which isn't much at all going through a hub. Not sure if it is the hard drive, the ISA NIC, the processor, the software, or a combination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info so far

It's on OpenBSD 2.9 and is connected through the DSL in my basement.
    BSD eh? I've heard pretty good things about BSD distros for web servers. A (very lucky) friend of mine had an SGI O2 running NetBSD for a while.

I don't hear much about them compared to Linux tho. What are the pros and cons of the major BSDs?
    that's me!