SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site fall apart in Internet Explorer 4.5 but not Netscape

I would like various versions of IE to evaluate this site.

I will be doing an overhaul on this site and I need input on one thing. I have IE 4.5 ( Mac version if it makes a difference ) and when I try to view their site all the text from half the page stacks up on top of each other so you can read none of it. This same page looks fine in Netscape. One person saw it in IE 5.0 and said there was no problem. I need to eliminate the possibility that there is something wrong on my end before I approach the company for me to preform the necessary repairs on their web page. If you are kind enough to take a peek please use Internet Explorer and let me know what version you have and also if it is Mac or Pc Thanks...John

http://www.omegadesign.com/prods_1.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks fine in IE 5.5 WIN.
    Unfortunatelky, I don't have a MAC.

I would think IE5 on MAC would display properly. have you tried?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a reply from another person that is using IE 5.0 and they said it was fine too. I don't want to charge this company for redoing their page if it does not need it. I could justify it if others with IE version 4.5 or lower had the same problem. Thanks for checking it out ...John

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, IE5.5 Win it looks fine.

However, I noticed that you've got the closing </center> tag half through your table when I think it should be after the </table> tag. Not sure if it's this thats causing the problem though.

I remember reading somewhere that IE4.5 Mac had a problem with absolute positioning. You're not using that but you may want to check how IE4.5 Mac handles the css margins that you are using.

In N6 Win the page looked different (very little spacing between text) but was still readable.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I do have a Mac IE 4.5. If the problem is only in Mac and only in that one version then maybe I should not do the work and charge this company. Perhaps the # of viewers that it is impacting is minimal. I did a test on my machine and I was able to fix the problem even on my version by manually putting line breaks after each line of code. On other pages the pictures stack up on top of the text and cover it making it unreadabe. Here is one of those bad pages with pictures. Again it looks fine in Netscape. Thanks ....John http://www.omegadesign.com/machine_upgrade.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gilligan...to be honest, don't worry about it.

IE 4.5 for the Mac is one of the worst browsers available. Add that to the fact that it's on a Mac and that means there will be hardly anyone using it.

I would recommend downloading IE 5 for the Mac, it's a much more stable browser, plus it looks a lot nicer.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do a search for it and download it and see how the site looks then. Thanks...John