SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell people to search or give good advice?

Since I've been here at the forums for how ever many of years...i've increasingly seen people answer threads with one of 2 things:

1) Have you searched google yet?

or

2) Try this

Which leaves me with the thought...is this sort of answer out of place or not? My thoughts are that this is a community. People come here to converse with other people and get input...not be told "go search." Sure people occasionally forget to actually go search first but could it be that they honestly just want more feedback instead of 1,400,237 results returned from google?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with you 99%. The 1% is when someone asks a question like, "What does PHP stand for?" I'm sorry but that is exactly what Google is for. .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    I agree with you 99%. The 1% is when someone asks a question like, "What does PHP stand for?" I'm sorry but that is exactly what Google is for. .
    Okay...yeah...I agree with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's out of place for some queries that people have. For example, the other day someone was asking about how to use mysql and php to show some data from a database. There's a million and one mysql/php starter tutorials out there (probably even on sitepoint) so why should they expect someone to write a very lengthly post on it?

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree with you 100% that the go search or try this routine just doesnt cut it in my eyes. I can understand why some people do it (because they have answered the same question a 100 times) but I still dont think its what most people are looking for.

I know with me every once in a while Ill read and read, search for every way to do something and for some reason I just dont get it. I think a lot of people may be in that situation and just need it broken down into something THEY can understand..

But of course there are also those ones who dont even try, they just want someone to do it for them .... those are the ones that irritate me and I think everyone else AND the really silly questions as Stym mentioned!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this.

I agree it's annoying to see a bunch of replies saying Google it, BUT:
    a) As Stymiee has said, really REALLY basic questions are uncalled for.
    b) Tons of people don't search. They just post because they're lazy. If you look at the threads where people reply "Google it", half the person'll come back saying "Oh, thanks." and be on their way.
    c) Some people are stupid when it comes to choosing keywords to search for, so sometimes linking to a Google search result can lead them on their way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Try this.

I agree it's annoying to see a bunch of replies saying Google it, BUT:
    a) As Stymiee has said, really REALLY basic questions are uncalled for.
    b) Tons of people don't search. They just post because they're lazy. If you look at the threads where people reply "Google it", half the person'll come back saying "Oh, thanks." and be on their way.
    c) Some people are stupid when it comes to choosing keywords to search for, so sometimes linking to a Google search result can lead them on their way.
    I like someone's answer - yeah people may come here for interaction etc but the onus should be on them to go and look first - if they can't find the answer or don't understand then answer. Also they should search the forums for similar threads first, the amount of times that the same "limited or no connectivity" question about XP SP2 has come up over in the helpdesk section is ridiculous.
    Coinnach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coinnach
    Also they should search the forums for similar threads first, the amount of times that the same "limited or no connectivity" question about XP SP2 has come up over in the helpdesk section is ridiculous.
    If that's the case, then you can do a few things.

1) Answer their questions AGAIN.
    2) Find some helpful threads for them and post the link to those threads
    3) Just don't answer it.

That's what kills me...people feel like that HAVE to answer the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the type of threads that frustrate me are when somebody asks something like "What are some good places to get things printed online?" and somebody responds with "Search google for "online printers"....WTF...go home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pig, I do give them the threads to go and look at and sometimes I don't answer - all I am saying is people want to be spoon-fed because it is easier for someone else to tell them than for them to go out and find out for themselves.
    Coinnach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coinnach
    Pig, I do give them the threads to go and look at and sometimes I don't answer - all I am saying is people want to be spoon-fed because it is easier for someone else to tell them than for them to go out and find out for themselves.
    Oh no, I'm not necessarily referring to you...I'm referring to the general sitepoint population.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sorry, didn;t phrase that one correctly - I am talking about generally people here try to do the correct thing - its just sometimes the people who asking are too lazy.
    Coinnach

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see it the exact same way.

But - for the most part - I see people being very helpful to fellow members.
    I think we've all been in the place where we did not know where to start on a given subject and still do (I do anyway). So when I am in the middle of trying to comprehend something and - for the life of me - just can't figure it out or have a brain blocker it is nice to receive friendly responses to your issue. What seems like something so simple and downright logical to you might still feel like a cryptic jungle to me and vice versa.

I'm generally not too much a fan of the "search google" type of replies because, well, I think people do figure out for themselves that they have that option. For one reason or another, they have chosen to ask members of the community instead. I do know that when I have a specific question, I'd much rather ask here than search Google.

The only time where I usually roll my eyes is when someone expects you to turn your messenger client on, help them solve your problem immediately and basically expect you to "jump" when they ask you to or if the general tone is in a less than friendly manner, or even worse, have YOU do the search on Google for them.
    Last edited by kohoutek; Apr 18, 2005 at 14:50.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to say our community is the friendliest I've ever seen for any genre.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with this I also agree with what RockNRollPig stated first, but I am not seeing this kind of answers that often ! and if they are there it is usually some new member who did it and who's not acquainted with the friendly atmosphere that rules in SPF where most of the members are really helpful

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Josh have you tried to help answer your question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Quote Originally Posted by frozentoast
    Josh have you tried to help answer your question?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw your post Nathan, I was demonstrating what other users would do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course.

Next time search.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Ill agree with THAT ... I am (or have been) a member of two other major programming forums. Talk about attitudes! God forbid you dont format the title of your post properly! I mean seriously is that the worse thing ever!

Hey this place isnt perfect but Ill tell you what, as far as Im concerned its the best damn forum out there bar none!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is that you should never bash a user for something stupid he asked. I have a subtitles forum where some 80% of the threads ask the same questions over and over again, nevermind there's a search link in the forum and a FAQ/Tutorials section in the site. Some of the quickest-to-explode regulars will be rude to the OP and reply with "This has been asked a thousand times before!" or similar. I don't like it, everyone's a newbie sometime. As for the "Just use search" replys, well, I do wish they would actually search and then post some results for them, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with joazito for the most part, except there are times when it gets ridiculous. When people ask good questions over and over, I don't mind repeating myself. When people ask stupid questions like "When is the next PR update?" 100 times a day, it's just hard to take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion on this is that if the poster cannot be useful enough to research their problem before asking for help then it's not our sole responsibility to offer them advice. Before you all bite my head off an example would be the occasional question that I see in the PHP/MySQL forum with a thread which basically asks how to set up PHP/MySQL locally. There are thousands of pages on google which detail how to do this and it'd be nice to see people making the effort to help themselves.

Obviously this place is a community of active helpers and those who are here to ask, but I don't think it's rude at all for the helpers to say "Try this" and link to a similar solution or post a link to a google search for their question. Either way at the end of the day the links often help the user so what's the big deal ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean C
    My opinion on this is that if the poster cannot be useful enough to research their problem before asking for help then it's not our sole responsibility to offer them advice. Before you all bite my head off an example would be the occasional question that I see in the PHP/MySQL forum with a thread which basically asks how to set up PHP/MySQL locally. There are thousands of pages on google which detail how to do this and it'd be nice to see people making the effort to help themselves.

Obviously this place is a community of active helpers and those who are here to ask, but I don't think it's rude at all for the helpers to say "Try this" and link to a similar solution or post a link to a google search for their question. Either way at the end of the day the links often help the user so what's the big deal ?
    I'm some situations (the ones where it's completely obvious these people didn't do a lick of research) I agree with you. But the situations I'm talking about are the ones where people ask for suggestions of some cool photoshop plugins to get a certain effect and then somebody respondes telling them to search Google for "photoshop plugins." In THAT situation, the persion who suggested that, deserves a swift kick in the shins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockNRollPig
    I'm some situations (the ones where it's completely obvious these people didn't do a lick of research) I agree with you. But the situations I'm talking about are the ones where people ask for suggestions of some cool photoshop plugins to get a certain effect and then somebody respondes telling them to search Google for "photoshop plugins." In THAT situation, the persion who suggested that, deserves a swift kick in the shins.
    Definitely.