SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review Monkeyboy Online! Thanks!

Well, it's time to bite the bullet and post my site and see what everybody thinks of it. I'd love to know how you think it can be improved.

I'm always looking to improve the site any way I can, so all comments are appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
    Monkeyboy

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the overall color scheme and layout, although it looks a little too rigid. You might want to think about rounded corners. The background is okay, but I might make it a lighter shade of grey. On a large monitor it's a little overwhelming.

I'm not real fond of the verbage used on the homepage. For a business site (even a film review site), "pissing around" just doesn't scream professional. Even if your reviews are well written, I might not ever read them by my first impression.

Other than that, it looks good. It loads fast and has good content (for the most part). Good job!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am:
    1024x768x32bit
    IE5.5 on PC

I'm quite sure that Monkeyboy has his tongue in his cheek.

The "reviews" are humorous and entertaining, and not intended to be in the least bit professional. At least, that's the way I see it. They're great!

Keep up the good work Monkeyboy. I'd love to see more "features" in the future. That keanu Reeves one was fantastic!

Hmm... it seems that you too won a golden web award...

I gather you use SSI for all of your content. It would help you a bit, but it must still be tough work...

I like the colours, they make the site just that little extra bit bizarre. And the bananas!

It's great and you obviously put a lot of work into it.

hehe, "Don't call me Ripley!"

I'm sorry I cannot think of any suggestions for you right now.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 10, 2001 at 23:39.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your color scheme too, but I noticed that your index page takes to much time to show up (Modem 56, Win 98, IE 5.5), maybe you are using to many nested tables. The other sections loads fast.

Paul

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I like this site!
    It's cute, humorous and original.

Just one or two points i'll like to raise:
    1. Your main site doesn't seem to fit into the background. Maybe get a background that blends with the site?

2. Instead of specifying 600px for your tables, maybe you can specify 75% instead? For monitors viewing at higher resolution, there seems to be too much space. But well it's up to u!

3. At your guestbook page, maybe you can include the links to the other sections just like the rest of the site? Or the user has to click twice to access the other sections.

Just my two cents worth =P But well, it's really neat and nice.
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

To beley...
    I agree about the rounded corners. I'm toying with a few new(ish) looks at the moment, and the site will have more curves eventually, but that could be about three months away yet.

As for the verbage. Well, I'm sort of writing in the character of Monkeyboy who is a booze-addled, smack-addicted lab-chimp. I understand that the odd bit of swearing might not be to everyone's taste, but... as mmj has pointed out, it is supposed to be tongue in cheek. I suppose I could slick up the writing style, make it more professional, but I feel it would turn into a poor man's Mr Showbiz. Professional, nicely written...dull. If you know what I mean. However, point taken.

To mmj...
    It's always a relief to know there are other twisted souls out there on the same wavelength!

You're right about the "reviews" (see my reply to beley above). Although, underneath the cheek and the lewd comments and daft jokes, there's a genuine review, and the banana rating at the end is a genuine reflection of what I thought of the film. I just have a healthy disregard for Hollywood vanity (and authority).

As for the Golden Web Award, I was really pleased that I won that, until I realised that they hand 'em out like sweeties to any old rubbish. So who knows, I might take it off the homepage (it looks a bit cheesey anyhow).

You said you like the colours, which has put me in something of a dilemma. People who have visited my site and commented seem split over this one. Some say too many colours, some say the colours are great. I've tried some new colour schemes on my PC, using less colours, but the site just turned out looking very dull and functional. I dunno, it's one to think about.

To Paul S...
    I cleared my cache and tried it myself. I thought it still loaded pretty quick. There's a bit of lag and then the page appears. Maybe there are too many nested tables. I know my homepage is one of the more complicated pages on my site. I'll have a fiddle with it at some point.

To xharine...
    Glad you liked the humour.

You say the main site doesn't seem to fit with the background. Not quite sure what you mean by this. I thought it worked pretty well (maybe the popcorn pictures could be smaller). Also, popcorn=movies=movie website. So the theme is all present and correct. Can you explain a bit more?

As for the width being at 600px: I think I'm probably going to expand my site to fit within 800x600 resolution at some point.

The guestbook page. Point taken and duly noted.

--------------

Well, that's it. Anybody else want to throw in a few comments? The URL's in my signature...
    Monkeyboy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi monkeyboy,
    What I meant was the whitish grey background didn't blend into the orange purple theme. Maybe you can add an orangey tinge to it?
    http://test.10der.org/eg_pop.gif <---something like that.

About the table width, it's good to make your site comfortable to view at all resolutions. If you use %, it will stretch itself to whatever the browser width is.

Just my two cents. =P
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great page

I just came from your site and loved it. Looks great on my old 13" monitor, bright fun colors, easy to navigate.

The reveiws are great - had a lot of fun reading them.

I would add a "Tell a Friend" pop up so people can easily share your site with friends and family. Super easy way to promote your site and yours is the type of site that people would definitely share. If you need one, I have a very simple pop up on my site and I'll be happy to send you the code.

Deborah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Great page

Originally posted by dmwhipp
    I just came from your site and loved it. Looks great on my old 13" monitor, bright fun colors, easy to navigate.

The reveiws are great - had a lot of fun reading them.

I would add a "Tell a Friend" pop up so people can easily share your site with friends and family. Super easy way to promote your site and yours is the type of site that people would definitely share. If you need one, I have a very simple pop up on my site and I'll be happy to send you the code.

Deborah
    Glad you like it. BTW, I've already got a "Tell a Friend" button on just about every page. Didn't you see them? I suppose this could mean they aren't displayed prominently enough.
    Mmm. It had never really occured to me.
    Monkeyboy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by xharine
    Hi monkeyboy,
    What I meant was the whitish grey background didn't blend into the orange purple theme. Maybe you can add an orangey tinge to it?
    http://test.10der.org/eg_pop.gif <---something like that.

Just my two cents. =P

Right, I see what you mean now. I've tried that tinted orange gif you supplied, and it does seem to work! I wonder why I didn't think of it before. Having said that, I thought the contrast of grey monochrome helped the coloured tables stand out more. But a tinted look, works just as well I guess...

There's certainly some good advice to consider from everyone. All I need now is more free time!!
    Monkeyboy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See it now

Went back and yep, there it is! Sorry, and after I did all that work actually emailing my sister. Your site is really great so if you could make the Tell A Friend even more obvious it sure wouldn't hurt. Also, by the Untouchable review you have the phrase "Nowt to . . ." is that a spelling error or an English expression I'm not familiar with?
    Deborah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He-he... I had a feeling some of the English slang-words I use wouldn't translate well across the water, so to speak.

Okay, exlpanation...

I live in the North of England, and in my particular neck of the woods, the word "nowt" means "nothing". So I hope that clears things up.

Oh, and I hope your sister likes the site too.
    Monkeyboy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but that is quality stuff! A site that doesn't take itself too seriously! Nice design and layout and the colours are great.

It did load slowly especially the first time cos I saw this big splodge of purple and the popcorn and feared a little for my eyes about what I might be trying to view.

YOU definitely have too much free time or spend too much time so whacked you have actually been granted a lot of free time.

That's enough.

P.S. Any chance of getting a piccy of trevor?
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by weirdbeardmt
    Any chance of getting a piccy of trevor?

D'you mean you want the one that's on my site? I wish I could. I bought it under licence from Hemera. I can use it royalty-free, but no-one else can unless they purchase a licence.

I can't stop you nicking it though, this being the internet and all. But remember, you received no permission from me.
    Monkeyboy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site! Off-beat colors actually work, nicely ingrained theme, and the humour is everywhere. If I actually watched any movies I would get some use out of it.

A few notes:

- I understand that the phrase in your title is good for search engines, but "The Film Review Website" as your main header graphic sounds very stiff and out of place with the rest of the site. I'm referring to the yellow on purple large graphic at the top.. I think you should come up with a funnier subtitle...

"Monkeys... movies... mayhem"

"Yes, I'm gonna fling my film reviews at you"

"Two nearly opposable thumbs up!"

- Why are your breadcrumbs not clickable?

"monkeyboy online > film reviews > the mummy returns"

I should be able to click on monkeyboy online and return home and film reviews to get a list.
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Don't change a thing. It loaded a little slowly for me compared to other sites but it was worth the wait. I did notice the background being a little distracting (1280, 21" monitor) but once I started reading the page it didn't matter.

A few quirks here and there is quickly forgotten with good content!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Monkeyboy
    I cleared my cache and tried it myself. I thought it still loaded pretty quick.There's a bit of lag and then the page appears. Maybe there are too many nested tables. I know my homepage is one of the more complicated pages on my site. I'll have a fiddle with it at some point.
    Monkeyboy

This could be confused, specially for those users who use a modem. The first time I visit your site I saw only the navigation bar and thought that was your entire page.
    Just think, in those precious seconds the visitor could press cancel button and go away. (I'm exaggerating but I guess you got the point )

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Just looking at the site, its unique.

Interesting colours.

Good navigation.

What about coloured scroll bars? Maby orange and yellow

I like the review content especially the DETAILS section

Over all a unique and interesting site with a relaxed feel!

- Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monkeybot and Keanu

Connection = 24.4 bps
    Platform = Win 98
    Browser = IE 5.0
    Processor = AMD K6 3D
    Resolution 800 x 600
    Load time for this site = <20 seconds = good

Who could resist visiting a site named Monkeyboy? I almost did until I saw Keanu Reeves name mentioned and then I clicked over so fast, my tracball spun.

Whoa! Dude! What's with the four letter words! I have one for you - it suck s!

Nice background

This site is not for me as I am a old witch with very little hip culture appreciation. But I guess it will attract some of the younger crowd.

I read the review of the Mummy Returns which I saw and enjoyed. My my, monkeyboy, you do have a clever way with words! Especially the 4 letter variety. Anyway, I actually liked the review. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours is nicely written.

I would rate this site a 3 out of a possible 10 points. It's ok for the younger crowd, but not for *sophisticated* types.

As for web design - it's easy to read and navigate, needs more of your biting wit!

Lela
    George W. is on vacation - again!
    austinstar.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an odd post Austin. Hmm.

Anyway, I really liked the site a lot, the david hasslehoff review was hilarious, and the general humour is relaxed and easy to read. The design is nice, but I agree with overgrow, the logo message (and logo itself) could be improved, after all it's the first thing the people see after the popcorn background (which I think should be slightly lighter, cause before the main box loads it looks too harsh, once it does it does look nice though.).

What you really need, I think, is a forum though, forums are just THE RULE... yes, anyhow, that would be the thing to add I think. Good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monkeyboy site

I didn't mean to post an *odd* review! Sorry. I tried to be entertaining. Silly me.

Monkeyboy, I do like your site, really. I think it's well done and I LOVE the witty reviews!

I just think we could do without the 4 letter words. But given the popularity of South Park potty mouths, I guess this is *in* today!

I still like the popcorn background and I think it fits very nicely with the theme of the page.

Lela
    George W. is on vacation - again!
    austinstar.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the continued input everyone. There's lots for me to think about. I would say everyone's comments have been very helpful in highlighting possible problems. I'll get cracking on fixing some of them as best I can.

What a smart bunch you are! Thanks again!
    Monkeyboy

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, good layout. Hilarious section on Keanu. I always thought he was the worst actor even worse then Kevin Costner.
    http://www.searchnightlife.com
    info@searchnightlife.com