SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP or ASP.NET? I want to learn one..need some advice!!

Hi everyone!
    I've been getting my teeth into php and MySQL for quite some time. PHP is my first prog language...(well scripting lang) and I enjoyed it hell of a lot and pretty comfortable with it too. I want to expand my horizon and learn another server side scripting language.
    Before I get down to it,I was hoping you guys could give me helpful advices and point out some useful stuffs and why I should choose one and not the other and the benefit of it and all that..
    So it's ASP or ASP.NET that is the question..

Your thoughts and advices are well appreciated..
    cheers fellas!!

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with ASP.NET. I still use ASP classic, but if you have no knowledge of either language then it's typically best to learn the latest and greatest which is ASP.NET in this case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going from PHP to ASP (classic) would be the easiest choice, but doing that you'll probably run into quite a few of the ASP (classic) quirks that drive me mad.

Personally if I were in your situation I'd go for ASP.NET instead (C# is probably the closest syntatically to PHP, avoiding most of the Visual Basic nastyness and traps).

ASP.NET will give you a very wide range of standard classes to play with, and a fairly large codebase of additional classes/components which will make your life easier in comparison to classic ASP, and not to mention it's much faster (Microsoft really made an effort with the JIT and memory management of their .NET/CLR implementation, compared to some of their other products )

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASP.NET, for the love of god.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .net is the way to go

have been using asp classic for a couple of years now and just got into .net, and its a WHOLE WORLD of difference.

I think its the future of web programming

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .net is the way to go definitely but probably harder to learn. ASP will be dying. .net is much better because you actually program in VB or C# and have access to all of the rich features.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've already mastered P.H.P., learning Microsoft ASP.NET should be quite easy if you use C#, which is the most widely supported .NET language that is similar in syntax to P.H.P. I made the conversion from P.H.P. to C# myself, and while it was a mildly bumpy road (owing primarily to my own incompetence) I came out all right in the end.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the .net platform seems to be slowly taking over and as some have said already asp will probably die due to its limitations. asp.net is much more powerful than classic asp - although asp is still very popular because it's very easy to pick up on. i would recommend a rookie to start off w/ asp because of its simplicity; however, w/ your php experience i would recommend you dive into asp.net while you have the experience and take advantage of it.

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jpomranky

ASP will be dying. .
    far from true