SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gecko doesn't seem like such a great idea now that I try to design for it.

When I first heard of Mozilla's Gecko rendering engine I thought that the dawn of standards would be a great thing and that finally my pages would work equally well on all browsers. Now that Gecko is alive and in users hands, I'm hating it jsut as much as I disliked Navigator4.

Gecko is too damn picky - I thought that the standards demanded tight code, but Gecko is even worse! Mozilla.org seems to have decided to make Gecko only render code that they deem appropriate wether or not it is standards compliant.

Recently I created a page that had negative z-index values - something that is allowed for in CSS and both Opera and Internet Explorer interpret correctly. However, Gecko will only accept positive z-index values.

This is the umpteenth issue in a long string that have finally forced me to give up on the browsers such as Netscape6 - they don't render even standards compliant code properly.

Internet Explorer, for all its faults, will render almost anything. Gecko should take a lesson from that and become more loose in their implementation because in beign so tight they're not only limiting the engine's ability to render proprietary code, but also standards-compliant code.

I have next-to-no Netscape6 visitors anyway. It won't be a loss not to support them. But if the browser won't support the standards I won't support it.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I accept your criticism of Mozilla and take what you say on face value. However, remember that Mozilla is open source! Why not get in touch with the Mozilla project and highlight the problem and the specifics of where the standards are not being supported. The undersirable behaviour may be a design or coding oversight by the developers.

Use the force. Use open source!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Gecko doesn't seem like such a great idea now that I try to design for it.

Originally posted by prowsej
    Internet Explorer, for all its faults, will render almost anything.
    Not rendering incorrect code and not rendering standards-compliant code are two entirely different things. Mozilla should stay just as strict, however it should render standards-compliant code as well. There is a happy medium and while it may not have yet been found, it can.

I also suggest you do what freakysid said and contact Mozilla.
    Kevin

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    Why not get in touch with the Mozilla project and highlight the problem and the specifics of where the standards are not being supported. The undersirable behaviour may be a design or coding oversight by the developers.

Use the force. Use open source!
    I've contacted Mozilla.org and added my weight to a bugzilla report already filed on this issue. I've emailed the contact at Netscape who's responsible for this issue. Apparently it will be fixed soon. I suppose things *are* getting better (my latest rant is at Microsoft for releasing a terribly buggy version of Internet Explorer 6 as the preview. It's perfect until a web developer turns on standards compliant mode ... )