SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mysql capabilities

how hard can a mysql database be pushed before it begins to slow down? like how many entries can be it, how many users can it handle at once before it begins to become unstable

thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm....maybe 200/250 concurrent connections to a small to medium size database. 20 to a large database with millions of records.

MySQL databases can be very large although once they get large, the amount of concurrent connections decreases allot. Thats why popular forums (Like Sitepoint except with 100 times the users, and posts) change their software manually to other databases like Sybase (MattR can tell you more.)

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Peter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The number of concurrent users is very dependent on the OS on which your operating mySQL. The number of concurrent users does not change as the database size increases however the length of time to query a large table is obviously greater than that of a smaller.

Hence the number of queries/inserts per unit of time decreases, the actual number of concurrent connections does not. In most php cases this is effectivly the same, however it is possible to genuinly use persistent connections (connection pools) which means this number is rarely breached unless indeed you are expecting excedingly large levels of traffic.

The standard "out of the box" mysql for all os's comes configured to handle 100 concurrent connections.

I've found in nearly all os's you can configure to 200 concurrent users easily, freebsd seems to perform the best and quite significantly higher levels can be reached.

As for the number of entries, I've recently tested with doing data imports and exports, and sql internal calculations to create summary tables with 2 million rows. The database neither on win98 or freebsd seemed to be effected with this level and its the highest quantity of data I've used mysql with so far.

-Dibby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it also depends on how much data your are inserting and recieving... if your inserting a couple if 100pages and selecting the same.. mysql will be slow if there are too many connections
    i dunno...