SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a newbie needs help..

Hi,

I just reopened my website, which used to be a celebrity news site that used to be doing terribly hit-wise, but now I've reopened it as a female, non-nude, picture gallery, and it's doing really well, getting 1,000+ uniques a day, which I know doesn't impress some of you out there.

What I would like to do, is start making some money off of it, but I have no idea where to begin, I've googled the topic, but I'd rather get advice from the awesome, honest, experienced members of sitepoint.com.

I know I'd rather use CPM as opposed to CPC services such as AdSense, because I'd rather rely on impressions instead of begging people to click an ad, which I know won't happen. My exact questions are:

Should I wait until I start getting more than 1,000 hits a day to even bother getting into ad revenue?

Should I go with ad banners or pop-ups?

Which CPM service is right for me? Which is paying the most?

Thanks for your time.

Unauthorized Web Theologian emmzee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with this type of site is twofold ...

First, the 'non-nude' suggests pictures of the decidedly 'sexy' type. While not explicitly disallowed by many CPM programs, often some of the big names do no allow any site with any content like this.

Secondly, the copyright of some of the pictures on the site may be in question. Even if many other sites use them, the rights to use the pictures may be an issue for potential sponsors.

That said, the top tier CPM networks to apply for first would probably be:
    Casale Media www.casalemedia.com
    BurstMedia www.burstmedia.com
    Fastclick www.fastclick.com

2nd tier (who would IMHO be more likely to accept your site) would be:
    Buds Inc www.budsmedia.com
    Realtech www.realtechnetwork.com
    Mamma Media www.mammamediasolutions.com
    Claxon www.claxon.com
    ValueClick www.valueclick.com

You may also want to consider using popups, layer ads, or interstitial (aka "page breaks" or "between page commercials"). For a images gallery site, visitors pretty much expect popups or other ads like that. I don't know which popup services are the best since I don't use any of them on my sites.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experiences, and from the general glut of such sites, I wouldn't worry all that much about copyright issues or getting into ad networks. As long as you have the impression, you'll be able to get into any number of networks. As for what type, use all that they allow, as your site is one of those that doesn't have a whole lot of repeat viewing. You're getting mostly one-time visitors so I wouldn't worry about annoying them with pop-ups and all other ads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply guys, I've applied to FastClick, CasaleMedia, MammaMedia, BudsInc, and Claxon, No response fron any yet, so I've gone with Paypopup.com for now, and just submitted to Midaddle for interstitial ads. Claxon, accepted, but I did a little researching and decided not to go with them. Anyone here use them?

Can anyone here guesstimate how much I'd make with just 1,000+ visitors a day?

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used claxon for a couple of weeks. Cpm rates weren't that great, but they pay on time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I think I might add them again, then. Or wait it out for Casale, I'm really unsure at this point. All I know is that I wish Paypopup would take me out of 'Need Reactivate' status, I have 56 impressions, I hope they count it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Got rejected by Midaddle, made $0.02 from Paypopup, and I'm thinking, is this worth it? I've worked vary hard, and I'm considering just skipping trying to make ad revenue and just selling it, I've got 7,000+ pics that gets 1000+ visits a day, that must appeal to some buyer out there... ugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the url, and where do the 1000 uniques come from? google?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.profusionred.com/

Most of it comes from Yahoo, the site is very SE friendly. I've got a few link exchanges with very powerful fansites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm selling it, look in the 'sell your site' forum. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I would be amazed if any first or reputable second tier would take the site. You should try for the lower second tier or third tier. You eould have the best chances with them.
    The Online Guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update, after deciding not to sell the site, I signed up with Claxon, and I have about $20 this month so far. Could I be making more? Stats: http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=1&id=3246239