SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose you think Clinton was a genius?

He did all he could to weaken this nation. I'm sure he was well received by you all.
    Come get 5,000 Full Color - High Gloss(front and back) business cards for only $270!
    www.diamondqueue.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you acknowledge that he's not an idiot. However, do you also not believe that he knows more of issues of state, and our country, than most US citizens? See, I don't see him as being Joe Average at all.

If you ask me, he was partially elected because of Clinton. Clinton's a lawyer, and they don't call him "Slick Willy" for nothing. People, I think, are getting a bit tired of smooth-talking politicans. George W is not smooth-talking. Perhaps that's what people like about him.

Every testimonial I've read, including those of Democrats, has stated that Bush, while perhaps holding different viewpoints, has been surprisingly friendly and courteous. Not only that, but various members of the press have stated that he's been very punctual and professional, whereas Clinton had, at times, shown up an hour after he was scheduled to...

...I even heard of one reporter who said he always showed up around 30 minutes late, knowing full well that Clinton wasn't likely to be there before then anyway.

Oh, and after giving Sid's post more though, I've come to the conclusion that I should have been more specific. I don't believe I've ever claimed that we receive no aid, but I certainly don't see us receiving as much as we get. I maintain...

1 - Your post was overly dramatic and a bit un-needed, in my opinion. You could have simply mentioned that "New South Wales assisted Montana", to cite an instance of when we were helped.

2 - America is criticized constantly, quite often by our own media. Someone earlier, I believe, said something about America thinking highly of itself. I'd like to know which Americans they speak to. When I turn on the television to any news channel, I see people going off on the US and analyzing every mistake we make to death -- sometimes, it even goes too far. Our media is very critical of the US, the same way a parent, while favoring its child in some ways, is also the child's biggest critic.

I'd also like to add, on a very personal note, that I think God has truly blessed this land. We are an incredibly young country, yet the most powerful in the world. We have also changed the way some governments are run. We have changed the hands of power peacefully dozens of times -- something that simply did not happen long ago.

Say what you like, but when I think of America, I think of a country that, despite it's young age and such, is highly successful, highly revolutionary, significantly generous, and highly emulated as well. We are not without our problems, but I believe they will be ironed out in the end, thanks to other men made in the mold of Theodore Roosevelt, or Ronald Regan (man oh man am I gonna catch heat for that one).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, Reagan - now he was a genius. Yeah, I hate the media if only because of what they do to Reagan.

Most definitely to best President of the modern times.
    Come get 5,000 Full Color - High Gloss(front and back) business cards for only $270!
    www.diamondqueue.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reagan was a genius, and it's disquisting how the media is so biased that it covers up anything good that republicans do.

Secondly, considering how spit this thread is, it seems like a good time to ask.

I'm opening a conservative based news site soon, and I'm still looking for people to write articles. If you might be interested e-mail me at sianews@neo.rr.com for more details.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reagan had Alzheimer's and it was showing before the end of his second term.
    Clinton was a genius because he knew how to act average. He was a Rhodes scholar, who went to Georgetown and then went over to Oxford. He did all that with no pedigree, to say the least. And for all that, his nickname was Bubba, and despite all the scandals and stuff that went on, he probably could have gotten elected for the third time. Also, the US is centrist and as a nation, agrees more with Clinton than with Bush. I'm left- liberal and I have to deal with it. So do the conservatives, as they found out once, with the Newt Gingrich debacle.
    Bush wasn't elected because people liked him best, or preferred his politics. Between Gore and Nader the majority voted to the left of Bush.

Just for balance - both sides think the media is biased in favor of the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me a break. Fox News is the only conservative-slanting station. I can't think of any others. MSNBC and CNN both lean to the left.

Reagan's Alzheimer's was showing? I'd like some indication of that. I've read that it was deteted after he left office, and it was STILL in it's early stages. Heck, even if it was showing, he was better with half his memory tied behind his back than Clinton was at any point.

Clinton is a genuis because he was born that way. He's a smart person, who decied to use his talents to manipulate people and trick them into believing he was a man of integrity. I don't care what you say, there's something to be said for respect for your office, and your country, and he has none. I'd also like to hear what Clinton did, specifically, to allegedly boost our economy...

The problem here is that people foolishly label various candidates. Gore = liar, boring. Bush = stupid, party animal. Clinton = sexaholic, sneaky. Some of these are true to a degree, but from what I see, people slap these labels on someone, and they stick. Therefore, Bush is, amazingly, thought of as a stupid person even today, but millions of people.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's biased really is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. I thought that the Republicans have gotten away with murder without an appropriate outcry in the press, especially during the Reagan years. I understand that the opposition thinks the opposite.

As far as Reagan's Alzheimer's showing..lots and lots of people speculated that it was possible, when he was still in office. His "I haven't been briefed on that" as an answer questions on vital national issues wasn't reasurring. It didn't affect his popularity, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Glass Houses

Originally posted by sundown

You know, if you are going to attack someone's intelligence, you should learn how to spell "conspiracy". Just a thought.
    I know how to spell conspiracy. Unfortunately, I have a really small keyboard with a T right next to the Y and my big fat fingers sometimes press both and since I'm not an English teacher, I don't really care much about spelling. Besides, for all you know I'm lysdexic, which, I hope you know, has nothing to do with anybody's intelligence, or lack thereof. I still think Bush i san idoit.. but perhaps I misunderestimate him, no? After all, he did coin the term "misunderstanding".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martin, I honestly believe you're smart enough to realize that Bush is not an idiot -- he is not a stupid person. I'm not trying to massage your ego here, either.

psalzer: If you want to talk about bad Presidents who remained popular, you can go on and on about the last 8 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Give me a break. Fox News is the only conservative-slanting station. I can't think of any others. MSNBC and CNN both lean to the left.

All the folks I used to hang around were certain that the media, including CNN, MSNBC, etc.., were full of right wingers. You're definitely right about Fox, as for the rest it basically depends on what you are, rather than the station.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To everyone who's posted lately - this is what I'm saying.
    I supported Clinton, at least over his opposition. I certainly didn't agree with a lot of his policies but I liked them much better than even more conservative ones. But he certainly gave his opposition plenty of ammunition. Fact is..people liked him anyway. They liked Reagan despite downsizing, increasing separation between the rich and..everyone else, Iran Contra and who remembers what all else, and they liked Clinton despite a lot of things. You know how teachers always used to say, "This is not a popularity contest." about a variety of things. The presidency of the United States is a popularity contest and is totally decided on the basis of personal charm and charisma, and often chutzpah. I find this a little disturbing.

Typos happen. They shouldn't count in online debates unless the same mistake is repeated over and over and you're really running out of gas anyway.

And yeah..where you think the media stand depends on where you're standing at the time. It's all relative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Martin, I honestly believe you're smart enough to realize that Bush is not an idiot -- he is not a stupid person. I'm not trying to massage your ego here, either.
    You're right. I slipped out of E-Prime on this one. Bush appears as an idiot to me, however whether he really *is* an idiot, I guess we'll never know.

*reminds self to exercise E-Prime all the time*

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I truly believe Bush is a total dipstick.

This is not based on media slant - its based purely on what he himself said during the many addresses I have watched, during the (rather comedic) public debates with Gore and various other public appearances.

To say that he is smart, but "just doesn't talk to good" always makes me chuckle - and has yet to be evidenced by his policies and actions.

Just telling it how I see it

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "...that guy's a major-league a55hole..."

Comedy moment 4 sure.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be remiss of me not to mention here that I have finally received a reply from the Premier's Office (NSW) to my email (quoted earlier in the thread):
    The Premier has received your recent e-mail concerning the provision of
    emergency assistance to the USA and your comments have been noted.

Yours sincerely

Nini Vascotto
    Assistant Private Secretary

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow - Sid you're a politician now!

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it Montana in particular that was annoying you, freakysid? Those Montanananians take the biscuit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    It would be remiss of me not to mention here that I have finally received a reply from the Premier's Office (NSW) to my email (quoted earlier in the thread):
    Congratulations.