2 33.33%
  • Pretty damn good!

3 50.00%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick review of Tony @ Home

Just wanted to get some feedback on my latest home page. Not much purpose for it except to give myself access to my favorite links and to show family pics for far away relatives, although the family page hasn't been updated in awhile and needs to be redesigned with my new and hopefully improved look.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~tonychester
    Regards,
    Tony Chester,
    http://www.onwired.com
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared to the design of your old family pictures page - you improved A LOT!! I like the color choice, you seem to be a friend of blues, too!
    Plus: color choice, artwork, small news section on the right (makes people coming back again and again).
    Minus: I use a 1024x768 resolution, but the size of the page inside my browser seems to be locked to 800x600. Would be nicer when the size would adapt to the window size of the browser.

I give you a "Pretty damn good!".
    "Every takeoff is optional, every landing is mandatory."
    www.FeierMehl.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the colours go very well together...
    the combination of white, and the 2 purples is great.

as jensst has said, it is a little awkward with the extra space on the right if it is viewed in 1024 x 768. it would be much nicer if it could expand, or centering it would be just as well.

on my screen the @ sign in "tony @ home" seems a little dark, to an extent that it can barely be seen.

the red font on the web news section seems a little too attention grabbing.

lastly, it seems that the 4 bullets on the menu are all different images. it would be much more efficient to make them repetitions of the same image. i notice the rollover images are different too.

however, it is a great looking, soft and cozy, homey site.
    i like it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony,
    Your site seem to be not loading at this time...
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I tried centering the page but I'm using layers to display the Good Morning/Evening and Date and by centering it displays the text over the image. Not sure of a workaround for that. I'll look into lightning up the @ in my logo.
    Regards,
    Tony Chester,

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great personal site. Normally, I would urge against using "made with" links or images but being on a personal site is a different story. I like the navigation and color scheme. Overall design is good. It looked a little crammed together on the left navigation tables. You might want to add some cellpadding or cellspacing to get it off the lefthand margin.

I'm glad to see another mac user in the forums... we don't get that many in here.

Overall, I'd give it a out of 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never know whether to start with the good or bad. Let's go with good...

Your images are fantastic (p.s. any chance of nabbing the font you use for the robin williams quote?!) and the colours are good. Your overall layout is nice.

Well on with the bad...

Any luck getting it centered? It feels awkward having it rammed up against the left like that. I would finish off the tables (i.e. have some breathing space at the bottom as well as rounding them). I would round the table on the left (where the sitepoint tip is)

It's very slow to load. I was greeted with Good afternoon and a blue screen and that was it for quite a while. Good job I have some patience!

Pretty good though, especially for a personal site (many people probalbly wouldn't have put in so much effort!).
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'm getting pretty good feedback on this.
    weirdbeardmt: the font is Smile ICG Medium. I'll have to look into a slight redesign so I can get the page centered. The problem is I'm using layers to display the time and welcome message.

I noticed yesterday that it was extremely slow to load, it's due to the Moreover.com news feed. Sometimes they are really slow.
    thanks for all the feedback.
    Regards,
    Tony Chester,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey I like it! Good use of colors for night time. It gives me the atmosphere that your compy in your home late at night reading a book or something. Got to give credit for the sitepoint TOTD. I like the greeting too.

I do see some open spaces near the bottom and a large space to the right. I'm on IE 5.5 1024x800.
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by maadmac
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I tried centering the page but I'm using layers to display the Good Morning/Evening and Date and by centering it displays the text over the image. Not sure of a workaround for that. I'll look into lightning up the @ in my logo.

You could try to implement TABLES on your site and put the time and date in a cell that will look correctly at 800x600 or 1024x768.
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor