SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

find the motivation

I love creating websites and scripts. A couple years back I'd stay up till 3am designing sites and redoing them over and over again. But this last year I've felt lazy and unmotivated. I really want to get back in it and start creating again. I'm hoping I'm not losing my touch and skill. Does anyone get like this to? How can I get inspired and motivated to start up again?
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been suffering from the same lack of motivation and inspiration lately. I feel like i'm wasting away hour after hour of time I could be spending completing the many projects that i've been slacking on. I find it really frustrating, but I think it's precisely the staying up past 3am in the morning that's caused this. I'm trying to get back into it, but I think I really need to get away from it for a while.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe so, maybe I did to much of web develpment and design and needed a brake. It could be like eating to much chocolate at once and getting sick, then not wanting it for a while. I am trying aswell. I've been forcing myself into photoshop and creating a few layout, but I seldom finish them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recovered from the same symptoms. I spend many late nights building web pages and various internet businesses, but in late March, after spending close to $1,000 on a hosting business, gave up. I spent most of my time playing games and working until early May when I got layed off. At that point at just sat around listening to news programs and reading prophecy magazines until that promoted me to create an internet site of the same subject. So, after 2 months away from the net, I'm back and enjoying it again.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess everyone has to create a balance between work and play....even though design was considered "play" to me, but once I got a full time job as a designer, I got so sick of facing the computer.....

I have since quit my job, relaxed a bit, going freelance, choosing carefully when I should face the computer when I should not.
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xharine, I think you might be my not so evil twin. I feel exactly the same way now I've got a real job as a designer
    ...KartLink...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like apathy and no motivation is infectious. I am slowly making my way back to the way I was a year or two back when I really enjoyed every facet of design and development.

I think the key to getting back into it was finding another focus for my spare time. As I work in web development it seems to take all my creative energy and leaves nothing for my personal and company sites.
    Soooo I made a concious decision to spend more of my free time on other things, mainly basketball, weight training and music (singing and listening). After doing that for a few months I feel A LOT more motivated - even exited about the prospect of a new project or a redesign of a current site. I also plan to keep on doing these things to maintain a balance in my life becuase it seems to make a world of difference.

Also dont people say "absence makes the heart grow fonder" - to me this holds very true.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm the lucky one here. I'm what people call a "stay at home mum", and although I'm trying to get my own little web design business going, it's still very much a hobby, and I've no real intention of trying to push things to the point where I'm building webs all the time. Yes it will be nice to design for other people and make some money in the process, but I never want to get to the point where I have to tell my kids that I don't have time to take them to the park because I have 'x' amount of sites to finish and invoices to send out. I think if I ever got to the stage where I was working with webs all the time, be it self employed or for another company, I'd soon tire of it and feel the same lack of enthusiasm as you guys.

I suppose being a newbie to it all right now means I have a slightly different attitude to it all anyway, and maybe after a couple of years my enthusiasm will wane a little, but I hope not. For now though, I'm enjoying it too much and have way too much to learn still to even think about becoming bored with it
    Last edited by Saz249; Jun 10, 2001 at 05:22.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    school's eating up all my time!!
    its so ironic
    they tell me pursue my dreams but they take up all my time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    micmar, i think you make a good point about balance. I used stay on the computer for atleast 7 hours a day doing everything I could. I now see that it hurt me in many ways. My creativity soon vanished, my social life vanished and my school grades went down. Being on the computer so much gave me a one tracked mind. Doing sports and going out with friends refreshes the mind and give you experiences and ideas for new projects. I now realize my mistakes on not balancing my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now..isn't this so familiar. i've enoucntered this problem is the numerous attempts of finding my true occupation! well...web development is out for me =).

no idea. the moltivation comes suddenly...like..when i'm out with friends..or..when i'm listening to music....or when i'm on the bus home...hmm...
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of a music workshop I attended in college. I asked this world-class bassist who I respected essentially the same question, "What do you do when you don't feel motivated to practice?" He replied, "I have no idea what you're talking about. Next question." Grrrr. Now I get irked every time I see this guy's name in print.

I guess this doesn't help you any more than he helped me, but... at least you know you're not alone.

I will say that, if you're doing something you love, but it turns into a JOB, a lot of the joy is sucked out of it. I found this to be true in music. When I stopped worrying about it as a job and just came at it with the attitude of "doing it for fun," it started being fun again!
    Gratuitous sig URLs:
    Fitch&Fitch
    StarlightSite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fitch
    I will say that, if you're doing something you love, but it turns into a JOB, a lot of the joy is sucked out of it. I found this to be true in music. When I stopped worrying about it as a job and just came at it with the attitude of "doing it for fun," it started being fun again!
    I can't agree more with that.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great! Now you guys are starting to depress me. Whats the best career in computers now? Tech Support? Systems Maganment? Programming?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dethfire
    great! Now you guys are starting to depress me. Whats the best career in computers now? Tech Support? Systems Maganment? Programming?
    LOL, didnt mean to do that to you! As with anything if you over do it you can loose site of why it was fun in the first place. Thats all I was saying.

As for the best career in IT, well thats not really for us to answer, it for you to decide yourself.

At the moment im in web development/design having moved through fields such as system building, networking, digital imaging to name a few. I find I get bored if I hang around in one field for too long, although the web has so many avenues to explore I doubt I will be moving on for a while.

Obviously others differ from me and get set in one field and dont want to move becuase they enjoy it so much. You have to find that field, when you do you'll know it
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I become apathetic as well, but I really think most of the time it's loss of sleep, or some kind of burnout/overload of stress.

I can usually get myself going when I think about how little I know compared to some -- even compared to some younger and more dedicated than I am. That usually helps me to at least stay focused for the time being.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dethfire
    Out of all the jobs I've ever done in computing, I find staff training the most enjoyable. Strange as it sounds I'd much rather stand up in front of 20 people and deliver a course on using Dreamweaver to design websites than sit down and do it myself nowadays It's a job yes, but I enjoy it, so much so i'm even thinking of taking it up as a full time career!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most important thing, I feel personally, is NEVER go for a career just because it's an "IN" career at the moment. Don't work as a developer just because it earns big bucks, because it's the best career in IT now.

Follow your heart.
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site