User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My page validates HTML4.01 and CSS but doesn't work in Mozilla, only IE5

This is my page: http://rideau.prowsej.com/RHS0.51/main/
    It validates for both HTML4.01 and CSS (according to the V3C web-based validation services).

It looks the way that it is supposed to in IE, but in Gecko it appears to be missing many components. I am using the latest release of Kmeleon as my browser - if this browser isn't a good one to test my pages on as an example of Netscape6, LMK.

Beyond making sure that my pages are standards-compliant, what else do I have to do to make sure that they work well in Netscape6?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the page in Netscape 6, Moz 0.9, and IE5. In IE5, there was a blue strip at the bottom that covered up some of the text. In the other browsers, everything was perfect.

Maybe k-meleon is the problem.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by qslack
    I checked the page in Netscape 6, Moz 0.9, and IE5. In IE5, there was a blue strip at the bottom that covered up some of the text. In the other browsers, everything was perfect.

Maybe k-meleon is the problem.
    Yes, I'd like that blue strip to appear in all of the versions.

Thanks for checking the page (it's really helpful to have different people with different browsers installed)

From what I can tell, K-Meleon doesn't seem to be interpreting negative z-index values correctly. The way IE5 interprets a negative z-index value, is that that object is placed below text with no specified z-index value. However, K-Meleon seems be making objects with negative z-index values dissapear.

Can you confirm that negative z-index values are indeed a fully valid part of CSS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your page doesn't work in Opera 5.0 either.

The drop down menus don't work and all the top images don't come out correctly. Only two do.

And all the text comes out bigger than normal.

If you want a screen shot reply to this post with your email address.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confused about Opera.

I have the followign style specified in my stylesheet:
    body { margin: 0px; }

In Internet Explorer and Netscape6 this means that there is no margin around the page and that if something is put in the top-left corner of the page it will appear on pixel "1,1". Opera doesn't appear to be reading that value. If you open the page in Opera (I just downloaded and installed it, thanks for suggesting that I do so) it ads a margin!

Since both Opera and Netscape6 are standards compliant, shouldn't they render pages identically? Why do they disagree over an issue as fundamental as a margin?

These are three images of the same standards-compliant page taken in three different browsers:
    Opera:

Why does it have margins when the other two browsers don't have them?

Netscape6:

The background arrow composed of people's pictures doesn't even appear with Netscape 6 when I give it a z-index value of less than 0. If it's greater than zero it covers other elements. Currently it's "-1" and it completly dissapears with Netscape6 but it appears proerpyl in Opera and IE5.

Internet Explorer 5:

This looks exactly how I'd like it to.

I followed all of the standards and I'm using the latest browsers and their interpreting my code in wildly different ways! I thought this wasn't supposed to happen! I'm ready to give up and just say that I 'only support IE'.

Keep in mind that the menus are separate - I realize they don't work in the other browsers and I'll get to them later. Right now I'm more concered about basic page elements not laying out how I'd like them to. Don't worry about the menus.

Any help that you could provide would be very, very appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably going to flamed again over this statement, but how the browser decides to display your code is always going to be browser dependant.

What the standard does is define legal markup. The browser vendor will determine what to do with that on the given hardware it supports.

You can imagine a page perfectly "formatted" for a high resolution 18 inch monitor being displayed on a 4 inch display by a standards compliant browser. What would that browser would do with your attempt at WYSWYG?

The web is all about content. Those of you who think it's not are still living in the print world. Web "publishing" has come a long way, but it's still not a print world, and your hard efforts at making it a print world will always end in frustration as technology changes and people browse the web with different tools.

Those of you who really want a lesson in humility should browse with a "voice" browser aimed at the blind. I've run my site through one of these with humbling results. I know now how poor a web designer I really am.

-t

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right that browsers will always interpret my code.

However, what I'm trying to do with Netscape6 is very basic - I have an image that's not even being displayed. That's more than a slight problem - it's not even displaying my content because I have it set to display behind another element, something that is completly legal (using the z-index)

Yes, it's a publishing environment but I'm trying to pretend that it's not (and if flash were ASCII-based I would use it in a heartbeat)