SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swapping divs not extending page

I'm very frustrated with this. You know when you start a new site and it's just images and content and a clean slate there's that giddy feeling? And then you start working and nothing is working and suddenly you find yourself hating the site? That's where I'm at.

I have multiple divs that are hidden via display:none. When a link is clicked the correct div is displayed and if the content is longer than the page the footer should be pushed down and the page extended to hold all the content. When new content that is shorter is displayed the footer should move back up and the page shrink.

This is all (SHOCK!) working properly in IE6. It sort of works in Firefox although the footer disappears and the page never shrinks back down, it just stays long. I can live with the non-shrinking but I need the footer back. THEN on the Mac all kinds of wackiness ensues. In Safari the footer doesn't stay at the bottom of the page instead rising up to sit directly below the last div that is displayed on the page. IE for the Mac puts all the divs in the right place initially, but when a div is displayed that stretches beyond the viewport it cuts it off.

The page is http://stockyards.liquidprint.com/cooking_recipes.asp and the stylesheet is http://stockyards.liquidprint.com/style.css

If anyone can nudge me in the right direction I will be your biggest fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

great layout!
    and i'm a fan of the show/hide feature.
    It may be difficult to keep the page the same size as the content, since it's positioned absolutely, i'm gonna take a closer look and get back to you in a few.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey jbot, thanks for the compliment and for checking the code....

Okay, it's working perfectly in Firefox and IE on the PC now. I got rid of the table wrapper for the page and replaced it with a div wrapper. I also added a couple hacks into the stylesheet.

Code:
    /* commented backslash hack \*/ 
    html, body{height:100%;} 
    /* end hack */
    html,body {margin:0;padding:0; background-image: url(images/main_bg.gif);font-family: verdana, arial, tahoma, trebuchet ms; font-size: 11px;}

#main { 
    	border-left: 1px solid #85142A;
    	border-right: 1px solid #85142A;
    	background-image: url(images/mid_bg.gif);
    	background-color: #FBF6E0;
    	min-height:100%;
    	margin-left:auto;
    	margin-right:auto;
    	 }
    * html #main{height:100%;}
    Now it won't center horizontally on the Mac and the other problems still exist as well. Safari doesn't dynamically move the footer nor does it do the 100% height properly for the page. As far as Mac IE, it's a mess and I'm not even sure I care anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

it doesnt really line up on FFx/win. It works great, but the footer runs off the bottom and disappears..
    This helped me A LOT: www.webmasterworld.com/forum83/4646.htm

I was in meeting, i'm reading through your code now.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops. My fault. I forgot to upload the new header and footer files. Should line up and not lose the footer now in FF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it looks great!
    Good thing I can help

just a tip, so i feel useful looking through your code, it may help you to take ALL styles out of the HTML; it might conflict with your stylesheets. Also, the recipe items should be list items, it will make your life easier.

maybe you can help me with my issue?
    i posted a problem a few hours ago

thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I got this working perfectly. It was exactly the way I wanted it and now all hell has broken loose again. The page was originally done as a .cfm but then we were told the project was going to be in ASP so I switched them over. Everything was still fine. Well, we're finally building out the store and it's actually done in .NET so everything was once again converted and suddenly broken.

Now my divs are all crazy again. They're too long in IE and don't shrink in Firefox. I don't know what's going on at all. It's the same code and the same style sheet so I can only imagine that it's some sort of configuration issue with .NET.

Working file http://stockyards.liquidprint.com/cooking_recipes.asp

Busted file
    http://12.32.80.16/stockyards/cooking_recipes.aspx

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you figured out this issue yet?
    SOrry for not responding, but for some reason, i didnt get notified of your reply to the post.

The busted file seems to work for me on FF.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I did finally get it working although for the life of me I don't know what I did. Now the trick is to get the whole site functioning for Mac IE. Not pretty, just functional. Ugh.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we've decided at my company to not support IE/mac anymore, since MS isnt really behind it anymore. There are now at least 3 other options for mac users to use besides IE.
    maybe you can convince you client to not support it
    just a thought!
    good luck

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish! We don't support it whenever we can avoid it but with this particular client we have to. Their competitors all support Mac IE so they have to as well. And of course that's the problem. We'll support it and then the competitors will redesign and support it because we do and it goes into a vicious circle. Plus, I can't even get our art director to stop using it so I'm just stuck with it for the time being.