Hi all,

I'm not sure what forum at Site Point would be best for this question, so if this isn't it maybe a moderator will move it to the proper venue.

Anyway, I am a web developer for a private college. Although I have nearly 7 years experience in web site design/development, I will be the first to admit that I am a real novice when it comes to 508 compliance (ADA) issues.

There is some info here http://www.w3.org/WAI/ that I found, but it's almost to o much to digest at once.

My situation is that like many college/organizational web sites, ours was started as a "home grown" kind of deal. After several years of doing it all on their own, they hired me as the first person to be a web developer full time at the school.

So we have a HUGE site and most of the departments manage their own individual sites that is loosely governed by a web committee. There are as many opinions about ADA compliancy issues as their are people here. For a few years they have simply used an accompanying text only site, but it really isn't kept up well and we even have disputes as to whether this is really acceptable or not.

My question is, do any of you have any insight as to what the best procedure for us would be? Would you try to go to some training? I mean, I really only know of a few things, such as alt tags on images, etc, but clearly, that isn't enough.

We have several thousand pages that need to either come up to code (and I'm not even sure how to even start that) or to have text equivelant pages (which I'm not sure is a legal substitute or not).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!
Ron