SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can XML do for me (now) ?

I am thinking about learning XML and the accompanying styling language (XSLT?? please give me info on this... Im looking for the CSS equivalent to XML if there is any) but I dont even know what I can use it for.

If I knew XML pretty good right now, what could I do with it? what will I be able to do with it in the soon-to-be future?

Can XML be used on websites and not just RSS feeds currently? What can it be used for exactly?

I have read the XML primers at w3schools, so I know roughly how it is formed and wirtten, but I dont know what it could be used for other then certain applications.

Thanks

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this thread. It's one of the better recent ones in this forum that explains what you can do with XML. Hope it helps.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that link didnt offer any quick explanations-

in short xml is a way to organize a text file, nothing more. xsl is a way to transform that textfile into xhtml. the beauty of xml is it is portable (multiple libraries in multiple coding languages to parse it), and parsing xml files is fast. i'm a bit of a speed freak personally, and parsing a xml document into a array takes in the thousands of seconds usually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junkilo
    that link didnt offer any quick explanations-

in short xml is a way to organize a text file, nothing more.
    Yep, all it is is structured content.
    Quote Originally Posted by junkilo
    xsl is a way to transform that textfile into xhtml.
    Sort of, but that's only part of XSL's usage. XSL can transform XML into other XML dialects (i.e. a custom XML format to RSS), HTML, plain text, rich text (.rtf), PDF, and I've even seen XSL that generates Java and C# code. Then there's XSL-FO, which is another animal completely and something I'm not even sure about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Sort of, but that's only part of XSL's usage.
    sure you can make it do alot of things (now I'm going to go search about for discussions on usefulness of xsl), but most people use it for presentation related tasks in circles where i've discussed it.

dannyh, the quick tutorials at w3schools are great for grabbing a quick understanding of things like xml/xsl.