User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apathy inside

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apathy inside

Are you apathetic...? i am, but by default as it happens, my polling card is at the opposite end of the country to me. never mind maybe next time.
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm quite apathetic as a matter of fact.

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a little - where our politcians are concerned

During their supposed campaign, I never came across one candidate. If they can't be bothered to come to my door to try to win my vote, why should I give it to them?!

This said, I did make the effort to visit my local polling station because I feel that if you don't vote, then you have no right to complain when somebody you don't want gets elected - although I really wish they'd had a box at the bottom to place a "total no confidence" vote
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The politicians will have to work a lot harder to get my vote:
    a) They do not remotely represent my views.
    b) I refuse to believe that in a nation of 60 million-odd people, there are supposedly only three ways of governing us with a realistic chance of being adopted. And let's face it, two of them didn't have a 'realistic' chance.
    c) Anyone seeking public office should be automatically barred from it.
    d) The public should be consulted by referenda much more often, now that technology can facilitate it. I don't like this job-lot of policies that get thrown into manifestos. It's like "let's stick it all together, and ignore the fact that people may agree with this bit, and disagree with that bit. If we get elected, you take the whole lot".
    e)Politicians will never institute referenda like this, because it will do many of them out of a job. They find the idea of true democracy disturbing, and that is why electoral reform is having trouble getting started. When they are elected, they want power, not a coalition which more accurately reflects the way people voted. (Although I don't discount that having a strong government has many benefits).
    f) I look forward to the day when no-one votes. I'd love to see them wriggle their way out of that one.
    g) None (or hardly any) of them are sincere. They will toe the party line and mouth party platitudes, even if it is not what they believe, if they think it will further their career.
    h) I could do the job much better.
    i) And finally, they don't deserve my vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour, Cava!?

Better start learning the lingo, coz we are all gonna be 'Europeans' in a few years time - bye-bye Sterling!
    (not that I care coz I am jetting to the USofA!)

I didn't vote because, like Drinky, my polling card is at my home town (Southampton) - bring on internet voting.

The world is run by the big corporates anyways - can you say "Bilderberg"?

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted too! Now if only I could work up the enthusiasm to do something useful...

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you guys vote - Cheshire Cat? Thatchers Brat? or Ginger Prat? (I can get away with that coz I am a Ginga to!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there.

Excuse me, but what exactly do you British mean by "apathy" here? And what is the penalty for not voting in your country?

- confused down under
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general public of the UK have a great tradition of apathy towards politicians, probably because the're all idiots
    In the UK you have the democratic right to vote or not to vote as you see fit.
    DCE
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, mmj, we're referring to apathy because of the public's general attitude to this year's election.

To put it in a nutshell, rather a large number of people didn't bother to vote - for a number of reasons - giving the impression that either people didn't care or felt that Labour getting in was foregone conclusion so basically one extra vote less wouldn't make much difference.

Please note here, though, before I'm attacked, that I said 'giving the impression'. Watching some of the coverage on Sky News last night, they were putting the bad turn-out down to this, rather than contemplating the idea that people were deliberately not voting because they didn't think any party was worth it. As I said before, they should have a box where you can vote for a 'total no confidence' or (as was in a Richard Pryor film some time back) 'none of the above'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know what the words "ignorance" and "apathetic" mean???

I don't know and I don't care.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the U.S. large numbers of people always choose not to come out and vote. Its something like only half the country is even registered to vote, and only have of the registered voter show up to vote.. (i could be wrong on those statistics, i forget what they actually are, but its a pretty high number) so we end up with a quarter of the population making a decision for the entire population.
    And alot of people justify this by saying that one vote isn't going to matter. But that just isnt true, look at what happened in Florida, it was so close they had to do several recounts. i dont doubt that a few votes could have swayed the election either way.

The fact that i didnt like either canidate didnt stop me from voting, and i didnt vote for a 3rd party canidate either, because it is pretty pointless considering most people dont even understand that you can vote for a third party canidate. I simply watched the news, made my own desicion and chose what i felt was the lesser of two evils.

How ever part of me did want to Vote for Bullwinkle J. Moose as a protest vote for the now extinct Bull-Moose party.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    Do you know what the words "ignorance" and "apathetic" mean???

I don't know and I don't care.
    HAHA thanks man, i really needed a good laugh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there a Candidate for the Monster-raving-looney party this year???

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm - Every single candidate had the nerve to knock on my door - you obviously have ***** candidates Saz .

I did vote, but the "choice" was extremely limited, so it was something of a tactical thing.

Think we need politicians that are willing to discuss the more daring issues, in fact we need parties that are not commerce/tax obsessed. It seems that all debates in parliament now are conducted in monetary, rather than human terms (even issues such as Assylum, Healthcare, Education etc). While it is obvious that money is an issue with all of them, the real issues are avoided/deprioritised.

The H Party would:

Legalise Marijuana

Keep the pound, but encourage a less Europhobic attitude

Increase pay in the healthcare sector by abolishing the Lords and reducing the Royal family freebies (although not getting rid of them - merely assesing their tourism generation and paying relevent members accordingly)

Abolish student "fees" for domestic students, but add a 1% markup to basic income tax for ALL graduate jobs. Visiting foreign students would still have to pay fees. The surplus cash this would generate would be used to improve schooling at primary and secondary level, hopefully leading to greater College and ultimately University attendance.

Make second language compulsory from Primary level, and 3rd language optional.

Force telecoms companies to pool resources and profits and create a half decent infrastructure, including flat rate, affordable broad band for every home.

Make the public transport system a viable option. By this, I mean clean, regular and free to all UK passport holders. Money to be raised by redirection of petrol taxes, and by advertising revenue on all forms of transport.

and loads of other stuff......

VOTE ME

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm - Every single candidate had the nerve to knock on my door - you obviously have ***** candidates Saz
    H, now you know why I wanted a box that said "none of the above" on my voting slip!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H, I find your ideas intriguing, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

I especially the bit about public transport and primary/secondary education. Please come to Australia and run in federal politics.

What percentage of British people (would you guess) vote?

Roughly, I guess that about 95% of eligible voters in Australia vote. The possible penalty for not voting is a fine. Don't know how much.

In the US I hear that about 48% of people vote. Doesn't sound fair, but then again if someone doesn't bother to vote then perhaps it is fair enough in exchange to exclude their opinion from the process.

Also, what other parties are part of your Labour coalition, if that is the way it works in the UK?
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48%... i am from the U.S. and would have guess a lower number.. maybe i am wrong though.. but our you sure thats not 48% of people who register to vote actually vote?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bman - I really don't know. Maybe that figure was for the recent presidential election, and that in previous elections the voter turnout was lower. Would this be correct?
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know.. I forget the exact figure.. you could be right... its been awhile since i have given it any thought so i am not postive...

it just surprises the hell out of me that you can actually get a 95% turn out at the polls.. think i may have to come live there.. seems that people actually care a little bit..

mind if i stay with you for a few weeks until i get on my feet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in shock..........I knew the number of voters yesterday was low, but I didn't realise how low.

I just asked my husband if he'd heard it mentioned on the news and he said that only 59% of the voting population went to the polls yesterday.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the "None of the above" option - it would indicate to the parties that the public was unimpressed, not apathetic.

I too heard the 59% figure at some point today. While it is low, I think the idea of "forced" voting is not congruent with a "free" society. You should not have to vote for a party whose ideals you do not subscribe to,

Personally - I'm tempted to grab a laptop and a mobile and be a "travelling" web solution provider......first stop Thailand......

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong, H - I'm not saying that people should be forced to vote when none of the parties standing are representative of their (the voters) values. That's why I mentioned the "none of the above" thing.

I do however think that all 3 parties should look to the 41% who didn't vote and try to find out why rather than just assume that people couldn't be bothered to vote because they didn't care who got elected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was listening to NPR yesterday. They are dealing with the aftermath of the Florida voting debacle and its effects on the processes of voting. They interviewed several "people on the street". Of them just pissed me off so much.

It was this Spanish/Puerto Rican/Cuban (not sure) guy whose family had immigrated to America. He just turned 18 and said he wasn't going to vote...ever. Because, "I saw how they treated peoples votes and so why should I vote? It won't make a difference anyway."

Let me tell you people, that I wanted to kick this guys A$$. Get the hell out of my country you punk and take your family too. Voting is not only a privilege but a responsibility. The founding fathers decided they wanted to allow the general populace to decide who would rule them. Take that seriously and get your A$$ to the polls.

I have voted in every election since I turned 18 and I will vote in every election until I die.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes