SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think about these systems?

What do you think about these systems? Price ok? Can I find better features for similar prices elsewhere?

1. http://www.inet-pc.com/purchase/home...asp?SPEED=1000
    2. http://www.inet-pc.com/purchase/home...asp?SPEED=1300
    3. http://www.milwaukeepc.com/sampleform2.asp?kkit=440080

These systems are from two different local comp shops in my area. I currently have a 400 MHz Celeron from iNET (the first two links) and so far have only had 1 major problem with it, but when we had the problem w/ it, they kinda gave me the runaround about the problem, giving me lame excuses as if I knew nothing about computers.
    Last edited by HumanClay; Jun 7, 2001 at 17:50.
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They all look pretty nice. You probably would want more RAM and Win2k if you're doing a lot of work on them, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I've got 192 Megs RAM in my machine now... if I were to buy a new one, I'd prob steal the 128Meg chip from this comp. and place it in there!

What do you think would be better, one of those comps listed here, or a Dell? I like the fact that if I need any support, I can drive on down to the store and get it (don't have to wait on the phone or wait for a tech to come), but I think the Dell comps come with more stuff. hrmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HumanClay - If they were the only three choices I had, I would go for the Athlon 1300 system without a doubt.

Having said that, dont get sucked in by the list of software they supply with it. 90% of what they have listed is either included in windows or downloadable from the web for free anyway, so if you do buy a PC from them, ask how much the hardware is only - without there software package. DONT PAY FOR FREE SOFTWARE!

As for going Dell, well if you do you will limit your choices to Intel based systems as they dont sell AMD CPU's.

good luck!

http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know all the software that they list is mostly available free on the net. My comp right now which I bought there came with all that same software (their packages haven't really changed software-wise). They don't even come with Office or Word...

Does anyone know any national retailers such as Dell that offer AMD systems, but are also a reliable company (such as Dell!)??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there is...

Gateway - www.gateway.com
    Compaq - www.compaq.com
    HP - www.hp.com

They are the big 3 competitors to Dell. But if I were you I would seriously look at GamePC and Alienware. They are 2 companies who sell custom built systems that really do perform well. They use brand name components (such as Asus, MSI, creative etc) that are available to the everyday consumer, where as many of the parts for the other 3 companies are made for them specifically, making it hard to get support for them further down the track. Also brands like Asus and MSI are regulary updating there drivers - alot more than what the big three above do.

Anyway check out there sites. If I was making the choice I would go for GamePC, there systems rock.

www.gamepc.com
    www.alienware.com

Any other questions?
    Last edited by micmar; Jun 9, 2001 at 07:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly unless you want to shoot yourself in the foot, go with Alienware or another company - not HP, Compaq, or Gateway. HP should have stayed in printers - the computers I've dealt with from them just plain suck. Gateway has major upgrading issues unless you go through them and pay their inflated prices (not to mention their stuff isn't that reliable in the first place) and Compaq isn't really great either.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose I should have mentioned that I do NOT like HP or Compaq. Gateway are reasonable but as I said I would always go with someone like GamePC. The reason I listed HP, gateway and compaq was purely to answer HumanClay's question:

Does anyone know any national retailers such as Dell that offer AMD systems, but are also a reliable company (such as Dell!)??
    Hope that clears things up a bit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Thunderbird 1.3Ghz certainly rules the roost in those three systems you chose.

You may want to look into customising it a bit though - upgrading to better sound, perhaps better graphics (that card would be cool for some games but otherwise).

Their sound card is a generic 16 bit sound card.

Look at that - what's with the "INTEL INSIDE Pentium III" logo on the picture!!! it is an AMD! AMD would be turning in their sleep if they knew somebody had called their product a Pentium.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj

Look at that - what's with the "INTEL INSIDE Pentium III" logo on the picture!!! it is an AMD! AMD would be turning in their sleep if they knew somebody had called their product a Pentium.
    Holy crap!!! I didnt even notice that, man DONT buy a PC from these guys - they cant even get the marketing and logo's right!

Infact I would rate that even worse than when PC shops tout that there systems have an "Intel Pentium celeron Inside".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wasn't planning on getting one of the name brand comps. My very first computer was a Compaq 120MHz. We bought it from Best Buy, brought it home, set it up, turned it on, and started messing around with some programs (it was my first computer!) About 30 minutes or so it just crashed. We called Compaq support, and after about 2 hours of dealing with them, they told us we ad a faulty harddrive and would have to wait for a tech to come and install a new one... about one week later I finally got to play with my new comp! haha. Thank goodness I learned how to install hardware myself

I was looking at those GamePCs and Alienware comps. Those look fabulos. I think I'm going to purchase my next PC from one of those two companies! Thanks for those links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, happy to help

You wont be dissapointed with either companies systems, they really do pride themselves on there custom made PC's. You do pay a little more for them but it is worth it in the long run.

Let us know which system you decide on.