SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: DW Libr Items

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DW Libr Items

So who here uses them and what complaints, praises can you give them.

I've heard good and bad things about them but continue to use them, beacause of the double server connect of SSI.

What do you guys/gals think? Or do you have any experiences to share.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't see why SSI is a problem, you will hardly notice the download times!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SSI isn't such a problem in terms of load time, the biggest advantage of using Library items over SSI is that they're all stored within Dreamweaver so you don't need to maintain a seperate HTML page for each element you'd like to use as a Library item.

I've never used SSI within Dreamweaver, but use Library items to maintain navigation bars and javascripts that are used in several places on the site, and i've had no problems with them. In fact they're really useful

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think you could explain these Library Items a bit more, Fluffykins? I would like to know how they can be compared to SSI. And the advantages of them. Thanks.

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben, say you want to have a newsletter sign up form on every page on your site.

You could use SSI to include the form for the newsletter signup section on all pages on your site.

However, in DW what you do is you save the form of the newsletter signup section to the library. Then when your creating another page for the site in DW you simply click on that library item from the library window and that form is put onto that page.

Here's more on the Library in DW.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith's exactly right. The only real thing I can add to that is that if you then decide to change that form by adding say, another field to it you can change the Library Item itself and it'll go away and update every instance of the form in the site.

Very, very similar to SSIs but not requiring any specific server-side technology.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All that it does is do a find/replace against every document on your site when you change an library item.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well feed me nails and call me rusty!
    i can use this EXACT method on a current project. i've got this menu all made up, but i know that the owner will be adding sections, but in the meantime i'm continuing work. i wasn't looking forward to editing every damn page and i just last night checked to see if her server supported ssi, and it doesn't.

thank you masked stranger!
    it's amazing what velocity can do
    when human beings are in season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I have one site that is about 70 pages deep...

First time I updated the text menu, it took a full day. Then my partner says,"Uhh...library item?". Next change took about 5 seconds to update entire site...
    Gary Reynolds
    -- My Frac Art --

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point of being able to make such changes on-the-fly is what SSI and PHP and databases are about. They're a much better implementation then library items.

Rather than having the common items inserted into every page, you have the uncommon items inserted into one page. For example, I have a template called index.php. When the page is viewed, teh URL is like so - index.php?page=200

The page automatically gets the couple elements of content and that page is even easier to maintain then DW Library items because the content is completly separated from the presentation (I can also create printable versions on-the-fly, etc.)

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not keen on any utility that is dependent on a client side tool.

For example, if you have to go out and do some maintenance on a client's website and use their machine, and they say:
    "Please add a new item to the menu bar".

Do you say:
    "I'm sorry but I couldn't possibly do that because you do not have Dreamweaver installed on your machine".

How embarassing!

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree 100% with Nicky.

That said, I use DW library items extensively in an intranet site I maintain at work, b/c the infrastructure is so antiquated it doesn't support SSI or any kind of database integration.

So it's really a design decision. What do you have to work with? How long do you have to implement everything? Are there going to be problems updating later?

Sometimes the best answer will be a library item. Sometimes not.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Templates are another nice feature of DW that I ignored for a long time, but now I like them a lot. They are sort of libraries turned around, i.e.: when your pages vary, but have one particular item in common, put that item in a library. But when your pages are similar, and only certain areas vary, put the rest of the page in a template.

I think the DW way works very well for what is essentially a static site. Not really necessary to use a server-side tool when DW makes the job easy.
    Gratuitous sig URLs:
    Fitch&Fitch
    StarlightSite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not keen on any utility that is dependent on a client side tool.

For example, if you have to go out and do some maintenance on a client's website and use their machine, and they say:
    "Please add a new item to the menu bar".

Do you say:
    "I'm sorry but I couldn't possibly do that because you do not have Dreamweaver installed on your machine".

How embarassing!
    You could potentially mitigate this problem w/a laptop...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Nicky but I have no outside clients, all my work is on my comp and backed up daily so Library items work for me. But that is a usefull point I will keep in mind.

Two more downsides of Library items is that if you move, rename, delete, or do anything to the library items outside or dreamweaver, you might be looking at a world of DW chaos. And you still have to upload the millions of pages you just changed. SSI works better on huge sites I think.

It is especially usefull putting library items INSIDE templates for huge sites with different looking sections. Every section has a template and its own set of library items. Very usefull, but remember I still have to upload EVERYTHING I changed. Not that its a lot of time, but DW doesn't do so well running around a server. I use another FTP program do use stuff like that.

I feel this is one of the most important features of DW. It saves me a lot of time.

Another thing about library items that I like is that DW spits out the HTML code. Very usefull when your main users can't see SSI or when your working on a server that doesn't support it.

I'm not a SS coder yet, but maybe that will be the way to go when I am. For right now its LB items.