SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to get your comments - www.FeierMehl.com

Hey guys,

I'd like to have your opinion on my simple, private webpage. I just know the basics of HTML and Perl, so please don't expect something extraterrestrial.

http://www.feiermehl.com -> switch to english on the left top

With this page I try to keep in touch with all my friends and relatives over in Germany, because I do my internship for a year here in the U.S. It has a News section, a collection of all the photos I've taken during my stay, a UBB Board, a virtual greeting card service and some other stuff.

Since I am new to webdesign and programming, I'd like to know what you like, dislike and what I could/should improve.

Jens
    Last edited by Jensst; Jun 14, 2001 at 16:28.
    "Every takeoff is optional, every landing is mandatory."
    www.FeierMehl.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall it's pretty cool. I like that you're background images are faded out enough that it doesn't interfere with the text. Colors are cool and calm. Bonus points since you're living in my old home town. Had to save your picture of the freeway. My negatives are...it's hard to read the www.feiermehl.com text along the far left of the page and when clicking on Fullscreen it enlarges the page but the link stays Fullscreen. Perhaps have it change to say Minimize or Regular Screen. Otherwise it's great!
    Regards,
    Tony Chester,
    http://www.onwired.com
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maadmac, I'm glad you like the site overall!

About your suggestions: great idea, it would be definitely better if the Fullscreen button would change to something else in the Fullscreen mode! But how do I do that?! Do I have to create a completely new navigation.html or do I just set the source of this particular image to something else?! How?

Hmm...you think the vertical 'www.FeierMehl.com' is hard to read? Maybe I should vary the color. Actually it has no real meaning, I just put it there because the space on the left seemed so "empty".

_Jens
    www.FeierMehl.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks nice

I like your site, I would change the font though, try to use Verdana, Tahoma, or something similar, also I would lose the background in the right framer....

Good luck
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it. It's very fresh looking...no clutter. Easy to navigate. Easy to read.

Oh, and I love the design of your nav bar
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good site. I think the number of forums you have on your UBB should be reduced based on the number of posts you're getting.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a major problem in NS 4.6. The page does not display. Instead I get the source code for your frameset.

In IE the first thing I get is a pop-up telling me I'm not running the right resolution. You *do* know that 800x600 is the most commonly used resolution, don't you? Why not make your site scale to the visitor's resolution instead of trying to make them use yours?

Next thing I get is another pop-up, a poll asking me how I like the redesign of the site. Well, I haven't had a chance to even look at it yet!

In the "gallery" section I would make the dates and topics top align with each other. Also, on the individual pages you have next and back. I'd add a link inbetween back to the main gallery page if someone doesn't want to go through the entire series.

I like the color scheme and your graphics, they're very nicely done. Overall, I think it's very good and will serve the objective you stated very well. However, I'd really recommend you look into that NS issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

FindSP.com: I changed the font to Verdana. And yes, it really looks better! Thx. But, what do you mean by "I would lose the background in the right framer...."?

Saz249: Thx, glad you like it.

Anarchos: the UBB is hardly used at the moment, coz it was offline for 6 months and just went online again a few days ago. I will see how much my friends post in the future and will consider reducing the number of forums. Thx!

JeromeQ:
    - That's bad with NS4.6, haven't tried it yet. Could it be because the '/en' is just a symbolic link to '/index_en.html' on the Unix server?!
    - I didn't know that most people use 800x600! Hmm...I will have to figure something out about this.
    - Haha! Good point about the poll window, didn't think about it that way! I will embed the poll somewhere else, maybe in the News section?! Thx for the hint.
    - "In the "gallery" section I would make the dates and topics top align with each other" - I didn't understand that...

- Yep, I agree about the "Back to Gallery" button, I will add it.
    - Glad you like the color scheme.

Thanks for all the input, I will let you know as soon as I implemented all your suggestions...

_Jens
    www.FeierMehl.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review

Wos, you seem to know more than you say. Your nav bar is fantastic! Thoguht the site was clean, visually appealing and easy to navigate. Great job.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jensst

- That's bad with NS4.6, haven't tried it yet. Could it be because the '/en' is just a symbolic link to '/index_en.html' on the Unix server?!
    Well, I tried http://www.feiermehl.com/index_en.html and it worked in NS. I've never heard of "symbolic links" before. How do they work?

- I didn't know that most people use 800x600! Hmm...I will have to figure something out about this.
    You might want to get a stats program happening for your site. I like the extreme tracker. It's free and besides detailed hit count and referral sources, it tells you what operating system, browser/version, resolution/screen depth settings, etc. that your visitors are using.

http://www.extreme-dm.com/tracking/?home

Or to see one in action, click the little globe icon at the bottom of this page:

http://www.13thbombsquadron.org/

"In the "gallery" section I would make the dates and topics top align with each other" - I didn't understand that...
    In your table, if the date(s) on the left take up two lines but the text in the right column only takes up one line, then the one line comes out in the center of the two lines to the left and vice versa. (I hope that makes sense.) If you set the cells to vertically align to the top, the first row on the left would be at the same level as the one on the right. To me, that looks more symmetrical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hyperfeast!

hey Jens - I guess the url for the English version is http://www.feiermehl.com/index_en.html as JeromeQ points out - the stats I've seen indicate that about three-quarters of viewers use an 800×600 resolution, although that must vary by site - found a couple of typos - on News, "Thanks for sharing those wonderfull pics" - "this page moved back again to the fromer (free) host" - on E-cards, in the music choices, "Addidcted to Love" - obviously, these are trivial and temporary errors - overall, I'd say this site does well as a "simple, private webpage" - the navbar, rollover images, and variety of useful and fun features are nice additions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing to note I must have viewed it after you made all these changes because I was presented with an beautiful well designed site. Your graphics are awesome. If it was me I would make the line in your top frame meet the nav image just to give it a more complete feel.

In response to getting rid of the "fullscreen" button there are a number of ways to do it. If you are only running a static HTML page then you would be forced to modify your existing script which sends it to full screen. It should detect what resolution is being displayed and either a) offer the option to go fullscreen or I suppose b) to close the window if already at fullscreen.

I would offer help with the code but I can't get at your code cos someone wiped Notepad off this computer!

Apart from that it's great. Fun, clean and simple.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are such a great help folks!! Thanks!

dmwhipp, thanks for the compliment. I really don't know much about WWW programming, I'm just starting...

JeromeQ, you can create symbolic links when you have a Unix host, the command is 'ln'. In IE 5.x and NS 4.7xthe trick with the 'en' link works fine, wonder why NS 4.6 is messing it up. What operating system are you running? About the table issue: I will play around with it. My web host provides a complete stats system, maybe I should have a look into it and find out what resolutions people use on my page.

mmi, yep, that's the URL for the english version, I just used the symbolic link 'en' for it so people don't have to type or remember so much. Unfortunately browsers like NS 4.6 make problems with that. Errr...thanks for the typos, removed them immediately *blush*. The music in the e-card section doesn't work yet, will fix it soon.

weirdbeardmt,
    - I implemented all suggestions from these folks here yesterday, except for the fullscreen button issue. That's why you did not see most of the "wrong" things.
    - The thing with the line in the top frame is a great idea and I already tried to do that. But I was not able to align the top frame to the left frame so the line is seamless across both frames, so I changed it back again. Any idea how I could do that?
    - About the Fullscreen isssue: my script already detects if the window is fullcreen. If it is, it closes the window. A nice to have would be that the 'Fullscreen' button on the top left changes to a 'Close' button in fullscreen mode. Should be possible to do by embedding a small JS into the navbar, right?!
    www.FeierMehl.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old editors never die..., you just wish they would!!

on new News, "I also added some new features, here are the main ones:" - this is a "comma splice" and is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN! - needs a semicolon, m-dash, period, something... - "Works the same way as Yahoo!" or 'Works like Yahoo!" - "you can compose" - need a period after the first sentence in Feedback function - "who don't have anything to do but forward these" - another comma splice in the FAQ blurb

I should be able to find work in a week or two - that will allow me a needed outlet for my copyediting neurosis - we can only hope

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful design. Looks like you spent a lot of time on it. I tried your greeting card. It worked well.

The only critique I can give is to find some way to keep the mailing information someone has filled out when they click on one of your pictures in the greeting card section. I filled out the mailing information then clicked on the picture I wanted and all my information was lost, so I had to fill it out again. I would have a preview option instead. Or just don't allow the user to select the picture and be brought to a new screen.
    But again, I'm being overly critical. Your site is very impressive.

http://www.searchnightlife.com
    info@searchnightlife.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serious Netscape problem here. On NS 4.75, I only get code and I see that someone else had that same problem with NS 4.6. This is my biggest pet peeve, designing for one browser only. Download Netscape (its free you know) and check your pages. I'm going to assume you will have problems with web tv and any other browsers out there as well.
    Raven Bren
    NS 4.75, 800x600-1024x768, T1 cable, Win "98

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give up with NS. It is not able to handle the symbolic links correctly, so forget about typing http://www.feiermehl.com/en for the english version. Just go to http://www.feiermehl.com and switch to english.

Thanks for the hint anyway...

_Jens
    www.FeierMehl.com