SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Go Sixers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go Sixers!

I just can't contain myself!! As a diehard Philadelphia sports fan, let me tell you...we have been celebrating the 76'ers great season, MVP award, Defenseman of the year award, Coach of the year award, Eastern Regional Championship, and most recently a great win over the 9 game undefeated defending National Champs , the LA Lakers!!

This is me -->
    Last edited by abwebs; Jun 7, 2001 at 17:43.

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a 76'ers fan per se. In fact I'm a californian. But... It's awful nice to see the "unbeatable" lakers eat some crow at home. I hope the 76'ers go all the way and put some humility back into la's finest.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Lakers fan, but I believe that history has a way of repeating itself...

1989: The Lakers swept through the playoffs... but in the Finals...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...bafinals/1989/
    ---------------------------------
    UnobUtt: http://www.unobutt.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great link yajirobe - thanks!

We'll see what tomorrow night brings... then it's back to Philly~!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blah! Being from Milwaukee, I had to route for the Bucks in the last round of the playoffs...

I'll admit that Bucks blew a lot of those games, but you, as a Sixers fan, HAVE to admit that the Sixers were getting *ALL* the calls. There were many missed travels, and the refs were making terrible foul calls. Half the time a Bucks guy never even touched the Sixers players, yet they got the call.

Also, do you really think Iverson should have been MVP? Throughout the entire Bucks/Sixers series, Iverson was a ball hog! He did make several excellent shots and had some great assists, but I don't know how many times he took awful shots when a pass would have been a much better choice. A few of those games, his shooting % was horrid.
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HumanClay
    Blah! Being from Milwaukee, I had to route for the Bucks in the last round of the playoffs...

I'll admit that Bucks blew a lot of those games, but you, as a Sixers fan, HAVE to admit that the Sixers were getting *ALL* the calls. There were many missed travels, and the refs were making terrible foul calls. Half the time a Bucks guy never even touched the Sixers players, yet they got the call.

Also, do you really think Iverson should have been MVP? Throughout the entire Bucks/Sixers series, Iverson was a ball hog! He did make several excellent shots and had some great assists, but I don't know how many times he took awful shots when a pass would have been a much better choice. A few of those games, his shooting % was horrid.

I'm actually a Suns fan but I love the underdogs (Sixers)....

Iverson being MVP : could you accuse a certain M. Jordan of not being a ball hog?

Granted, Jordan's career FG% is way higher than Da Answer (about 48% from memory opposed to Iverson's 41%) but a real MVP carries his team. Allen Iverson has done just that, and he'll need to repeat it throughout the rest of the series if Philly wants to even win 3 out of the next 6 games.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jordan passed more than Iverson does. He didn't take terrible shots either. When he knew he couldn't make a shot, he did something else with the ball. He did get away with a lot of stuff though...
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Go Sixers!

Originally posted by abwebs
    ...and most recently a great win over the 9 game undefeated defending National Champs , the LA Lakers!!...
    19 games actually -- dating back to April 1st. 11 of those in the playoffs -- undefeated in postseason play until last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't even comment on the Bucks series... moreless the sportsmanship of the Bucks.

Iverson continues to be a wild player. He has matured some, and one thing I do believe is that he IS a team player. Although, I think he holds the ball too long to make a shot, but can weasel his way in to score in spaces I never thought possible.

This series I'm more a Dikembe Mutombo fan, and of course, our newest protege, Raja Bell.

We'll see what happens tonight.

GO SIXERS GO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by BC

Iverson being MVP : could you accuse a certain M. Jordan of not being a ball hog?

Granted, Jordan's career FG% is way higher than Da Answer (about 48% from memory opposed to Iverson's 41%) but a real MVP carries his team. Allen Iverson has done just that, and he'll need to repeat it throughout the rest of the series if Philly wants to even win 3 out of the next 6 games.
    Please tell me you arent saying Jordan didnt deserve his MVP awards.
    I can think of no player more deserving than Michael.

As for carrying the team, I think that one player cant carry a team all the way to the championship. They have to have help along the way, IE Pippen and Grant/Rodman for Chicago. When the game was there to be won, Jordan was always the man to take the tough shot but that is NOT carrying the team, its leading the team - theres a difference.

If you put Iverson in the Clippers or Golden State line up they still wouldnt make the playoffs, no matter how much he scored, becuase there is no supporting cast.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on micmar!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe sorry I get a bit defensive when someone has a go at MJ.

The sixers have had a stellar season and there roster looks the goods for a while to come. They seem to have a good mix of youth and experience. What ever happens, its sure to be one hell of a good showcase of basketball if game one is anything to go by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been an unbelievable ride even before the finals. This year has been awesome. Iverson always adds a spice, and our trades were controversial, but Mutumbo is holding his own... he should for $4 bazillion dollars, or whatever he's getting. Hmm, maybe I should bag web designing and become a basketball star? Naaa.

Yes, the future looks bright for the team. Hard to believe two seasons ago the Sixers home court attendance rivaled a high school game!

Hope everyone enjoys the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sixers rock..I loved that win by six points over L.A.

I've been a die-hard philly fan since I can remember, as I live in one of it's close-by suburbs. I have never seen a philly basketball team dominate the way these 76ers do, and I don't know if we'll see one for a while to come.

Also, has anyone noticed the AMAZING difference in the enthusiasm of the different cities? It is almost as if the Lakers fans think L.A has it wrapped up, because they don't even care out there (or so it seems). The crowds are dead silent inside the stadiums, and there's no posters or anything. In philly, however, there's signs, posters, a sort of phenomena that has come over the city. It seems as if philly has more heart.

Just thought i'd put in my two cents.

'Till next time..
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sixers all the way!!
    Quality, Professional Web Hosting
    www.host-tastic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really really really happy for Iverson and the Sixers. He is a true baller, with the heart of a champion. He is the most fearless player in the NBA right now. He goes to the hole against ANYBODY in the NBA. You gotta love him for that. I have watched Iverson mature from high school to where he is now. BOY has he come a long way!!! I really think the biggest maturation in his overall game occurred between this season and last season. Pound for Pound, he is the best player in the league hands down. I mean...seriously..when was the last time a 6-1 player led his team to the NBA finals let alone be the league MVP. So like I said I'm happy for him..

Philly has the best and the worst fans in the world. Either they hate you or they love you. I vividly remember they way they dogged Donovan McNabb when he was drafted, Now he's the second coming of Allen Iverson. Only in Philly!

But despite my admiration for Iverson and the Sixers...I am a Lakers fan at heart!!!! You all did good on Wednesday, but tonight will be a different story...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iverson came a long way

This is an interesting bio of Iverson. He was raised by a 15 year old single mother.

http://www.worldsportsmen.f2s.com/iverson.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn the NBA...I work at a TV station (well actually it's two stations, in the same building and owned by the same company) and we have news on one of em at 10:00PM and on the other at 11:00PM. On Sunday the 10 o'clock news is 20min+10min "SportsExtra" (normally 45min+15min "SportsExtra") and we tape morning sports right after it, because there's the extra 1/2 hr before the 11 o'clock news (normally it gets taped at 11:30). But tonight, the game had three minutes left when we wrapped the show @ 10:30. We couldn't do morning sports till the game finished, so we ended up taping it *after* the 11:00 (which started at 11:15 tonight because of CBS's idiotic movie "something to talk about" that was 2hrs 15min...) which means I didn't leave there till midnight...grr...
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like this series is going to go down to the wire. Iverson scored 35 in game 3 but still couldnt pull out the win. Probably becuase Shaq and Kobe scored over 30 themselves

Hopefully the sixers can square things up in game 4 to keep the series really cookin'