User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Offering Members 50% Ad Revenue for Content

How does this idea sound? ...

I have an Article Submission Module on my website and website members can publish articles they have written on the websites subjects. What I plan to offer as an incentive is to let them take 50% of the ad revenue of that page.
    So I would just use a rotating banner on that page with 1st banner = my ad i.e. google adsense with my ID and the 2nd banner has the Authors/Members Ad i.e. google adsense with their ID.

I take it that Google allows people to have their ad placed on other websites like mine. Has anyone tried this sort of system?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how it could hurt, although it doesn't sound like the best deal for the writer. They'd have to write tons of content to make a few dollars. Most content readers are smart enough to not click on ads and just read the content, especially once they've caught on to what you're doing.

But I don't think there is anything stopping you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, I'm not sure you understand exactly what I'm doing, The content they submit goes live on my website so the general public can view it not just the authors. So the articles and the ads are live to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover
    I don't see how it could hurt, although it doesn't sound like the best deal for the writer. They'd have to write tons of content to make a few dollars. Most content readers are smart enough to not click on ads and just read the content, especially once they've caught on to what you're doing.

But I don't think there is anything stopping you.

Application Developer shabbirbhimani's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    digitalpoint does this type of revenue.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I offer my writers all of the banner ad space in their articles and I still have trouble getting proper content.....

My traffic levels are very high so I have high standards for content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mobilephones what your traffic levels?
    AquaticCommunity
    Small sites:1 2 3 4 5 6

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Gekko
    mobilephones what your traffic levels?
    Not very high, about 700 uniques a month, thats why I need content to help with traffic.

Business Growth *******s, Inc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's a very nice incentive to get more articles.

What are the subjects of your websites, I might have some articles for you!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Edora, the site is about audio products for musicians. The articles are about music and audio production etc. I'm currently running a contest so I just started getting a few articles from that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Edora
    Well, it's a very nice incentive to get more articles.

What are the subjects of your websites, I might have some articles for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are ever in need of someone to write for one of your phone sites, I'd be very interested

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi john,

yes I would be interested, feel free to contact me or talk about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by john43202
    If you are ever in need of someone to write for one of your phone sites, I'd be very interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting Idea but I don't think it would fly for many writers unless you got a lot of traffic. Plus there would be no way for the writer to know if your being honest with them.

Another thing you have to worry about is plagiarism. People try to submit content for sale on my site on a regular basis that is stolen. Or they changed the words around a bit from a already published article. You can use something like copyscape.com for this.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a very smart idea... maybe a lot of week keeping track of all the ad revenues on a page per page basis though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a very smart idea... maybe a lot of week keeping track of all the ad revenues on a page per page basis though
    That would be the difficult part. It's best to start some sort of automatic system so that publishers can see at any time how much money their page has earned them. Creating such a system, however, would require extensive technical skills.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, sorry for the delay but I just want to say thanks for the feedback etc plus I have created this module for my website. I would appreciate it if some of you can sign up and try it out, just write a small two paragragh review on your cell phone and you will start to see the stats change for your ads.

You can read more here: http://www.rightmobiles.com/membership.asp

its simple and it seems to works well, let me know your feedback!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilephones
    How does this idea sound? ...

What I plan to offer as an incentive is to let them take 50% of the ad revenue of that page.
    So I would just use a rotating banner on that page with 1st banner = my ad i.e. google adsense with my ID and the 2nd banner has the Authors/Members Ad i.e. google adsense with their ID.

I take it that Google allows people to have their ad placed on other websites like mine. Has anyone tried this sort of system?

Hi,

I have heard about banner exchange before where publishers/webmasters looking for content signup with the major content providers and in return they get the facility of banner sharing.

Webmaster put up few of the affiliate/promotion links and the visitors going to the merchant site can see the banners at the top.

One I am talking is about 123Greetings.com at http://associates.123greetings.com which provides free ecards content for the webmasters and in return also gives them the 50% banner sharing facility

So, IMO this banner sharing works for webmasters where they get content as well as the opportunity to earn with banners increasing the CPM/CPC ratio.
    Build your outsourcing strategy now!!
    Email : jitenjain @ gmail.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thats interesting jitenjain, I think my concept works well because its simple.... Register, add Article and thats it.

Originally Posted by john43202
    Hey John, its all ready to go and fully automated. Look forward to hearing from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took me a minute to catch on, but I think this is a very interesting idea. I wonder though, what would happen in the event of click fraud?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well because members use their own ID's then if they start clicking their ads then they will only cause problems for themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure members won't be wasting their time clicking their own ads if they have read the terms whereas they will be more interested in clicking merchant site to get/set more links on their site for increasing the content thus promoting their own site
    Build your outsourcing strategy now!!
    Email : jitenjain @ gmail.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds perfect to me. Mostly these 50% Ad revenue works for content providers where they offer free content as well as they also offer other ways of income too

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shabbirbhimani
    digitalpoint does this type of revenue.
    Does anyone make much money doing this at digital point? is there an increased risk of having your adsense account banner by participating?
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I would take the chance on getting my adwords account killed by doing this.

Authors will encourage their friends to click on their ads, click through rates will be suspicious and I'm sure google will red flag the transactions.

If you have a throw away adsense account it might be worthwhile.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds very similar to the pay-per-read schemes offered by Epinions and its clones. Writers are catching on that this type of thing offers them a bad deal when compared with a flat fee, because it involves promoting their articles and your site, as well as doing the writing. There are a number of articles on writers sites that warn against this sort of arrangement, so recruiting experienced writers will not be easy. A flat fee is invariably a better deal for them.

You can also expect people to copy other people's articles, as well as copying their own articles from other sites (which they often still hold the copyright on). Then there are the writers who pose as consumers, when in fact they are marketers promoting their own products, or panning those of their rivals. Trust and reliability don't do too well when you have automated sites that anyone can submit articles to.

Application Developer shabbirbhimani's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaRosaDesign
    Does anyone make much money doing this at digital point? is there an increased risk of having your adsense account banner by participating?
    Best place to ask that is at there forums.