SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My First Post!

I use HomeSite from Allaire (http://www.allaire.com) and it really helps with changing small things in your website.

If you have your website in one folder you can navigate to Search then Extended Replace... and you have different options. In your situation you can just paste the menu into the top box and then the same code with the extra link(s) and press Replace.

It does the job quite quickly. If you don't want to use frames, learn PHP or server side scripts
    - ht

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised that not a single person mentioned FrontPage's Shared Borders.

Now, I know a lot of people don't like MS and FP but if he's really just looking for something that doesn't take long to learn (none at all) and doesn't want to get into fancy programming, then this is the best thing.

What it does is you make a design or style that you want to use on the top, left, right, and bottom (or any combination of them) and it will add it to every single page. Of course, you have to use FP to do this, but it is a nice alternative to scripting.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fp was mentioned, I even told him how
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all of you for your answers, I am glad to see there are still many people out there willing to help.

Concerning the FP issue: the fact that it could be "easy" to interact with makes it interesting for me not because I don't want to learn php (I'll learn it anyway ), but because as I mention earlier the 'owners' of the site want to stick with FP2K (=they don't want to buy new software ) and they will let do the daily updates to somebody which knows nothing about web stuff, programming,etc but just learned the very basics of FP2K (=it is not the main task of this person's daily job) .

This said I have still a couple of questions concerning FP2K (I am asking this because I don't own FP2K right now). Here we go:
    [list=1][*]Are Shared Borders the same thing as the Include feature mentioned by studiococo, or are they an extra feature?[*]Does FP substitute the include content into the html documents during the publish stage, so that only static pages are kept on the server? This would be an attractive option from a security point of view.[*]Are there helpful links I can look at concerning the issue?[/list=1]

thnks
    cla313

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by htguy
    I use HomeSite from Allaire (http://www.allaire.com) and it really helps with changing small things in your website.

If you have your website in one folder you can navigate to Search then Extended Replace... and you have different options. In your situation you can just paste the menu into the top box and then the same code with the extra link(s) and press Replace.

It does the job quite quickly. If you don't want to use frames, learn PHP or server side scripts
    The only problem with this is that the if you wanted to make a new navigation button on another users machine and they didn't have HomeSite, you couldn't do it. This is a feature that is contained only in HomeSite and you would have to edit every page by hand if you didn't have the program. This feature is just the the one in Dreamweaver, but in DW they call them Library Items.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <?php require("file.php"); ?> can also be used in PHP for including a file. The virtual() function also can, but you can't include a .php file with it...so I'd recommend one of the other two.

SSI is a good start. PHP's includes works the same way, but I prefer PHP because if you decide to add, say, a hit counter, the date/time, etc, you can. If the only kind of server-side scripting you are EVER going to use is including a file for a template, then SSI works just dandy.

edit: There's also a "ghetto fabulous" way to do it. Download Edit Pad from editpadclassic.com. Open all the files you want to add a link. Go to the find and replace button. Type in, say, the HTML for the link before the one you want to add in the find area, and then type it again in the replace area, followed by the HTML for the link you want to add. Make sure it's set to cover all files, and VOILA! It's updated. Now, I would certainly recommend pretty much any other option to this one, but if you're on Geocities or some other crap like that this might be your only choice.
    Last edited by KoRnholio; Jun 14, 2001 at 11:49.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cla313
    [list=1][*]Are Shared Borders the same thing as the Include feature mentioned by studiococo, or are they an extra feature?[*]Does FP substitute the include content into the html documents during the publish stage, so that only static pages are kept on the server? This would be an attractive option from a security point of view.[*]Are there helpful links I can look at concerning the issue?[/list=1]
    1. No, Shared Borders and the Include are two different things completely.

2. FP makes the pages dynamic, by including a line of code in the head that "call" in the borders. The code looks like this:

Code:
    <meta name="Microsoft Border" content="tlrb">
    3. Here's one useful link:
    Creating Consistent Web Pages with FrontPage 2002

I realize that it's about FP2K2, but it is going to be basically about the same as with FP2K.

Hope that helps
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I have written an article describing how to use SSI for your updates. Many people have found it quite helpful on the subject and for those who want to give it a shot, this will tell you how, step-by-step...

Here's the link: http://www.woodinteractive.com/ssi_update.shtml

Hope this helps,

Steve Wood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You forgot about Virtual and also that you need includes in your Options for that directory.