User Tag List

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally! Netscape R.I.P

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010606/n05260410_2.html

Netscape will no longer be making browsers and make web developers suffer from unnecessary sleepless nights, they will be moving into the Yahoo! style portal market.

This does not mean we can start writing flaky code of course.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The browser will no longer be the focus of the company, however it will still be produced. Mainly as a media component service, but I'm fairly sure they will still produce the actual browser (why wouldn't they, it's a free push to the homepage they are "remaking").

Further, gecko is different from netscape, as is sea monkey and a variety of other "open source" NS-bases, the browser will still be around for quite some time (damn).
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about that. It sounds like they won't be developing it as a web browser any further, and most people would agree that NN6 is not going to be used much if it's not going to get any better. If Gecko still has a place as something that's going to be embraced by the public very much remains to be seen.
    What I'm wondering is if this will open a window (pun semi-intended) for Opera to gain a lot of real market share, or if the fact that the only other widely recognized name in the browser market is dropping out of the race will mean that IE is, in effect, the only browser.
    I've been using IE since v.4 but on hearing this news I downloaded Opera for the first time since v.3x and am liking it a lot. It renders much better than NN6.

On the other hand, someone here at work just sent me a site to check out. It's a graphic designer's site and is done with pop-up windows - a DW script, looks like. The pop-ups don't work in Opera. Now, it's true that what that probably means is there are problems with the script, but am I going to tell someone that I can't look at the site for them? No, I'm going to look at it with IE and report back, right? Well, that's what I did. I mentioned that the script didn't work in Opera but no one is going to care.

I'm just musing here, but I think this is more of an earthquake than it sounds like from the mild tone of the announcements.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time MS gets less competition, things will only get worse when their grasp on the Internet tightens.

More competition is always better, no matter how crappy their browsers are.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have to say i agree with Elledan here. The less browsers there are, the more of a hold on the Market IE has..
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE already got it - not much we, or even the US Government can do about that...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I think, too. I'll defend IE's "forgiving" nature, because I think it's important to remember that the browser is a consumer product at the end of the day and it only makes sense from a marketing standpoint to give users the easiest ride possible. But, I think that if IE is the only browser, it doesn't bode well for lots of things besides design standards. I feel certain that this latest development is the result of a deal of some kind between Microsoft and AOL and that what they want in the long term is more control over users and the content that's fed to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NWO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a couple past articles that'll make you wonder..

Netscape Co-Founder Wants IE To Stay With Windows
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...44&mode=thread

"MSNBC reports that AOL6.0 will be bundled with Windows XP and given prominent placement on the desktop in exchange for exclusive Internet Explorer support. They're also talking about making Windows Media Player the exclusive player for AOL. No monopoly here... keep moving along..." What about MSN? Mozilla? "If AOL isn't going to switch to a new Netscape or Mozilla browser to base their client upon, what happens to Netscape?" http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...30&mode=thread
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not like IE has forced others out of the market through unfair competition guys. All someone needs to do is make a browser the people want, with implementation the developers are happy with.

IE is the closest we have to that, plain and simple.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Studio, I mostly agree with you. Mostly..when IE was a terrible browser it was still there on every Windows desktop, and I don't think it made all that much difference that it wasn't part of the operating system at that time. All browsers were thin clients and they loaded up quickly anyway. Loads of people went to the trouble of downloading Netscape 1, 2 and 3 because it was a much better browsing experience. IE only took over the market when that wasn't true any longer. Of course, how it came to that Windows is so prevelant is another court case altogether.

I'm just bothered by the thought of one huge company having such complete and total control over the web experience, especially if they're doing deals or having "understandings" with AOL, which is its own kind of evil.

On the other hand I gave Opera a nice workout this morning and just like the 3x version, it crashed on things that didn't bother IE. That doesn't bode well for it coming into more general popularity.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is saddening.
    I don't mean the news that Netscape is dead, but the fact that many think it's great.

Keep in mind that the plan in Windows XP is to bundle the OS with so many default programs that it becomes hard to install a competitor's product. So if there's not even a viable competitor on a market, MS wins the market thanks to its default programs (MediaPlayer, etc).

So, as fast as we'll begin to see more and more IE-specific content and plugins, we'll see an OS-specific Internet. Which means of course MSWindows.

What about alternatives ? Do you people HATE having the right to choose what you're using ?
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shin Ma, the ideal situation for (dumb) customers and webdevelopers would be one internet, with everyone using the same OS, the same browser, the same media-player. Everyone would have the same hardware, since there would be only one producer of soundcards, videocards, motherboards etc.

Ideal for them, but a nightmare for everyone else. IMHO, MS has already a much too large part of the OS and browser market in its grasp. I really hope that some company/companies will soon take back some of the market, so that there'll be at least some competition. Just like what happened to Intel, after AMD brought out its K7 processor.

In the end, the customer will always benefit from competition.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have ie for UNIX: here

Don't forget Konqueror (one of the best! it rocks!), Opera (okay... very similar to Konqueror), Mozilla and clones (some of them for linux are quite good), or MacWeb (not named that, but something like it... it's german, awesome, fast, and efficient).

Anyway, competition is still there, just not very big (right now anyway).

Owen

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have ported (badly) the code of IE 5 to Unix for the sole purpose of saying they have a cross-platform product. As far as I know, no further development has been made on this beta release since it's been out (and it's been out for months).

Ah, being a sheep is bliss - Bill, be my shepherd.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    Every time MS gets less competition, things will only get worse when their grasp on the Internet tightens.

More competition is always better, no matter how crappy their browsers are.
    Agreed. If there was some real competition here, the two competitors would definately be better than the one competitor we have now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MacWeb (not named that, but something like it... it's german, awesome, fast, and efficient).
    I think iCab is the one you mean.

I too believe there should be copetition in the browser market, but Netscape is so bloody dreadful. Lets hope Opera rises to the challenge.
    ...KartLink...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscap is definately not dead at all.

Check my other post in the
    "Open the Champane(sp)" topic.