SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP:Accessing my local Apache server online???

Hello,
    I am in need of some help regarding what I thought was going to be a simple task. I've tried to find answers online but either they don't work or they seem a bit confusing. So I have a domain name registered and I have hosting for it. The problem is that they do not support some of the functions I am in need of. So I have set up an apache server locally on my computer. What I want to do now is take the files I have on my local machine (C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs) and have them accessible online to other users. So when other people access my site (http://www.myregistereddomainname.com) they will be able to view it. Can someone please let me know if I am on the right track, or what I have to do to be able to do this. This is how I have configured my 'httpd.conf' file so far and it is not working for me yet.

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost IPADDRESS(ofDNS):80>
    ServerName subdomain.DNS.com
    ServerAdmin admin@DNS.com
    DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache/Group Apache2/htdocs/"
    </VirtualHost>

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may not be the answer you need but.

If your only hosting one domain. You might just be able to put all your files in your htdocs folder http://www.localhost.com and see the results.

Now since you don't have any name servers set up your going to need to set up your own or use someone elses. Or you may just want to use domain forwarding which may be a service provided by your domain registrar. Or perhaps your domain registrar also has the capabilities to allow you to use their name servers.

If you can see whats on your local computer using localhost, can access your machine from another computer using your IP address (I hope its static) then the last thing you need to do is figure out is how you want to handle your name servers and you should be most of the way there.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I've got most of it figured out now. The code I had was pretty much right. Not sure if it made a difference but I took out the * in the NameVirtualHost line. I then disabled my firewall and allowed for port forwarding of a web server (an option through the security features of windows xp sp2). Now I can access it online through the IP of my machine. But I don't think I can have a url from my DNS be forwarding to the content displayed through my IP. At least not for free. I think they charge a small price to do that. And it would probably take too long. I need things running asap, even if things are just running to my IP. So there isn't another way of having my local files accessible through my registered domain name? (besides having my hosting company do it for me) Thanks again.
    J