SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web site/server won't respond 100% of the time.

I run my server from home - Apache/OSX. It has the occasional problem of not serving a requested page. The major problem with this is the osCommerce shopping cart. In order for a cc payment to be processed, the customer is briefly taken away from my site to the payment gateway. As soon as the payment is authorized, the gateway immediately sends them back to my site where the 'order confirmation' page should be loaded. All too often though, my site won't respond to this request for the 'order confirmation' page, and it messes up the entire order.

I don't know if this is an Apache or an ISP problem, but I've searched for answers to no avail. It's not just the 'order confirmation' page of my store that the problem happens with - it's any page at any (seemingly) random time.
    ~Dorian

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest that you just rent a server and not run it from your home!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly what I've been thinking. I've been all over SPF today trying to learn about outside hosting and it's extremely overwhelming... frustrating. SPF turned an entire topic over to TopHosts.com and that has added to the confusion.

How do I know what I need in a host? If I have an osCommerce shopping cart, then do I need a host that offers osCommerce, or will a host that offers MySQL suffice? Since everything I have now is on Unix (OS X), does that mean I need a Unix/Linux host? Or will everything be the same if I get a Windows host? Right now I have 10 different domain names that all go to the same site. Does this mean I need 10 different hosting packages if I want them to still go to the same site? I've read some good things about RealWebHosting (some very good things), but then why can't I find any info about them on TopHosts.com?

This hosting stuff is confusing . I had an easier time shopping for my last car!
    ~Dorian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're going to want a reseller account on a linux server. Some hosts actually don't allow certain scripts, such as OScommerce, so check with the host before ordering.

What kind of budget did you have in mind for hosting? I can personally recommend InsiderHosting.com, I've worked with them a lot and their service is top notch.

As per your original question, this may very well be a probem with your ISP. I don't think your webserver would drop connections, unless it was set up drastically wrong.

Any type of site where items are sold though, I'd always recommend a real web host. I wouldn't trust my personal webserver for that.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I went with HostGator. They had a perfect package.
    ~Dorian