SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please give feedback on first site

After being given very expensive quotes for a non-dynamic ecommerce site, I decided to take on the job myself, and make it dynamic. This is my first attempt at web design so I am sure I have broken loads of basic rules trying to get this working.

I've spent about a month on this, and although functional and visually okay, I'm not happy. I've hit a bit of a road block with my creative side and a little burned out from learning code. Can anyone please give me some feedback? Be as brutal as you want.

I realise some of the pages are inconsistent, this is due to learning as I go and changing things around. I started out trying CSS to lay things out and messed everything up and now have used tables to try and organise my content.

www.atthenet.co.uk

Thanks everyone!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi baperrou,

A great effort on your first attempt!

I would give you the following advice: Try to 'bring the design together' a little by perhaps using some subtle lines to divide up the menu from the text, and the top area from the bottom etc.

Also, it might be worthwhile to use different font sizes and consider emboldening titles etc as some of the headers get a little lost amongst the body text.

I love the illustration at the top and the overall structure is really good for a first shot. good job!

E

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks E! I appreciate it. I was thinking along the same lines. I am trying to map out a style sheet right now to make all headers and body text consistent. I was also thinking about borders but just didn't have much luck figuring out how to put a single line down my left menu... because I've used 10 cells in a table I get a break in the line at every cell, would this be b/c of my padding?? Sorry didn't mean to get into a techincal discussion.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good start :-)
    Make sure you give your body a background color (I'm seeing default pink bg in my browser There is nothing wrong with using tables by the way. As long as you don't nest the tables too deeply and use plenty of css for styling the elements on your page, you should be happy. Only progress to full css layout when you are comfortable with doing so.

I would also break up some of the sections with divider lines.

eg: give some of your cells a border on one side

eg: .maincell {border-right: 1px solid #000;}
    eg: .maincell {border-bottom: 1px solid #000;}

and apply the style to a particular cell

Good Luck and keep learning, you'll get there in the end .
    but then again, there is always something new to learn even for those of us who have been doing this for years :-)

Nadia

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nadia. Good feedback. I will try to divide my pages up a bit more to make them easier to read, and you are right, I haven't specified a default background color, will sort that too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice first Effort! I love the banner. It is very unique.

I agree with the comments mentioned above. Also, the links below the banner need to be positioned closer together. May want to create some nice buttons. It is easier than you think it might be and if you were able to create this website, you would be able to create some basic rollover buttons. Check out the Graphics Tutorial Thread.
    Sara

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not the right place : you have to post here after reviewing three other sites: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the wrong posting, I found the review section after I listed this.

Thanks for all of the feedback... I will now contribute my share.