SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm completly lost, please help me!

As you should understand (by the title),
    I'm completly lost. Lost with building my site. I'm having so much problems with it!, here is a few list

1> I can't upload scripts, like snitz forums ,...... ( i dunno why, everytime i try to upload, "the page wasn't find", and it's putting me on nerves.

2> My main problem is that the contents on my site is all messed up, by using layers. It just changes place everytime, and it's a real market place. I can't use tables because i need to put images over images or text over images, and with tables, it isn't possible ( please check my previous thread for more info)

3> I'm thinking of my futur updating my site, and i've seen that it will be a real pain, refreshing and uploading 14 pages weekly!, a real FUlL-TIME-JOB !, i've also downloaded some "BAD" CMS, which didn't help me AT ALL, i couldn't even upload them! please tell me some CMS. But a special one i need (I know it's not the place to post about CMS, but it's part of my problems). I only need to change text, not a big deal. I must also change some <HTML> code (poll) and add some fresh news weekly! PLease tell me what to do!

4> We're paying 150$/month for internet, and here in Mauritius, money doesn't appear underneath a rock (i suppose it is easier in America ) I spend time looking for scripts CMS, and for NOTHING!, cause i never find the one i need, please tell me one CMS. My dad says that he will cut my internet connection! i will DIE!, what must i do?, and i suppose refreshing my site every week during one month would be another 200$ connection!, oh,......

5> to have some money, i thought of selling the only thing i had, the domain areacool.com . And now people are telling me it doesn't worth a CENT !, Whoaw, so many bad news around here!,

Now you know a bit of my "depression", and please help me, in any kind, but HELP ME

Brian
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a deep breath! :)

Let me see if I can help you out with a few problems here:

1) I would advise not starting a message board/forum until you have some decent traffic to your site. Instead you could start out with some free, remotely hosted scripts from a site like Bravenet.com. They have a basic message board you can use and most of the things they offer are free.

2) I'm not sure how to help you out on this one, since I dont use DreamWeaver, but you could try downloading a free trial of PaintShop Pro and creating your website layout entirely in it, and then cutting it up into smaller, seperate images, and putting those into tables so that your site comes up just as you've designed it.

3) 14 pages on your site already? Maybe you should start out smaller so you won't have so much of a workload. If the site takes off and is very popular, then you can recruit some people to help you with it so you wont have quite so much to handle.

4) I'm not sure what CMS refers to, but you can download a lot of internet pages and view them as offline content, so you can read them and not be connected to the internet and paying per unit charges. This is great for tutorials sites like htmlgoodies.com and such.

5) $150/month is an astounding amount to pay for internet access! I dont know if there are any free internet service providers in your country, but you might want to run a check on ask.com and see. They'll give you a certain amount of internet time (~40 hours) in exchange for placing a banner on your screen while you surf.

Good luck, hope this helps .
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,
    First off keep your dad happy, get the bill down!
    You need to have a long hard think about what you want to do, don't just rush in and install every new script you come across coz you think it's cool, it'll end in tears (probably already has)
    Why not just leave it as it is for a month (that'll get the bill down) and download something like MyPHPNuke, I think it'll suit your site well.
    Now start hacking and customising it and testing it locally
    When you've got it how you want (that'll be next month) delete your old site and upload the new one.
    We've all got to walk before we run (I'm still walking) and it'll be good practice with PHP/MySQL
    DCE
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah.
    I would suggest you start small.

only when your visitors/members increase do you start expanding your site.

start off with a low cost web hosting plan. see the hostrocket? its fairly reasonable.

you get the point here do you?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,
    I took the liberty of checking out you ISP options in Mauritius, not much of a choice, one to be precise (don't ya just love monopolies?)
    How much time are you spending online? Looking at their tariffs, it appears you get 30hrs a month for about US$21
    So with a choice of one you've goto somehow cut down, or be cut down (to zero, by your dad)
    DCE
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yicks. that kinda sucks. are you still schooling btw?
    that might be why your dad's angry. (same reason as mine)

but i've advanced to another level of education and hence my dad's relaxed. afterall, i'm on dsl unlimited connection now. but heck, i'm still paying for it.

in anyway, are you profiting from your venture? if so, don't think why your dad would get angry over. (unless you do badly in grades)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok,
    i'll try to answer some questions,

first of all, DCE and Sparkie told me to start making my web site with some free remotly hosted stuff, with a very FEW pages. I'll ask you a question. How can a site have many visitors daily ?
    answer : Because of the content!,
    so, if i start to make a small site, with free limited content remotly hosted, and with a very FEW pages, i DOUBT that i would get traffic! , and guess what, a visitor who went to areacool.com and saw Free limited contents, i REALLY don't think he'll come back, and finish, one visitor lost. that's the reason why i wanted to do all ONE SHOT, maybe that's the solution, or maybe not

and yes, i'm still having school, form 4, and i'm 15 years old. If ever my dad break the internet connection, i'll die, and nothing else. when i come back from school, i go on my pc until 7 oclock, then TRY to work ( impossible, cannot concentrate) , and then at 8.00 , i look at "F-R-I-E-N-D-S"
    These are my daily activities, bad isn't it

CMS refers to content management system.

Please i really don't want those CMS that you put the latest news on ONE SPECIFIQUE page, (news.php ), i need to put it inside other pages. I'll try PhpNuke, and i'll get back some info to you

Brian
    Ps: Any reply about the domain areacool.com ?
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Brian...first thing is you need to relax. You're stressing me out just from reading your post.

1) You CANNOT expect to get TONS of visitors to your site right away. No matter whether you offer free content or not.

The point we are trying to make to you is that you cannot just jump in and expect to have your website become a success overnight. It takes time and effort on your part. Yes, it also takes money. IF you don't have those things, then maybe running a website is not the right thing for you.

2) Your best bet would be to take your site down from the internet. It has no business being online until it's done. Done is of course a relative term, but you need to avoid putting your site online in an unfinished state. Just use a package such as NuSphere (www.nusphere.com) and build your site on your computer. Then when it's ready, upload it and test it.

Not only have you saved yourself time, but you have also saved money because you were not connected to the internet while building your site.

3) Others have said start small. But 14 pages is not that much. Keep in mind that you will not be updating ALL of those pages every day will you? I don't think so.

If you will, then perhaps you should learn how to use Server Side Includes (SSI). That would streamline the process of updating your site and save you time and money. But, like I said before, if you don't want to spend the time doing the work, then maybe the website business is not for you.

I just took a look at your site. It's not bad. It needs some major work, but the basic design looks pretty nice. My suggestion to you is to take what you have learned and start from scratch. Learn HTML FIRST, learn how to use Dreamweaver to it's full potential FIRST, learn how to use Fireworks or Photoshop FIRST. Then and only then should you begin to build a website.

If you follow that path you will save yourself MUCH time and headaches. You will also be surprised at the amount of information you know about web design. Soon you will be here answering other peoples questions.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only comment here is that you don't need a CMS and that real (as you seem to be talking) CMS systems are 50K+.

I'm sure there are probably smaller ones, and good on them, but the very nature of CMS software means it's quite a huge endeavour with content management, approval, site and user tracking and purchasing, subscription/notification software, auto-archiving, etc.

We're just about to purchase Commerce Server 2000 here AT DISCOUNT for 20K to give you an idea of the level of this class of software.

If you just want a website ADMIN system, write it yourself in php, it's simple select, insert, delete commands. Besides, it'll be a good learning experience.

Anyways, good luck with everything, but basically taking a deep breath and calming down will help you immensely. I also agree with the benefits of hosting locally and uploading when need be.

Also, QUALITY NOT QUANTITY is something you NEED to keep in mind. Lots of crap contentn doesn't attract visitors. (3 steps to a truly succesful website: attract, keep, make'm come back). Good content makes them come and stay. When you ADD to that content it makes them come back. It's a simple format that few sites follow. (mine included, I'm really trying to change that though).
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you Brian, content is definitely what people are after, but I would suggest starting small with scripts, not content. There are loads of free online games, message boards, guestbooks, polls, etc. for sites just like yours. That builds interaction, and people love ways to pass time on the internet

You might want to ask other teen-site webmasters what sites they've found useful (for scripts, ideas, and so on) and you can spend your time concentrating on their suggestions. I'm sure if you search through our Scripts and Online Services forum, you can find some tried-and-true programs to help you out first.

I dont think you should sell areacool, I think it has a lot of potential, especially as a site "by teens, for teens".
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!