SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newb Can't Get A Button On Website

Real new to this stuff but I'm trying my best. I made a button using XP Web button and saved it as .html. It was that or the .xbl format. The button I believe is three gifs in one, so to speak.

So I've got this html file (my button) and tested it in my browser, open file -> 'mybutton.html, and it loaded perfect. What I don't know how to do is upload the button to my website...so it works there.

I'm used to adding gif and jpg images individually to my public_html/images directory. I can export these three gifs so they are individual but there goes my button I think. I don't even know if this post makes sense...I'm trying to be resourceful but a little support from somebody would be great. As you can tell, I'm striking out here big time but it can't be that hard I know that.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    right click on the button on your mybutton.html see if u can find "save image as..." can u post the HTML code of the page? so that it will be more clear ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I right clicked the image and there was my answer! I was confused between the gif and html and what did what and how...

What I did if anybody has this problem in the future:

1) I created a button using XP Web Buttons. I had two ways to save it. HTML or a proprietary format like xwb or something.
    2) The button I created was saved in a folder called 1.html. That originally confused me because I thought the button would save as an individual gif or jpg.
    3) The 1.html folder contained three gifs. 1.gif 2.gif and 3.gif.
    4) I was editing a regular php file on my website. Could be any flle I suppose. What I do is click a little picture of a camera and browse for the file. It only wanted gifs and jpgs.
    5) But I created the button and saved it as html!
    6) I didn't know what to do and tried various combos and nothing worked.
    7) What I did was go in Firefox (could be IE though) and click open file on the top left and opened the 1.html file to see how it loaded. Which it did perfectly. I right-clicked the file. Turned out the first of the three gifs was the img src.
    8) The KEY was to ftp my 1.html folder to my website.

Sometimes you don't have to do much to help somebody out. You got me going here. Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i suggest you use a real graphic designing software i.e. photoshop or fireworks. doesnt really matter what you use as long as you can export it to .gif or .jpg. then when you want to use it as a button, you use the input tag like so:

<input type="image" src="myimg.gif" name="image">

the default action is submit. in other words, if you don't add a javascript action to it, then it will be a submit button by default.