SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do I use MySQL?

I've installed mysql and everthing seems to be working. My problem is that I am first learning this program and all the tutorials I see seem to make me understand that I need to talk to mysql with a command prompt, like a dos prompt.??

Is this true and how do I do this?

I am very new to this. Sorry!

My version is phpdev 3.23.

Marc
    I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out kevin yank's tutorial on PHP and mySQL, its very useful. Also, if you want to access MySQL from the command line, go 2 your phpdev folder, go into the mysql folder, than look for a folder called bin. go in there, and open up mysql.exe (after starting up the server, obviously).

NOTE: This is just a very basic method of using mysql, which is usually used for learning, and sometimes administration. As I said, check out Kevin Yank's tutorial on it to learn how to make it useful...

Good Luck!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I need to talk to mysql with a command prompt, like a dos prompt.??
    Yes, you need to communicate with mysql from the "command line" which is a "dos prompt". Click on Start/Programs/MS-DOS prompt.
    how do I do this?
    Well, if we could just type in sentences telling programs like mysql what to do in plain words, all the English majors would be programming geniuses. Sadly, that is not the case, so you have to buy a book that tells you what commands do what, or you study an online tutorial.
    Last edited by 7stud; Jun 6, 2001 at 04:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you such a jerk to everybody? I don't think I've seen you say one nice thing.
    Kevin

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    Why are you such a jerk to everybody? I don't think I've seen you say one nice thing.
    I assume you're talking about 7stud. I don't quite see how anything he said could have come off as offensive or mean. What else was he supposed to say in his second paragraph?

Now, back on topic. If you want a graphical interface to mySQL, you can get one at http://www.mysql.com/downloads/gui-clients.html . I haven't used any of those personally, but I've heard very good things about them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to drag this back OT but yes I was talking to 7Stud. He didn't say anything in particular but the tone of his posts have a bite to them that I don't really care for.
    Kevin