SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Including Font with Page?

I want to use a specific font on my page. I heard that there was a way in Internet Explorer to send the font along with the page. I'm interested in wether anyone has used this before. I'm also interested in wether the font has to be specifically designed to support this or if I can use any font on my computer (what about copyright issues - I'd like to use an Adobe font that I had to buy rights to).

Also, does Netscape6 support this?

Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there is a way, but trust me IT IS NOT WORTH IT!

www.microsoft.com/typography has the WEFT engine...

I used it a while back and was convinced it was a great idea with absolutely crap implementation. A friend saw the new version and concurred.

I mean, feel free to try it out.

There are other solutions such as Flash or graphix both of which won't really work for setting all the type on an entire site. Other ways include activex controls (won't work on NS), php encoding/decoding/installing and there is a way in asp to do what php does but it's even worse.

Basically, if users don't have your font, let them install it.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape (I dont know about version 6) also has a way to implement fonts, but it is completely different that Internet Explorer's WEFT engine.

Personally, I think that if you want users to see the font you've included on your page, consider making the text into some small JPEG files and then optimize them with jpegwizard.com . Just a suggestion.

Good luck
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Essentially, all font embedding is not at the stage of being "worth it".
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'll take your word for it. Thanks.

I'm doing this for a series on menus on my page and the person who did the layout is a Graphic Arts designer who's *very* picky about things looking exactly the way they were designed.

I'll use images =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hold the horses prowse...

One thing that you need to talk to this designer about is file size. If he is your typical Print designer, then all he cares about is making the finished product look identical to his original design. With the web, it very rarely works like that, especially if the designer is not taking the web into account to begin with.

You need to discuss file size issues with him, as well as download times, making EVERYTHING an image, even totally blank spaces of solid color.

All I'm saying is to be careful. Don't let him control the design when it comes to the speediness of a webpage.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The page is currently 50KB. I figure that the average user will download at around 5KB/sec (that's what I got when I used to use a 33.6k modem, I'm on cable now and blissfully unaware of file size =) and so loading the first page will take 10 seconds which is OK, right? What's generally accepted for a file size?

He is a lot more on the 'typical designer' end of things than I am (I have learned not to mind my page looking and acting differently on different browsers) but then again I started design from a web end and not from a graphics end. I learned HTML before Pagemaker/Illustrator which I think makes a great difference.

It also makes me look at things differently - I had always used Microsoft-style text-based menus (when I made http://www.n-sider.com I *really* made them Microsoft style even using Microsoft's IE-only menu script that was on MSDN) and I had to use a different script for ones that would accept images, etc.

BTW, thanks for getting my name right - that scores big points with me. =) Everyone else writes my name 'prouse' (any idea why people would confuse w with u?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because they're stupid/blind?

Anyway, is the whole page 50k or just the HTML? Were you referring to the entire shebang, images AND code?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back and realized that that figure is actually far off. What I did to get that figure is select 'save page as single file' in Internet Explorer. I didn't realize that it does a really shoddy job of figuring which files to save. For example, if I use style="background-image:url('filename')" (I think that's the code, all I mean is referencing an image as a background through a stylesheet) then internet explorer doesn't read that and save it with the file.

Anyways, that's usually been the way that I've measured the file size of my complete pages, but now that I'm usign CSS more I realize that it isn't accurate. My page is larger than 50K and I have some optomizing to do.

Generally, though, what is considered a good file size considering that all of my images are at the very top of my page, so users will definently notice when the pictures are loading? Here is a demo of my very incomplete only-works-in-IE-at-the-moment page: http://rideau.prowsej.com/RHS0.4/main/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It loaded for me in about 5 seconds on a cable modem. I just tried that page on Website Garage. Here is the results.

http://websitegarage.netscape.com/O=...F&istate=start

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a neat web site you've got there. Nonetheless, the results from it are highly misleading sicne the actual web page is about three times that size - a large part of the page comes from the images that are loaded for the menus. Since they're loaded from the Javascript files, websitegarage doesn't pick them up. Also, like IE it doesn't pick up images referenced from the URL attricute of CSS files.

I've basically abandoned support for version 3 browsers as well as Netscape 4 (I want the page to work in all browsers ... even Lynx, but I don't care if browsers other than Netscape6/IE4+ lose features, yes, that means I don't do any testing on Opera, but I have yet to see enough users hit any of my sites with Opera to make it worthwhile to consider them ... however after basic functionality is established across the board I have no problem with 'advanced' features only working on select browsers, like the menus might be IE-only if I don't have time to work out why they're not working in Netscape)