SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ImageMagick with PHP

OK ImageMagick, great command line program that is very powerful. I am trying to use it, and becoming very frustrated.

First, because PHP does not run as my account, nor does it run as a user who has permission to modify my files, I cant use ImageMagick to modify files in my home directory or any branch of it.

So I decided, ok I'll copy the files to /tmp, and then I'll be able to edit them, and THEN ill copy the file from /tmp to my home directory (upload>tmp>imagemagick>mydirectory). Now isnt that a wonderful idea? But its not working.

Does anyone have experience using ImageMagick and run into this type of problem? Anyone with ideas what to do to be able to use it?
    -Jordan

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to change your directory's permissions to allow your web server to write to files in it.

chmod 777 dirname
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dir is already CHMOD 777. The problem is PHP runs as the user nobody and the user nobody doesnt have permission to modify the files in my directories.
    -Jordan

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm... I would say, and I am not bad-mouthing any hosts out there, but it seems pretty silly to me that they have ImageMagick installed on the server, with no way to use it. I might think about changing servers.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what I thought, they told me before that ImageMagick was installed but also that they dont use it so they cant help me with figuring out how to use it. I really like the host but lately theyve been screwing up (I bet a lot of people know who I'm talking about but I'm not going to give the name)
    -Jordan