SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please Help (server software dealing with Linux and Win98)

Hi,

I currently have setup my comp as a dual boot system with linux-mandrake 8.0 and windows 98.

I have three seperate partitions on my hard drive; one for linux, one for widows and the other one is for my localhost.

Now what I am wanting to do is be able to run Apache, an FTP server and a Hotline server on both windows and linux. I want them to refer to the same "www" directory off of my localhost partition, so that when someone uploads something through Hotline, it will show up on Apache and FTP.

How can I do this? I realize that I will have to have Hotline, an FTP server and Apache installed on windows 98 and Hotline, but how would I get all three of those servers to point to the exact "www" folder off of my localhost partition, for each OS, when they are running?

I am wanting to be able to use Win98 or Linux when running apache, FTP or Hotline, and have them deal with the exact same folder. That way I don't have to worry about transfering files to different folders for different types of servers.

Thanks!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your WWW partition is formatted as FAT then you can access it in Windows 98 natively and using the mount command in Linux do the same.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it is in FAT32 format. I don't have any problems accessing that partition in windows or linux, I just don't know how to make it so that all those programs can use the same folder.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you need to do is set up Apache, your FTP program, and Hotline to use the same directories. For example, if it is your e:\ drive in Windows, set Apache, Hotline, and your FTP program to host the e:\ drive. In Linux, set the same drive (which may have a different letter) to do the same.

If FTP, Apache, and Hotline are sharing the same directory, changes will be updated across all three instantly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh okay, then it must be a variable in the FTP server and Apache.

I've been looking for an option in Hotline to what folder to use, but I can't find it.

Does anyone know how I can change it in Hotline for the PC?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always dragged from the host to my hard drive, choosing the directory of course. I am not sure about the server though, but I think you already had that set up, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally figured it out.

All I had to do was create shortcuts to my localhost partition in the Hotline Server directory.

Anyway, I got Apache (with php and mysql), an FTP server and a Hotline server all working to how I wanted it in Windows. Now I just have to get it working in Linux (the fun part).

Thanks for your help!