SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way of counting hits

I'm wondering what the best way to count hits on a website is.
    Up until now I've simply used a update query on a mysql db to count hits, but I'm feeling this might be the wrong approach.

I'm currenty developing an internet portal witch is estemated to generate about 100 000 hits\month within a short period of time.
    I'm using php to generate every html page on the site so that there dosen't have to be several request to the database for each page request.

So there's going to be quite a few html pages, what would be the best way of counting hits on each and every one of these pages?

I'm thankful for all input regarding counting hits and the way of generating the html pages (is this a good approach?)

Sell crazy someplace else markl999's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally i'd use something like AWStats for this or some other log file analyser. It's not really PHP's job to count hits and it can get icky counting unique hits etc and the counting of hits will only slow your pages down. Course, this presumes you have access to the log files

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want to count the clicks on every single generated page, or every click is going to be a counter iterator?

If the latest, just use a single simple text file incrementing on each new page generation

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is opening, edeting and closing a txt file mutch more efficient then to do a update mysql query?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it is more efficient, but I've never had a problem with it. It's been reliable, and speedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would suggest you using txt file rather than database.

much more faster ( i think, given my knowlegde)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping in mind that neither opening a textfile, nor selecting a single, updated SQL field is a really intensive task, I think you should really put your focus on other things for optimizing
    You'll have serious issues even getting a time for these tasks (try microtime ) so it doesn't really matter how you do it.

Bobbi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would use a database. Easier to query and compare results against one another I feel.