Thread: Cache issue

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cache issue

Hi,

I'm working on a website, each page has the same layout and graphics. This problem is, even when the site is updated it still pulls the old files unless you press "refresh", then the site will update with the right images and html files.

Is there anyway to make it not cache all the files?
    I don't really mind it no cacheing, because it's a small site but it gets updated almost everyday.

Anyone help me out?

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deano (I trust you don't object to being called Deano by a fellow Aussie? ),

That's not an issue with your host, but your browser. Currently from the way it sounds, your browser (IE? ) is set to use the cached images (so that the site loads faster) and you have to click 'Refresh' in order to force the browser to load the latest version of the site (with all the images you've just uploaded).

To fix this rather annoying problem :

1. Go to Tools --> Internet Options
    2. Under 'Temporary Internet Files' (you should see it in the middle of the grey box straight away) click on 'Settings'.
    3. You'll see 'Check for newer version of stored pages'. Change it to the option you prefer (in this case, 'Automatically' or 'Every visit to the page').

Exit and save

If it still doesn't solve it then it probably means your ISP is using a proxy server and you're stuck with it

Hope this helps.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BC,

Deano is fine. I was called that back in school, and some other names along with it

It must be my host then, because I have those setting you have just repled with. Only time will tell I guess.

The site im talking about is in my sig. vbulletin one. (sorry, trying not to spam )

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you may be able to use http-equiv

the meta tag <meta http=equiv> might help. you can send tags that tell the browser not to cache. i'm not sure of them offhand, but i do remember seeing a list somewhere, maybe webmonkey.