SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Questions regarding ASP

Dear fellow SPF Members,

I'm currently working on a research paper for a Java class I am taking. We were allowed to choose for around 10 different languages. I was hoping to get PHP but someone else grabbed it before I even received the assignment sheet. After reviewing the available languages, I realized that there were really no good ones left. I then asked my teacher if I could write my paper on ASP because of the fact I know ASP is infact a language still used today.

So here I am! I have to write a paper on ASP for Friday. I searched google & read the stickied posts in this forum but I couldn't find any general information regarding ASP.

I have a few general questions that I would like to have answers for before I read in depth articles about ASP.

Can ASP be used with HTML? On the same note, can it be used without HTML?

What is ASP used for? Does it basicly do the same thing PHP does?

Is ASP used with databases? SQL?

Why would someone use ASP?

And lastly, is there anything important I should know about ASP? I was looking on Microsoft's site trying to find information regarding its release date and general stuff but I couldn't find anything.

I do realize I am asking for a lot of help so please if you are a patient/helpful person, no need to respond. I have already done my fair share of research and it would be nice to hear from a ASP developer's point of few.

Thanks a lot!

SitePoint Enthusiast team_ecommerce's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - HTML pages are static - they never change output unless you manually edit the source, ASP pages as dynamically outputting HTML pages. You make use of ASP to generate a customized HTML page depending on use input or parameters passed to it.
    - You need to use ASP to connect to a database such as SQL, something you cannot do with HTML alone.
    - PHP is another scripting language like ASP. If you 're a Windows developer you'd be better using ASP. PHP is a strong scripting choice for Linux users.

Try asp101.com, 4guysfromrolla.com, 15seconds.com or w3schools.com for tons of useful materials. Print the example codes and read'em during your smoke break!

Goodluck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can ASP be used with HTML? YES

<html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>

<%
    ' this is asp code
    ' write to the screen hi

Response.Write "hi"
    %>

</body>
    </html>

On the same note, can it be used without HTML? YES

<%
    ' opening a database connection
    %>

What is ASP used for?
    - Adding dynamic capabilities to static html
    -

Does it basicly do the same thing PHP does?YES

Is ASP used with databases? SQL? YES

Creating interactive web pages and connecting to dbs

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give ya my $0.2

Can ASP be used with HTML? On the same note, can it be used without HTML?
    As everyone else has said, ASP can be used with HTML pages, however, the extension changes (.asp) and the processing of the ASP is handled different from a HTML page. ASP is know as a scripting langage, like PHP, and is interpetated on the server, and the resulting data is returned. The resulting data could be HTML, an image, CSS file, Javascript file, XML, etc. So the second question is yes, it can be used without HTML.

What is ASP used for? Does it basicly do the same thing PHP does?
    ASP is used for a number of things. The main being the ability to add a dynamic element to websites. This can be simply recording what a user submits in a contact us form, to a full e-commerce site wth secure payments, shopping cart, etc.

Basically, it does everything PHP can do.

Is ASP used with databases? SQL?
    ASP can use a number of databases, SQL Server, Access, MySQL, etc. For anything not MS, you will need to get the drivers for the database installed on the server. However, once this is done, its veyr easy to use any other database. However, none offer the same performance as using ASP/ASP.NET with SQL Server.

ASP is a quick and easy way to introduce dynamic elements to a web site. With the advent and rising popularity of ASP.NET, ASP hosting costs have fallen (not as cheap as LAMP tho...). It's easy to get to up to speed with, and there are plenty of websites out there with buckets of information and resources.

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refer to the "Important ASP Resources" thread for a great list of ASP related sites:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48786

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot for the long answers dhtmlgod.