Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We frikin RULED dude!

What went wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We frikin did! All them nambi pamby Liberals giving our birth right away, how could they!!

Have you seen Eddie Izzards flag routein? Laughed so much it hurt for a week!! Sums it nicely though

But this is our Country!

Do you have Flaag?

No

Ahha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets not get into a debate on which empire was the greatest!!

It would be a very pointless argument and about as boring as the arguments im sure we all had at primary school about "my daddy can jump higher than your daddy"
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Mine can jump higher than yours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...my cousins are in the army ...

NO Flag, NO Country!

Cake or Death...

I heard they are giving Gibraltar back to Spain? - is that true? (- Nicky?)
    Last edited by z7; Jun 13, 2001 at 02:45.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sowen
    But Mine can jump higher than yours
    Yeah but mine can jump off a higher roof!!
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Drinky

You don't need the MHz unless you want to do real time editing, which is what discreet's products let you do. What you do need is massive ammounts of RAM and storage, plus ton's of bandwidth between capture device/digitizer ram and disks. If you want to work with uncompressed video, that is.
    Although video editing is quite different to film. With film, you do an offline edit, and if you've ever seen somebody cutting something on computer you'll notice that what shows on screen is a low res video transfer of the film, with timecode burnt on and everything

Real time editing is a concept I'm only familiar with in video. For film, every digital effect is rendered and printed onto actual film. Do you have info on any films that are edited online? I'd be interested to know.

Recently, however, there have been a number of films that have been almost entirely created on video (shrek, toy story1+2, the phantom menace). I don't know much about what systems this would use, but probably large networks of SGI origins, rendering throughout the night I'd guess.

Also, surprisingly enough, a number of big-name movies are edited using the old fashion snip and splice. 12 monkeys was edited in an entirely digital-free manner.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 16, 2001 at 10:28.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog · Twitter · Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework · Jokes · Android stuff

SitePoint Enthusiast studio1acom's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Burn Hollywood Burn

Originally posted by z7
    I was wondering what people thought about Hollywoods portrayal of us Brits and its blaring errors in Historical fact in films such as Titanic, U-751, The Patriot, etc...
    Your forgetting whom these films main market is...AMERICANS. That's whom Hollywood aims most of their movies at. So logically, they will favor Americans. Sure almost all of them will be released worldwide, and they also make a ton of money over there, but American is typically the primary audience. And when they are released worldwide, sometimes parts of the film are re-edited or removed for the new audience, example Pearl Harbor for its release in Japan.

And when you directly refer to 'The Patriot', that mediocre piece of filmmaking it is, who's Revolutionary War was it? The Americans. And when you get down to the bare basics of most storylines there is A) a bad guy and B) a good guy, the hero. And in this case the bad guy was....The British! Now to make the good guy look as good and heroic as possible we have to exaggerate the evilness of The British.

Hollywood Producers claim artistic license in the name of entertainment but is this an attempt to change historical fact?
    It's called historical FICTION. That means that all we have to do is take a Historical event (such as The Revolutionary War) and loosely base the film upon it by including events and characters that were actually there.

Neal
    Last edited by studio1acom; Jun 17, 2001 at 06:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neal,

The problem is, it doesn't do us much good on the old PR front, if you know what I mean?
    I can't say I am very comfortable visiting your country when we are labelled with cowardice and sadism through the film industry...

The wimen go for the accent big-time though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Burn Hollywood Burn

Originally posted by studio1acom

Your forgetting whom these films main market is...AMERICANS. That's whom Hollywood aims most of their movies at. So logically, they will favor Americans. Sure almost all of them will be released worldwide, and they also make a ton of money over there, but American is typically the primary audience.
    Hollywood movies almost never make a profit from their USA release. What profit they make comes in from International releases and video sales.

American movies aim to entertain everybody in all countries. Without large popularity overseas, every American movie would remain in debt.

The Hollywood movies do not favour Americans because Americans are their target audience - that would be suicidal marketing strategy. They favour Americans because they want to promote America to the world.

Furthermore, if a movie is based on an actual event, there is a certain responsibility to the people it is based on to be as accurate as possible. If in any way the film does not portray actual events accurately, the film is altered such that certain character's names and/or other names (such as place names and battle names) are changed, and the film carries a disclaimer to the likes of "all characters and events are ficticious and are not intended to resemble actual characters or events" or so.

Otherwise the film has a responsibility to the people originally involved in the event to be as accurate as possible. There would be a great deal of legal trouble if a movie altered what it claimed to be an actual event, in such a way as to defame certain people.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 17, 2001 at 10:41.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog · Twitter · Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework · Jokes · Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    I think that the portrayal of Australia and Australians by the Americans (in some cases) is hilarious! Not only do they fail to realise that our country is at least as large in area as the USA, and a lot larger than all of central Europe combined, but they also do a very bad Australian accent Australia isn't all like far north queensland, you know. Or Uluru. It's like they show people driving away from Sydney to Uluru where in reality it would be a 3 day journey. I really don't mind though. At least they seem to like us, in a quirky way.
    Hollywood doesn't even get its OWN country right! To wit: remember in the X Files movie, the scene in the little boy's back yard that was supposed to be in a suburb on the outskirts of Dallas? It was in the middle of a desert, with mountains in the background. There's no terrain like that within 500 miles of Dallas! It's just that Hollywood and the rest of the country thinks all of Texas is a desert dotted with cacti. Oh, we laughed! Even the downtown scenes looked nothing like Dallas.

Speaking of bad accents: I remember years ago they used to show this commercial on TV for Shake 'n' Bake (a breadcrumb mix to fry chicken). The mother would say, "Ah yewsed Shike 'n' Bike!" And her little girl would pipe up, "An' ah hay-upped!" It's no wonder Yankees and Northerners think we're all hicks.

And don't even get me started on that TV show about J.R. Ewing ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of X-files is filmed in Canada isn't it???

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More films are filmed in canada then any other country on earth (by hollywood).

On a side note, way back when someone said:

"A lot of American movies over-emphasise the importance the US have in the great world wars or in ficticious wars, etc"

I'd like to point out that many americans somehow believe they've played a much greater role than they have. I'm not sure if this is patriotic pride or something to do with the school system but I went through this on another board:

http://boards.swirve.com/board.cgi?b...3&spec=4187835

My 2 cents worth
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am absolutly speechless (and that does not happen often) who wrote their History books!!!!

studiococom, which one are you??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    There is Outlook on the Mac. There is Office 98 on the Mac - not 97. I don't think there is a 2000 version, and I haven't heard anything about Office XP on the Mac either.
    There is actually an Office:2001 for the Mac OS.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by z7
    How many GREAT empires have there been, The Romans... uh? (my history isn't that good! )
    Hmmm..how many of you don't know your history?

The Assyrians
    The Babylonians
    The Medo-Persians
    The French Empire (Naplolean)

and lastly, one of the largest empires ever known, the Empire of Alexander the Great.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me that's for sure...

But at least I won't let the small historical knowledge I have be twisted by biased/historically inncorrect movies
    Last edited by z7; Jun 19, 2001 at 02:11.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sowen: RUFF.

It's my job to kick people around when they are out of line

I go by studiococo, RUFF and hizlamb everywhere on the internet. So if you see those names it's either me or an impersonator Oh, and sunrisegraphix occasionally.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    The French Empire (Naplolean)
    Ouch, two typos in the same name It's Napoléon
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]